To wait or not to wait: Updating application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nyrgiant

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, so I've put in all my secondaries since the first week of August. Since then I decided I will be moving home to pursue a few classes that should help my application (i.e. biochemistry and medicinal chemistry). In the meantime I am setting up some potential shadowing opportunities as well as a job either in the hospital or something non-clinical, hopefully not a restaurant job but you never know. So my questions is should I update schools about my new classes and then follow up with the shadowing/hospital position or wait and do it all together. I just don't want to hold off to long but I also don't want to flood their inbox with updates a week or two apart. Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all, so I've put in all my secondaries since the first week of August. Since then I decided I will be moving home to pursue a few classes that should help my application (i.e. biochemistry and medicinal chemistry). In the meantime I am setting up some potential shadowing opportunities as well as a job either in the hospital or something non-clinical, hopefully not a restaurant job but you never know. So my questions is should I update schools about my new classes and then follow up with the shadowing/hospital position or wait and do it all together. I just don't want to hold off to long but I also don't want to flood their inbox with updates a week or two apart. Any thoughts?

Wait until you have something meaningful to send in. Just telling them "Hey I'm moving home and plan on doing some nifty stuff" isn't going to benefit you. When you can give them better detail and some milestone type things is when I would suggest you update. It's like facebook, who cares about every little detail of your day, we want to know the good stuff... :)

Wait until you have something meaningful to send in. Just telling them "Hey I'm moving home and plan on doing some nifty stuff" isn't going to benefit you. When you can give them better detail and some milestone type things is when I would suggest you update. It's like facebook, who cares about every little detail of your day, we want to know the good stuff... :)

Yea but isn't taking Biochemistry something they should know? I consider that a big part of the process if I'm pursuing a class I believe will help my future in medical school. My main concern is if I should add my school related stuff as an update and then follow up later with the shadowing and hospital work when I find out exactly who I will be following (its between two MDs right now) or if I should do them both together at a later date, say a few weeks from now.

Why didn't you just list biochem as a future course on AMCAS?