Today in vet school I learned...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
yesterday i learned that the thing we call a "refrigerator" is actually generically called an ice box. the term refrigerator became the popular and common name based on the popularity of a company called mccray refrigerators. this is like the emasculatome. commonly called a burdizzio because of the brand popularity but the generic name is emasculatome. :shrug: thats what i learned in large animal surgery

And it's called an ice box because back in the olden days you would actually get giant blocks of ice to put in there and that's what kept stuff cold!

Actually, people use ice box/refrigerator pretty interchangeably in New England. Not all the time, but often enough that people would know what you meant if you told them to put something in the ice box.

Members don't see this ad.

Today we learned dogs have 26 ribs. The professor asked us all how many ribs a dog has, and the entire class yells out 13. We were obviously thinking pairs of ribs instead of individual ribs. :laugh: Oops!

We also learned today that B. cereus can render a cow "udderly" useless. Yes, the professor said it in that way.

Today in vet school I learned that I am going to veterinary school, not "veterinarian school", and after I graduate, I will be a veterinarian, not a "vetinarian".

What do you mean I won't be a vetinarian after I get out of veterinarian school I want my money back :mad:

Members don't see this ad :)
the best for us was when we had out halfway to clinics party and whoever made the signs misspelled veterinarian (can't remember how) for the veterinarian school party

Someone once thought I said "vending" school and was like "what, like, vending machines...?" Yes, I'm going to school to learn how to stock vending machines. :smack:

When I was in my early teens an elderly man asked me what I wanted to do when I grew up. I told him I wanted to be a vet. He replied, "Ohh, a veteran" with a sage nod.

. . . I thought it was best to just let that one go. :laugh:

Reactions: 1 user
TIVSIL....that llamas and alpacas have a cat's temperament. In a battle of wills, you will always lose. :laugh:

Handling them is pretty fun though. I was amazed by the restraint techniques and how well they work with such minimal, light contact.

When talking to clients, even though you express the anal sacs, use the term anal glands instead or clients can mishear you and think you said anal sex..

When talking to clients, even though you express the anal sacs, use the term anal glands instead or clients can mishear you and think you said anal sex..

OMG is that why? Like officially? I always wondered why our professors make such a big deal about us knowing what we're actually expressing, while upholding the confusing layman term. I was always like-"Just tell the client what is going on! Don't perpetrate the anal gland myth!" Now I get it. No one wants to be mistaken for saying anal sex in a professional setting.

Members don't see this ad :)
Today in vet school, I learned how easy it is to study the inside of my eyelids after taking an exam from 8-12 and then having a 2 hour lecture in a dark room over radiographs and ultrasounds.

*winces* That's a very long exam. And I can't stay awake during regular radiology lectures.

the cardiac silhouette should be the size of a lemon in a cat. professor: "and don't go asking my what size lemon, i mean a NORMAL lemon"
why is that funny (to us)? because in Grenada, we have lemons that are grapefruit sized and weirdly knobby and lemons that are pingpong ball sized. no "normal" lemons. they're also commonly green. she's a VP from edinburgh and apparently a previous class asked her about lemon size haha

Today in vet school, I learned all about Dr. Holt's super-top-secret unpublished research and then he pinky-swore us all to silence. :cool:

In regards to canine estrus...if you see cornflakes, add milk!!! *dying inside*

In regards to canine estrus...if you see cornflakes, add milk!!! *dying inside*

Ah, vet med: ruining everything you like to eat, one item at a time.

Pathologists are the worst.

"Scrambled eggs..."
Me: No.
"Chocolate milk..."
Me: No!
"Tomato soup..."
Me: Seriously??

Better not ever see a tumor or lesion that looks like girl scout cookies or something, or I'm running out of the classroom with my hands over my ears.

Reactions: 2 users

"Scrambled eggs..."
"Chocolate milk..."
"Tomato soup..."

Better not ever see a tumor or lesion that looks like girl scout cookies or something, or I'm running out of the classroom with my hands over my ears.

According to my pathology profs, granulomas are like peanut m&ms. You're welcome.

"Scrambled eggs..."
"Chocolate milk..."
"Tomato soup..."

I had a high school biology teacher describe a prolapsed anus that had faeces and maggots stuck on it as a cinnabon... He said it looked like the person had just sat on a cinnabon, then he showed us the picture... I can't look at cinnabons the same way.

Learned some basic tips and tricks for lameness evals! For once I'm looking forward to my homework....

Today I learned that women take more steps when they are ovulating.

I am SO FECKING GLAD that humans aren't reflex ovulators

Reactions: 1 users
The professor when talking about antibiotic resistance:

"Some bacteria are very promiscuous and will gladly conjugate with and share their plasmids with many other bacteria."

Today I learned that women take more steps when they are ovulating.

Don't cows also? Thats why some dairy farms use pedometers for their breeding programs? I would assume its no different but I'm not sure of the reason.

Why's that?
Apparently in other species it's to seek out a mate, so I'm assuming it has something to do with that? :p
Don't cows also? Thats why some dairy farms use pedometers for their breeding programs? I would assume its no different but I'm not sure of the reason.
Yep! It's the same for pigs and rats too.

TIVSIL that I was doing a scrotal ablation with my castration instead of a regular pre-scrotal castration just as I was about to cut. Thanks guys.

I also learned that on surgery days, I eat like a starved pregnant woman when we get out.

Anaesthesia Lecturer in discussing the importance of local anaesthetics for some procedures, for example, teat surgeries...

"Whoever thinks that teat or dehorning surgery is a minor procedure step to the front of the class and let me cut your nipples off now."

Reactions: 2 users
Today I disected an eye and magnified a sentance using the lens. Ophtho is <3 Our professors are sooooo cool!

Oh, I totally buy the 'purpose'... I'm just wondering what the mechanism is.

I mean, c'mon. We all know why women wear high heels. ;)
To be honest, I was not paying attention much in that class. I just happened to catch that part of the lecture along with the jokes that went with it. I'm curious to know what causes it too. I'll admit I've caught myself pacing sometimes out of restlessness when I'm really excited about something after receiving good news or when stressed.
We're supposed to wear high heels??? *Checks her rules of how to be a woman memo board... * Definitely did not get that memo...
Wait...high heels attract men? I don't think I got that memo either. :p I prefer to wear heels for dancing.

Oh, I totally buy the 'purpose'... I'm just wondering what the mechanism is.

I mean, c'mon. We all know why women wear high heels. ;)

To be taller?

I'm already taller than at least half the men I encounter, so adding heels to that equation scares all of them away! It's a good trick for when I want to be intimidating though. :p

I learned that drinking still beats studying!

Don't shake dead rat. Or eat them. Badness will ensue.

Don't shake dead rat. Or eat them. Badness will ensue.

This reminds me of a story that a vet I worked with told me....

Basic moral of that story: If a small pet exotic bites your finger, do NOT instinctively shake your hand... as it can result in a flying mouse, hamster, rat, gerbil and they don't tend to land in a way that is consistent with them still being alive.

Basic moral of that story: If a small pet exotic bites your finger, do NOT instinctively shake your hand... as it can result in a flying mouse, hamster, rat, gerbil and they don't tend to land in a way that is consistent with them still being alive.

"Reflexive rodent flinging syndrome" is what I believe our lab animal vet called it.

Toady I learned that you should eat the morning of pathology Friday. As having lab classes from 9-12:30 and not eating is not a good idea. Especially starting at around 11, when you start getting a bit dizzy and that happens to also be the time that your group is in the post mortem room. So no food + dizzy + post mortem room smell + professor randomly picking on students to present things in front of the class that you only looked at for maybe a minute = bad. Luckily, I only had waves of lightheadedness, but still, must eat the morning of pathology Friday is the lesson here.

Toady I learned that you should eat the morning of pathology Friday. As having lab classes from 9-12:30 and not eating is not a good idea. Especially starting at around 11, when you start getting a bit dizzy and that happens to also be the time that your group is in the post mortem room. So no food + dizzy + post mortem room smell + professor randomly picking on students to present things in front of the class that you only looked at for maybe a minute = bad. Luckily, I only had waves of lightheadedness, but still, must eat the morning of pathology Friday is the lesson here.

This reminds me... A couple weeks ago I learned that full surgical gear (cap, mask, gown, gloves) and a head full of sinus congestion is a bad combination that will very quickly see you saying hello to the floor. Luckily that was only a cadaver surgery lab and by the time my live lab rolled around the next week, I was more or less better. I also didn't actually faint, but only because I figured out that I was going to and called over one of the profs to help me.

Have to share this part of my anaesthesia notes about electrical defbrillation:

"Do not order 'stand clear' with a weak and unconvincing voice. Prepare for the event! Stand upright, chest out, clear the throat, flare the nostrils, take a deep breath and bellow loudly in a manly fashion. Do not spoil the drama-charged event by electrocuting yourself: ensure your hands are gel-free and that oesophageal stethoscopes are disconnected from the subject (otherwise you will fry you brains and have to spend the rest of your career as an orthopaedic surgeon)."

Reactions: 4 users