Today in vet school I learned...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Can you regularly get sweet tea? I feel like that's my standard for "South". Although, having grown up in Kentucky and then moved down to Alabama, there are definitely degrees of South.

I have to admit, this might be the best definition of 'south' I've ever heard.

Members don't see this ad.

Today, I learned lice eggs are called 'nits' and when monkeys sit and pick at each other's fur, they are 'nit picking'.

As a very nit-picky person myself, I can finally appreciate where that expression comes from :)

Reactions: 1 user
This was a week or so ago, but I learned where the Mason-Dixon line is and that Maryland is not part of New England (thank you, @that redhead )
I should mention that the Mason-Dixon line is really not the delineator of what is New England and what isn't. Pennsylvania's north of the mason-dixon, and is most definitely NOT part of New England.

Members don't see this ad :)
I should mention that the Mason-Dixon line is really not the delineator of what is New England and what isn't. Pennsylvania's north of the mason-dixon, and is most definitely NOT part of New England.

The conversation included defining the Mason Dixon (north vs south ) and that maryland isn't part of New England but the "mid-Atlantic". it was a general discussion of east coast geography. I promise I'm not miseducating my dear canadian classmate! :)

It went like this:
Me: Isn't Maryland considered New England?
Redhead: No it's below the Mason-Dixon line.
Me: I don't know where that is.
Redhead: It's above Maryland.

So yeah, it wasn't given as the cut off for New England/not New England. Redhead is an excellent American geography teacher.

ETA: I think I found the source my confusion. I'd never been explicitly told which starts were New England, so I made the mental leap that New England = the original thirteen colonies. Got it straightened out now!

Last edited:
It went like this:

So yeah, it wasn't given as the cut off for New England/not New England. Redhead is an excellent American geography teacher.

ETA: I think I found the source my confusion. I'd never been explicitly told which starts were New England, so I made the mental leap that New England = the original thirteen colonies. Got it straightened out now!

Bahah I thought we were talking about the south/your trip to Louisiana and Maryland not being in the south And you asking wasn't it in New England :laugh: goes to show my capacity for remembering anything especially around exams! But yes, mason Dixon is the upper border of MD :thumbup:

It went like this:

Well, I'm sure most Americans couldn't even name all the Canadian provinces and territories, so I suppose you can be forgiven not knowing what constitutes New England.

Bahah I thought we were talking about the south/your trip to Louisiana and Maryland not being in the south And you asking wasn't it in New England :laugh: goes to show my capacity for remembering anything especially around exams!

That is how we got to that point, I think. Our conversations tend to, er, meander a bit. :D

Well, I'm sure most Americans couldn't even name all the Canadian provinces and territories, so I suppose you can be forgiven not knowing what constitutes New England.

I don't even know what constitutes New England and I am a US citizen.

The US according to me....

The west coast, the four corners, Montana, the frigid north (the Dakotas), lots of open spaces (midwest), southern states, east coast, then everything northeast of about Pennsylvania/New York becomes "the mushy mess of the northeast where states are too small to really be considered separate states".... ;) :p

I can! But only because my bf used to live in Canada and he quizzed me on them before I moved here . . .

I had a Canadian classmate take this United States map quiz: http://www.jetpunk.com/quizzes/map-quiz-us-states.php It was fun to watch. :laugh:

I can! But only because my bf used to live in Canada and he quizzed me on them before I moved here . . .

I had a Canadian classmate take this United States map quiz: http://www.jetpunk.com/quizzes/map-quiz-us-states.php It was fun to watch. :laugh:
It's kinda scary that the average score is only 31/50... I hope that is because of a lot of non-Americans taking it. Then again, I probably wouldn't have gotten them all right if it weren't for the fact that I've driven across the country twice, which kinda requires knowing where the states are! And I also probably wouldn't know all the Canadian provinces if I hadn't lived in Canada for a time and have a sister who's a Canadian citizen... I would probably fail the countries of the world quiz terrible, though...

The west coast, the four corners, Montana, the frigid north (the Dakotas), lots of open spaces (midwest), southern states, east coast, then everything northeast of about Pennsylvania/New York becomes "the mushy mess of the northeast where states are too small to really be considered separate states".... ;) :p
You forgot the Mid-Atlantic! That's the best part :p And I like how Montana is its own separate region... may wanna lump Wyoming & Idaho in there too so they don't feel left out ;) Not sure what I'd call that though... the Not Quite Coastal West? Or maybe just the giant supervolcano that will end the world, that works too.

Hey now. My tiny home state totally counts. Sort of.

Members don't see this ad :)
You forgot the Mid-Atlantic! That's the best part :p And I like how Montana is its own separate region... may wanna lump Wyoming & Idaho in there too so they don't feel left out ;) Not sure what I'd call that though... the Not Quite Coastal West? Or maybe just the giant supervolcano that will end the world, that works too.

Mid-Atlantic?? What is that? I said east coast, if it is up against the Atlantic coast, it is part of the east coast... minus the mini-states in the far northeast. ;)

I maybe missed the whole area of michigan, ohio, minnesota, etc, etc... they can be the states over by the lakes (or close to them).

Yeah, I guess I can clump Wyoming and Idaho in with Montana... not sure what to call that group though... I kind of like giant supervolcano that will end the world... :laugh:

Hey now. My tiny home state totally counts. Sort of.

Is it Rhode Island?

I was watching whose line is it anyway one night and they were doing scenes from a hat. The scene they had to act out was "what the signs entering states should really say".

One of them said for Rhode Island... "Welcome to Rhode Island, thank you for visiting, please come again soon." :laugh:

Bugger, I only managed 27/50. :sorry:(I really have no bloody clue where Ohio is.) I did know them all in high school. In my defense, 50 states is way more than 10 provinces and 3 territories though!

It's kinda scary that the average score is only 31/50... I hope that is because of a lot of non-Americans taking it. Then again, I probably wouldn't have gotten them all right if it weren't for the fact that I've driven across the country twice, which kinda requires knowing where the states are! And I also probably wouldn't know all the Canadian provinces if I hadn't lived in Canada for a time and have a sister who's a Canadian citizen... I would probably fail the countries of the world quiz terrible, though...

I can't get all of them, I always get tripped up on those boring square ones in the middle. But at least I know all the names!

I don't even want to know about a world countries quiz. I'm sure my attempt would be pathetic.

How do only 60% of test takers guess Texas right? I feel like it's one of the most recognizable states just based on shape alone!

Is it Rhode Island?

I was watching whose line is it anyway one night and they were doing scenes from a hat. The scene they had to act out was "what the signs entering states should really say".

One of them said for Rhode Island... "Welcome to Rhode Island, thank you for visiting, please come again soon." :laugh:
I'm not quite sure why they separated a piece of land you can drive across in an hour. It seems kind of silly. And yes, that would be just about accurate.

Reactions: 1 users
I can't get all of them, I always get tripped up on those boring square ones in the middle. But at least I know all the names!

I don't even want to know about a world countries quiz. I'm sure my attempt would be pathetic.

I found a world quiz for ****es and giggles.....

Yeah, I won't even state my score. It was very pathetic.

Can you regularly get sweet tea? I feel like that's my standard for "South". Although, having grown up in Kentucky and then moved down to Alabama, there are definitely degrees of South.
So true!
Mine is grits. If a breakfast place serves grits as the standard side to a plate of eggs, you're in the South. Also in the South, you can get real (meaning not instant) grits in the grocery store. Thus I currently live in SW Virginia, and it is not really the South. I have to import my grits from SC.

I did this with my American classmates in UG. Don't know the NE at all. It's totally jumbled....nothing has changed there....

The West and Midwest I'm good at though, so 39/50 ain't too bad. :)

They didn't fair as well on provinces.....though some also thought Canada didn't have Valentine's Day, so I wasn't that hopeful...:laugh:

I did this with my American classmates in UG. Don't know the NE at all. It's totally jumbled....nothing has changed there....

They didn't fair as well on provinces.....though some also thought Canada didn't have Valentine's Day, so I wasn't that hopeful...:laugh:

I think the only reason I was able to get the NE states is that I've driven through all of them but Rhode Island six times a year for three years of school. Blech.

As for holidays, I've definitely had people ask me if you all have Halloween and Valentines Day and stuff :smack:

46/50... all those tiny states up in the northeast always throw me off

I've had people from the States ask if my classes here are taught in English, sooooo . . . .

I've had people from the States ask if my classes here are taught in English, sooooo . . . .

People ask me all the time if they speak English in Scotland. I am almost tempted to start saying that they speak some odd, rare, ancient Scottish language that I just happen to speak fluently.... ;)

Professor on weight loss in cats...

"So you have to be really cautious about weight loss in cats. A weight loss of 1 pound may not seem like much, but for a 10 pound cat, that is 10% of their body weight. Students before have thought, so maybe they pooped/peed before coming to the clinic. Well, if you pooped a 10% of your body weight poop, you would be rather impressed with yourself."

Reactions: 3 users
Also, if you are discussing a case involving a cat with hepatic lipidosis, IMHA and prolonged clotting factors... when the professor asks you what you want to give the cat for the bleeding issues and your brain automatically is thinking "K".... the answer is NOT potassium (although the cat needed that too), it is Vitamin K... (Yeah, I knew it was vitamin K, my brain is just in major exam mode and only thought "K" and for some reason the next thought became K= potassium.)

I can recite all 50 states in alphabetical order in under 20 seconds!

giphy.gif

I can recite the alphabet backwards.... :laugh:

Not at vet school, but today I learned that organic fertilizer is very tasty to dogs. Also very bad for them.

I have learned that exams create an induced anxiety/stress state... .I am sure I have a stress leukogram right now, also I am definitely tachycardic. Exams are bad for your health, we need a boycott....

I miss this thread! Maybe ppl can post funny stuff over the winter break?