To wait... or not to wait?! Canadian looking for MCAT score submission advice!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

snazzed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I've been a lurker here for the past couple of months. I'm a Canadian resident looking to apply to AMCAS this cycle.

I'm retaking my MCAT on June 20th, having taken it once last year and got 33 (14/7/12). The 7 in verbal is obviously not good, hence the retake. I kind of bombed the verbal the first time because I was too nervous. My average for aamc practice tests was between a 9-10, so I'm hoping for something in that range this time around. My ECs is average I'd say, but a little bit short on clinical experience (about 40 hours in total so far combined of shadowing and hospital volunteering). cGPA is about 3.95 on AMCAS scale. I'm finishing up my application, so it should be ready in a week or so.

So here is my dilemma... I know the state schools, unlike Canadian ones do rolling admissions, so the earlier you submit, the better. My new MCAT score won't be released until July 20th. Option 1: I indicate that I'm going to be retaking, so then they won't look at my application at all until mid-late August, or option 2: I just submit it now with a low verbal but hope that that submitting it early helps.

I guess my question boils down to... how much does delaying the application by a month from June to July matter overall? I'm not very familiar with the states system, so if anyone would be willing to give some advice, I would really really appreciate it!

Here are all the schools I was looking at:

SUNY Upstate
Kentucky University
Hawaii University
Michigan State University
Albert Einstein University
Dartmouth University
Wayne State
George Washington U
Georgetown University
NYMC
Case Western
Jefferson
Oakland
St. Louis
Boston University
Chicago Medical School
Medical College of Wisconsin

Thank you in advance :)

Members don't see this ad.

So I've been a lurker here for the past couple of months. I'm a Canadian resident looking to apply to AMCAS this cycle.

I'm retaking my MCAT on June 20th, having taken it once last year and got 33 (14/7/12). The 7 in verbal is obviously not good, hence the retake. I kind of bombed the verbal the first time because I was too nervous. My average for aamc practice tests was between a 9-10, so I'm hoping for something in that range this time around. My ECs is average I'd say, but a little bit short on clinical experience (about 40 hours in total so far combined of shadowing and hospital volunteering). cGPA is about 3.95 on AMCAS scale. I'm finishing up my application, so it should be ready in a week or so.

So here is my dilemma... I know the state schools, unlike Canadian ones do rolling admissions, so the earlier you submit, the better. My new MCAT score won't be released until July 20th. Option 1: I indicate that I'm going to be retaking, so then they won't look at my application at all until mid-late August, or option 2: I just submit it now with a low verbal but hope that that submitting it early helps.

I guess my question boils down to... how much does delaying the application by a month from June to July matter overall? I'm not very familiar with the states system, so if anyone would be willing to give some advice, I would really really appreciate it!

Here are all the schools I was looking at:

SUNY Upstate
Kentucky University
Hawaii University
Michigan State University
Albert Einstein University
Dartmouth University
Wayne State
George Washington U
Georgetown University
NYMC
Case Western
Jefferson
Oakland
St. Louis
Boston University
Chicago Medical School
Medical College of Wisconsin

Thank you in advance :)

You're in a bit of a pickle here. IMO I'd definitely wait until you get the new scores back before submitting. The problem here is that 7 VS. AdComs do not care what the reason is (nervousness, GI issues), they want to see you can critically think outside of sciences and as such, you'll most likely be shot down during the secondaries while they're combing through apps (add on top of that being an international student and you just might be SOL for an interview).

So wait for the better scores, even with rolling admissions you'll still have a shot.
If it really bothers you then wait till next years cycle to apply right away.

Cheers!

I agree with the above poster. The 7 in verbal is going to tank your application especially considering that you are applying from Canada. You have some awesome science section scores. Bump that verbal up a few points and apply late. I think that would be much better than applying early with a low verbal score.