Today in vet school I learned...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reminded me of a case at work we had a few months ago of a dog that had a bunch of porcupine quills stuck in him. Majority had been taken out by a vet already, but then the owner found some more - we had to remove one from his third eyelid! Very lucky it wasn't in his eye.
Not exactly learned in vet school as I'm not there yet >_> but I got to search the VIN message boards for the dr to find experiences with removing quills (we don't usually see them in the city!). Learned that a big risk for them is they can migrate farther into the body... most of the posts warned quills on the thorax and abdomen can be dangerous because they risk migrating inwards and could puncture into internal organs, and ones in the face could migrate into eyes or even the brain. Crazy stuff.

I meant Quills are the name of that barbed suture. But yes I'm sure porcupine quills are a bitch as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad.

Reminded me of a case at work we had a few months ago of a dog that had a bunch of porcupine quills stuck in him. Majority had been taken out by a vet already, but then the owner found some more - we had to remove one from his third eyelid! Very lucky it wasn't in his eye.
Not exactly learned in vet school as I'm not there yet >_> but I got to search the VIN message boards for the dr to find experiences with removing quills (we don't usually see them in the city!). Learned that a big risk for them is they can migrate farther into the body... most of the posts warned quills on the thorax and abdomen can be dangerous because they risk migrating inwards and could puncture into internal organs, and ones in the face could migrate into eyes or even the brain. Crazy stuff.

We saw a few cases in lectures where quills or grass awns had found their way into pericardium, lungs, etc. so weird!

My 2 ER admits yesterday had a summed PCV of 12%. Neither were in all that bad of shape at presentation. Lesson: chronic anemia can get real low without too bad of effects

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
My 2 ER admits yesterday had a summed PCV of 12%. Neither were in all that bad of shape at presentation. Lesson: chronic anemia can get real low without too bad of effects

For reals... this goes with lots of things that are chronic I've learned this year. Recently saw a dog whose MRI showed a huuuuuuuge intradural mass that pretty much only left 20% of the cross-sectional area of the cervical spinal cord intact. I expected to find a completely down dog in the exam room when I walked in. Instead, perfectly normal dog who just recently started showing some scuffing of her hind toes. Her gait abnormality was so subtle, I couldn't believe it. Dog was still running miles a day with the owner with no problems.

Also had a cat with CKD with a creat of 14! who just started acting not right. A day of diuresis brought it down to 10 or so... and she became totally normal. She was pigging out on a renal diet the next morning. If no one said anything, you wouldn't have noticed there was anything wrong with her except her PU/PD.

Really sad case with a weiner dog who came in to get MRI'd for a likely disk herniation (reluctance to go up stairs and jump on couch), who instead got an incidental finding on pre-anesthetic bloodwork of end-stage kidney failure... Was eating and drinking well at the time of presentation. I don't remember how azotemic this dog was, but it was bad. BP was >300mmHg when it was finally checked.

It's pretty goddam crazy how much the body can compensate when things are chronic.

Today I learned that DEET works by hiding your body heat and moisture from insects, which sense you using those markers. Literally the most interesting I thing found in an entire day spent studying toxicology.

Reactions: 1 users
Yesterday during my ambulatory day, I learned that all I should need to know for my cardio mid-term is "lubdub." Oh, if only.....
we had a visiting dutch professor - over there its "burp turp" :D
Today I learned that DEET works by hiding your body heat and moisture from insects, which sense you using those markers. Literally the most interesting I thing found in an entire day spent studying toxicology.
i wanna learn useful and interesting things like that in tox...

Yesterday during my ambulatory day, I learned that all I should need to know for my cardio mid-term is "lubdub." Oh, if only.....
I start cardio next week =/ I'm a whee bit nervous because I have no prior knowledge of cardio.

Today in path they showed us histo from a cat that had aspirated its own brain tissue due to trauma. I didn't WANT to know that was possible. :( And now I can't get the mental image out of that event my head. Probably partially because I'm always much more disturbed when they show us things that killed cats, because as much as I may seem obsessed with birds, cats are my lifelong number one love...

Today in path they showed us histo from a cat that had aspirated its own brain tissue due to trauma. I didn't WANT to know that was possible. :( And now I can't get the mental image out of that event my head. Probably partially because I'm always much more disturbed when they show us things that killed cats, because as much as I may seem obsessed with birds, cats are my lifelong number one love...

ugh, yuck. That's not enjoyable.

Members don't see this ad :)
The general rule for cancer is cancer does what it wants.

The general rule for cancer is cancer does what it wants.
Which is why "neoplasia" is on every differential list ever.

Ethmoidal hematoma - not a hematoma, and rarely ethmoidal. And a grade 1 laryngeal hemiplegia is.... a perfectly normal horse. Go home, equine med, you're drunk.

Last edited:
Some of my repro knowledge has been the stuff that's stuck with me the most so far :lol: Can't wait for therio next year ;)

I'm really not a therio fan (redhead can attest to this; she's spent a lot of time listening to me whine about therio), but some of it definitely sticks with you.

In today's 6 hour derm marathon, I learned that demodex eggs look like pregnant bananas, and some vet somewhere gave himself ear mites to see what it was like.

"If you don't use your neurons, you'll lose them. So don't just sit around smoking pot. Sit around smoking pot, while doing a crossword puzzle!"

Reactions: 4 users
My parasitology prof told us about that guy when I went to vet school - Fall 1997 :D
Our parasitology professor gave himself Giardia, and has a Giardia trophozoite tattoo. True story. He also ate meat infected with (I think) Ovine cysticercosis on purpose. It isn't known to cause any problems in humans and I guess he wanted to be sure....

:eek: what is wrong with your professors?!?! lol true dedication I guess..o_O

Today I learned that the term herpes means "creep"

Today I learned that some bulldogs are born with only one coronary artery that bifurcates and wraps around the heart. Bulldogs are also prone to getting pulmonic valve stenosis. The first ballooning procedure ever performed to open up a stenotic pulmonic valve was done in a bulldog in the 1980s before they tried it on a child. Ballooning is contraindicated in bulldogs with one bifurcating coronary artery, since the balloon can tear the coronary artery and kill the animal. The bulldog they happened to do the procedure on had only one coronary artery, but the procedure was inexplicably successful. If the dog had died, it may have been another few decades before the procedure was attempted again in human patients. Go figure!

Today I learned that some bulldogs are born with only one coronary artery that bifurcates and wraps around the heart. Bulldogs are also prone to getting pulmonic valve stenosis. The first ballooning procedure ever performed to open up a stenotic pulmonic valve was done in a bulldog in the 1980s before they tried it on a child. Ballooning is contraindicated in bulldogs with one bifurcating coronary artery, since the balloon can tear the coronary artery and kill the animal. The bulldog they happened to do the procedure on had only one coronary artery, but the procedure was inexplicably successful. If the dog had died, it may have been another few decades before the procedure was attempted again in human patients. Go figure!

I remember learning about the single coronary artery but I don't think we got all of that backstory except that the ballooning procedure is contraindicated. Very interesting.

my professor prefers to describe it as "shredding" or "exploding" the coronary artery :laugh:

I know... but I swear anything bordering Canada should just be 'North.'

And this doesn't FEEL like the South... I mean, I've been to Mississippi. This ain't Mississippi.

Can you regularly get sweet tea? I feel like that's my standard for "South". Although, having grown up in Kentucky and then moved down to Alabama, there are definitely degrees of South.

Then it's not really the south. In some places in the south they give you a blank look if you ask for anything other than sweet tea.

Indeed. If you order iced tea and get something super, almost sickeningly sweet, then look over at the table next to you and see a guy dumping spoonfuls of extra sugar into his sweet tea, THEN you know you're in the south. :laugh:

Can you regularly get sweet tea? I feel like that's my standard for "South". Although, having grown up in Kentucky and then moved down to Alabama, there are definitely degrees of South.
Actually up here (canada) I've noticed if you order iced tea, it's sweet. The first place we stopped my husband went to the bathroom and I was ordering him tea. He's from Texas so of course he likes it sweet so I asked the lady "is the tea sweet or unsweetened?" And she stared at me like I had two heads :laugh:

Actually up here (canada) I've noticed if you order iced tea, it's sweet. The first place we stopped my husband went to the bathroom and I was ordering him tea. He's from Texas so of course he likes it sweet so I asked the lady "is the tea sweet or unsweetened?" And she stared at me like I had two heads :laugh:

Some of my Canadian friends like to complain that the U.S. is weird because our iced tea is not always sweetened. If you order iced tea in New England, it's a fifty-fifty chance whether it will be sweetened (as in, store-bought iced sweetened, not southern sweet tea style sweetened) or unsweetened. Some places will carry both, and most will warn you if all they have is unsweetened, but not always. Apparently the Canadians are always baffled when they order iced tea in New England and get plain cold tea. :laugh:

Some of my Canadian friends like to complain that the U.S. is weird because our iced tea is not always sweetened. If you order iced tea in New England, it's a fifty-fifty chance whether it will be sweetened (as in, store-bought iced sweetened, not southern sweet tea style sweetened) or unsweetened. Some places will carry both, and most will warn you if all they have is unsweetened, but not always. Apparently the Canadians are always baffled when they order iced tea in New England and get plain cold tea. :laugh:
the way it should be.

I'm just really glad the south started offering options. My parents are from upstate NY and I grew up drinking it unsweetened

Apparently, I need to move to New England. I would LOVE to get plain iced tea. She probably reacted like that because we don't differentiate between "sweetened" and "unsweetened" because there's only one option, and it's horrible (Nestea/Lipton). I detest the stuff. There is one place in Lunenburg, NS that serves plain iced tea and they bring you a bottle of simple syrup to sweeten it to your own taste. I order it every single time I go.

Regions are formed a lot on culture and history, as well. I'm from what is considered the "Deep South," but live in Texas. Texas is supposed to be South... And I guess it technically is... But it's not like other Southern states, except for some areas in the Southeast. I guess because it's so big. But it really kind of had its own identity. As a Southerner, I also don't consider Florida to fit the standard definition of the South--maybe I haven't visited enough or haven't visited the right places. Same goes for Oklahoma. I think it's more in the Appalachian Plains-type region. Just my take on it. :)

Really, I think it's neat how everyone perceives parts of the US differently. Such an interesting country we live in.

Regions are formed a lot on culture and history, as well. I'm from what is considered the "Deep South," but live in Texas. Texas is supposed to be South... And I guess it technically is... But it's not like other Southern states, except for some areas in the Southeast. I guess because it's so big. But it really kind of had its own identity. As a Southerner, I also don't consider Florida to fit the standard definition of the South--maybe I haven't visited enough or haven't visited the right places. Same goes for Oklahoma. I think it's more in the Appalachian Plains-type region. Just my take on it. :)

Really, I think it's neat how everyone perceives parts of the US differently. Such an interesting country we live in.

There are definitely parts of Florida that I would call "deep south". The rest of it is just retired New Englanders.

Regions are formed a lot on culture and history, as well. I'm from what is considered the "Deep South," but live in Texas. Texas is supposed to be South... And I guess it technically is... But it's not like other Southern states, except for some areas in the Southeast. I guess because it's so big. But it really kind of had its own identity.

I think it's more about the northern perception of "the Deep South". My dad's half of the family is in Georgia (and not Atlanta, either) and Midwest. My husband and his family are all Texan (a handful have moved to southern Oklahoma). I know that all southerners aren't racist, gun-carrying, women-oppressing, Confederate-flag touting, Bible-thumping wack jobs...but that's kind of the portrayal of the whole area and it gets perpetuated. I've had people recoil in horror when I tell them we're going down to Texas to visit his family...sure, it's an entirely different culture, but it isn't necessarily a bad one :shrug:

They do call me a damn yankee though. The Mason-Dixon might as well be the Artic Circle as far as they're concerned. The fact that I'm a skins fan and they're all Cowboys fans really doesn't help matters :laugh: