To those who have interviewed..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

niv3k

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How did you guys do? Could you tell me more about your experience? Did you stutter a lot? What about filler words such as like, um, ya know, etc things like that? Did you ramble because you were nervous?

I purchased a little dental school interview guide and I've been reading and trying to prepare for the possible questions they may ask. I started answering the questions out loud to myself and wow this is so much harder than I thought it'd be. I find myself saying umm and like every other sentence or I just plain forget what else I was going to say. I can't even imagine what it would be like with at a real dental interview, I would probably be stuttering all through out it. I've had 1 mock interview before and that was a disaster, I got so nervous that I started rambling on for 15 minutes (it's suppose to be a 30 minute interview) when they asked tell me about yourself. I have one more mock interview (really it's a committee interview) and it's something I really want to get as ready as possible for.

What else did you guys do to get ready?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

First, watch this Ted Talk: http://www.ted.com/talks/amy_cuddy_your_body_language_shapes_who_you_are
Next, don't prepare your answers.
Make a brainstorming web with your name in the center. Connecting to your name put all the reasons why you are a good candidate for dental school (i.e. good communication skills, responsible, good student, dedicated to others), and then back up those reasons with your experiences.
Go through your application and know everything about it. Why did you join the knitting club? When did you start shadowing? What happened when you withdrew from this class? What's something we should know about you that is not in your application?
Every 20-something is going to stutter a little or use filler words, but if you're confident in yourself as an applicant and you know that you belong in dental school, these mishaps will stay at a minimum.
The day of the interview, use the advice from the Ted Talk and be confident in yourself as an applicant. The rest will all come naturally.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for your advice teethlover! That brainstorm web was also in the book I purchased lol! I will definitely check out that video.

If anyone else has any good tips or input let me know.

Members don't see this ad :)
You hit the normal couple I suggest: say things out loud because what sounds good in your head sounds ridiculous when you try to articulate it and mock interviews. As suggested, don't memorize anything. If you review some possible answers for the most common questions, then you'll just have an outline to quickly reach for in the back of your brain. As for mock interviews, do more. Or just film yourself if you're feeling brave. You need honest, third-party feedback (i.e., mom or friend will not do). Also, although you'll be nervous, don't pounce on the "why you" question. Especially if it's one of the first questions. By pounce, I mean don't go nuts taking more than a minute or two to answer. I've seen people basically review their whole application in that answer and it got boring quickly. Make sure to answer the question, don't pontificate and go off on some weird tangent just trying to force in more of your application points. This is your time to shine and all that, but you need to be tactful about it.

And don't say 'hard working' or something else generic for 'why you'. It's safe to say that we all worked hard to get to this point. You might as well say 'I'm nice'.

Thanks guys for the input. Where/who do you guys suggest for more mock interviews? I tried searching my school to see if they offered them but they said the mock interviews were for business majors and such. I'm not really sure where or who else I could go to. I do know what you mean though, I've tried interviewing with my girlfriend and we just ended up joking around the whole time.

I usually get my friends to help me out; we save the joking around for after. :)

If you can talk and hold a semi-intelligent conversation with a person, you will be fine. Don't hype up the interview so much or it will just make you nervous and neurotic. If you are passionate about dentistry and have decent social skills (which you WILL need as a dentist), then you have nothing to worry about.