Today in vet school I learned...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
When looking at this radiograph or horrid osteoarthritis in this dog's hips, you could see a joint mouse (because I definitely remembered that from last semester, not). So, I called it a doughnut before he went over the radiographs with us. It looked just like a little doughnut, and I was hungry. Too bad they don't all look like doughnuts, I would suggest a name change to joint doughnut. /end weirdness.

Members don't see this ad.

If you love parasit and want a video to make people go 'ewwww' go hunt on youtube for a video of heartworm removal in a dog with caval syndrome. There are a few really awesomely icky ones guaranteed to make most people (at least, non vet students) uncomfortable.
that comes later in class during the heartworm section haha

Didn't learn this in vet school, but at NAVC...

A yellow, friable liver = yellable.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
To add to the favorite words list: anything with "popliteal" as a modifier. Makes me think either of a jack-in-the-box or popcorn every time.

In neonatal mouse pups, you can see the milk in their stomachs from through their skin.

That reminds me of something I learned before vet school, while I was a tech:
Guinea pigs are born with their eyes open, so if you do a C-section on a pregnant guinea pig, be prepared to have several eyes staring up at you after you open the uterus.

That reminds me of something I learned before vet school, while I was a tech:
Guinea pigs are born with their eyes open, so if you do a C-section on a pregnant guinea pig, be prepared to have several eyes staring up at you after you open the uterus.

original.gif

Reactions: 8 users
TIL I learned that Adequan is made from bovine tracheal rings! I also learned the acronym for clinical signs of organophosphate toxicity: SLUD, which stands for salivation, lacrimation, urination, diarrhea... which made it really funny when a student immediately asked, "But wait, what does the 't' in slut stand for?"

Things told to us today:

1. A floppy anus is not a good thing.

2. When discussing idiopathic feline urinary tract disease, it was mentioned to assess the cat's environment to alleviate as much stress as possible. She told us to also be mindful of the neighbor's cats. Her example: "Does the neighbor's cat like to look through a window into the house, especially if the window is looking into where the cat litter box is. The cat might be stressed having another cat watch it use the toilet."

Today I learned that a heart can be "heart-shaped" with cardiomegaly

And I quote..."A P wave is a P wave when it's a P wave." Got that?

Members don't see this ad :)
So, we have some professors that are very good about the point that "old age is not a disease". Which I agree with 100%.

Then we have professors, like the one this morning telling us that sometimes animals with chronic blood diseases live until they "die of old age".

Seriously, last I checked old age is not a disease. If I can't put it on a differential diagnosis list, it is not a disease/condition. So don't tell me that an animal has lived to die of old age, it obviously had some other disease or problem that caused it to die at an older age.

So, we have some professors that are very good about the point that "old age is not a disease". Which I agree with 100%.

Then we have professors, like the one this morning telling us that sometimes animals with chronic blood diseases live until they "die of old age".

Seriously, last I checked old age is not a disease. If I can't put it on a differential diagnosis list, it is not a disease/condition. So don't tell me that an animal has lived to die of old age, it obviously had some other disease or problem that caused it to die at an older age.

I was talking about this recently with a friend who is a nurse in human medicine. Up until maybe two or three decades ago, it was totally common for people to die of "old age" and that was a completely acceptable cause of death. Now of course we know that there's always some underlying disease process - maybe old age makes the patient more prone to it, but old age is never the diagnosis any more. I think some of the older doctors/professors are so used to it being a valid cause of death that they haven't gotten out of the habit of using it yet.

I was talking about this recently with a friend who is a nurse in human medicine. Up until maybe two or three decades ago, it was totally common for people to die of "old age" and that was a completely acceptable cause of death. Now of course we know that there's always some underlying disease process - maybe old age makes the patient more prone to it, but old age is never the diagnosis any more. I think some of the older doctors/professors are so used to it being a valid cause of death that they haven't gotten out of the habit of using it yet.

It is funny, because this professor is actually one of the younger ones and we have an older professor that if you say old age as a diagnosis he will give you evil glares.

I think it's just a way of saying that they live a normal lifespan and don't die of the blood disease. I don't think your professor thinks that the animal literally dies of old age. It's just easier than saying "of kidney disease or heart disease or cancer or quality of life concerns."

Today I learned that sperm are really just vet students...
116.png

Reactions: 2 users
Yesterday I learned about cerebellar hypoplasia, and this cat:

When immuno professor was asking if he had taught us about a certain macrophage, someone had guessed the name autophage, and he was like noooo, that is when people chew there own limbs off... thats not good. There is something seriously wrong with those people.

Reactions: 1 users
I learned that socks can make excellent models of the equine musclocavernous penis and prepuce, and this (quoting a classmate's beautiful facebook status): "Today, in behavior lecture, I watched the Associate Dean and Director of Academic Affairs of the 3rd-ranked vet school in the nation crouch behind a podium and imitate a macaw peeking around a corner to creepily stalk his unwanted housemate. This is why my school is better than yours."

yesterday in vet school i learned that if you spill injectable b-vitamins on your hand, you will smell them forever. today i learned that not even the stink of cow or cow blood can take the smell away...:annoyed:

I learned that socks can make excellent models of the equine musclocavernous penis and prepuce, and this (quoting a classmate's beautiful facebook status): "Today, in behavior lecture, I watched the Associate Dean and Director of Academic Affairs of the 3rd-ranked vet school in the nation crouch behind a podium and imitate a macaw peeking around a corner to creepily stalk his unwanted housemate. This is why my school is better than yours."

Our professors hold parties and provide us with alcohol and food......

Also, rankings mean crap. And comparing schools is ridiculous. Each school has pros and cons, no vet school is better than any other vet school.

Ignoring annoying rank comments, that lecture was pretty darn hilarious. The bird would peek his head around corners and plan on attacking the prof's legs, but he wouldn't realize that his beak was showing... so prof lived in somewhat eternal fear of wayward bird beak appearing a couple inches off the ground around corners. :) (Told much better than this, with demonstrations...)

Reactions: 1 users
And sound effects! The ranking/job position just show that he's supposed to be this straight-laced important guy and he's running around a lecture hall demonstrating social calls of parrots.

while studying for my tox exam tomorrow, i learned that it would take nearly 20x the amount of neurotoxic rat bait (bromethalin) to kill my dog than my guinea pig (at the LD50 dose). physiology is crazy!! 3.65mg/kg for a dog vs. 1000 mg/kg for a guinea pig! (LD50)

That *apparently* the thymus atrophies because we don't laugh enough when we get older...not to worry though, laughing and tapping yourself on the sternum will bring it back!

Yup. :D

That no matter how immune to feces I thought I was, being this far along in vet school, it turns out that if my bare hand is getting actively pooped on and I can't move my hand away, it still grosses me out. A lot! Thanks bovine AI course, for showing me that indeed poop is still gross.

That *apparently* the thymus atrophies because we don't laugh enough when we get older...not to worry though, laughing and tapping yourself on the sternum will bring it back!

Yup. :D
What, really?

I knew about this before vet school, but still the first time I heard someone call it that, I thought it was just a nickname due to the suckiness of it. I was floored to find that no, it IS actually called that.

I hadn't listened to the lecture, so when I heard a classmate refer to it as that, I figure it was something this particular professor called it. She's hilarious and from the UK and tells funny stories all the time, so I could see it happening, but nope.

What, really?

Only if you're a yogi.

Our anatomy prof is a yoga instructor too...and she was told that in a yoga seminar thing. She made us all laugh and tap our chests to regenerate our thymuses...quite amusing.

Today I learned that there's a new type of suture that you don't have to knot. It's got barbs that go both ways so you start in the middle and then pull it like a zip tie.

Today I learned that I have no idea how to change a vacuum filter...vet student probs. Clearly I am a fully functioning adult.

Today I learned that heroine addicts are frequently constipated due to decreased GI motility. To counter that, you can apparently go smoke crack. Just make sure you're within 5-15 minutes from a bathroom because it's pretty immediate.

Today I learned that there's a new type of suture that you don't have to knot. It's got barbs that go both ways so you start in the middle and then pull it like a zip tie.

Quills. Not sure for animals but they suck in humans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Today I learned that heroine addicts are frequently constipated due to decreased GI motility. To counter that, you can apparently go smoke crack. Just make sure you're within 5-15 minutes from a bathroom because it's pretty immediate.
Yeah, constipation's a common result from opiate use. Finally, I can get my fix in multiple senses of the word!

Quills. Not sure for animals but they suck in humans.
Reminded me of a case at work we had a few months ago of a dog that had a bunch of porcupine quills stuck in him. Majority had been taken out by a vet already, but then the owner found some more - we had to remove one from his third eyelid! Very lucky it wasn't in his eye.
Not exactly learned in vet school as I'm not there yet >_> but I got to search the VIN message boards for the dr to find experiences with removing quills (we don't usually see them in the city!). Learned that a big risk for them is they can migrate farther into the body... most of the posts warned quills on the thorax and abdomen can be dangerous because they risk migrating inwards and could puncture into internal organs, and ones in the face could migrate into eyes or even the brain. Crazy stuff.

In immuno, snow white would have undergone apoptosis if pr ince charming didn't come wake her up.