To what degree does your residency program determine your salary as physician

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sjumcat

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do all anesthesiology residency programs command about the same salary? Or does the name brand significantly influence salary?
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I
Do all anesthesiology residency programs command about the same salary? Or does the name brand significantly influence salary?
Thanks
I am unaware of any groups adjusting salary for training program. Most have a "usual" track they offer. In my observations even adjustments for fellowships are hardly enough to justify the year's loss of income. The only potential advantage would be beating out another candidate.

Reactions: 1 user
The RRC tries very hard to make residencies a commodity - all the same. They succeed well enough that I've never heard of adjusting a job offer based on training program.

Members don't see this ad :)
It doesn't influence salary. However it may influence your being interviewed or hired for jobs or fellowships.
Not all programs are the same, nor do they turn out equivalent residents. The people doing the hiring know that.

It's not the residency program that determines your salary as an attending, it's your network (which recommends you). In translation: it's not what you know, but whom you know.