Today is a sad day......

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jbrowndds

SMILE ON!!!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just failed Gen Chem 2. I feel like an idiot but I have had a summer from hell. I feel like giving up on dental school but I can't. Anyone else been through this. Can you come back from an F??:(

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Don't give up! Its a minor set-back but if dentistry is what you want, dont let one bad grade deter you from your ultimate goal. Focus on why you got the grade that you did, retake the class, and you'll be good! Focus on really killing your science classes to show that you can do it!

Reactions: 1 users
Retake it and get an A and you should be fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I am just going to retake it and keep going. Dang that F hurt like a bullet in the gut.

And that's why we don't put DDS in our user names.

Snarky comment aside, you can recover. You know what you have to do going forward, so it sounds like you just need a pep talk! Good luck :)

Reactions: 3 users
No one is perfect. We all have situations that affect our academic record , so don't worry about it. But just make sure you don't get an F in another class, because you don't want that to be a trend in your record

And that's why we don't put DDS in our user names.

Snarky comment aside, you can recover. You know what you have to do going forward, so it sounds like you just need a pep talk! Good luck :)

HAHA it's called speaking it into existence. Lmbo! Yeah I really needed some positivity because my family are telling me to give up. I'm not giving up but sometimes I just would like to hear YOU GOT THIS for once.

No one is perfect. We all have situations that affect our academic record , so don't worry about it. But just make sure you don't get an F in another class, because you don't want that to be a trend in your record

I feel 1000x better. I thought you guys would be like "have you considered hygiene". I would have died lol. Thanks for the words of encouragement.

Last edited:
before you go on and retake it, figure out why you failed because it only gets harder from here

I got an F in gen chem. Retook it and got an A. Manged to get to a 3.5 overall and 3.5 science when i finished college(adea calculations). Got 4 interviews so far.

Keep your head up. Now is the time to see if you really want this or not.

I got an F in gen chem. Retook it and got an A. Manged to get to a 3.5 overall and 3.5 science when i finished college(adea calculations). Got 4 interviews so far.

Keep your head up. Now is the time to see if you really want this or not.
Yes! There is hope!

I am sorry to hear that you did not do well in Gen Chem. I did not do well either. I have a C in Gen Chem 1,2, and the lab. It was difficult for me to bounce back after feeling defeated, but I revised my studying habits and worked harder. Instead of retaking the course, I moved on to Orgo. I actually did really well. I got one of the highest grades in the class and later became a TA and tutor for it. Right now I am applying to dental school and already have 3 interviews. I think you can turn it around and show that you learned from your mistakes. As others said, you should think about why you did poorly and make changes. I wish you all the best and hope that you overcome this obstacle. :)

Gen Chem is so eclectic. I just finished 1 & 2 this summer also. I did well but I'm not used to studying that hard to do well. Most of the kids sitting around me the past couple months were retaking it. My lab partner was pre-med -- we studied 10+ hours a week, and he still barely got a B. The word problems are truly hell-born. I'm a recovering music major, theory/analysis nerd, and I feel like music theory has less arbitrary, historical baggage than chemistry. Give me polychords over redox any day.

Fix it and keep going. Outliers are easy to explain if someone asks. It's the *trends* that cause problems.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just failed Gen Chem 2. I feel like an idiot but I have had a summer from hell. I feel like giving up on dental school but I can't. Anyone else been through this. Can you come back from an F??:(
It sucks, big time, but its still salvageable.... retake the class and get an A- or higher.... and don't fail anymore science classes, an F in a class puts a serious hurting on the science GPA

Retake! I dropped Chem 1 cuz I kept scoring 40's then my second time around I consistently had 90's getting me an A. Yea, like @dentalWorks says, don't fail anymore classes. One F won't ruin your life. If it did half of college students would be seeing a therapist.

I should have dropped it but I have dropped a few classes and I didn't want to look like a quitter. Well I guess one big fat D won't hurt.

Edit: Lmbo!! I started to delete that last sentence because it sounds so wrong. Nahh lol.

I should have dropped it but I have dropped a few classes and I didn't want to look like a quitter. Well I guess one big fat D won't hurt.

Edit: Lmbo!! I started to delete that last sentence because it sounds so wrong. Nahh lol.
One big fat D will leave a mark and you can get over that. 2 big fat D's and you're looking at some serious repair time.

Reactions: 2 users
I used to be a tutor for gen chem. One of the things I've realized is that A LOT of students don't know that most schools provide FREE (YES FREE-NO CASH-NO HASSEL) tutoring. Some schools have a "forgiveness" policy that basically says you never took the class and never got a grade. Just retake it, talk to your teacher, find a friend in class and study together. Also, take advantage of youtube. There is a lot of help there.

I used to be a tutor for gen chem. One of the things I've realized is that A LOT of students don't know that most schools provide FREE (YES FREE-NO CASH-NO HASSEL) tutoring. Some schools have a "forgiveness" policy that basically says you never took the class and never got a grade. Just retake it, talk to your teacher, find a friend in class and study together. Also, take advantage of youtube. There is a lot of help there.
I just transferred out to a university and won't be going back but I will be retaking the class in the spring. Because its a CC there are little to no tutors around campus during the summer. I alright now, I just need to regroup and keep it moving. I'm basically a single mom so I have my attention going to multiple things but my daughter starts school soon so it should help a little.

I just transferred out to a university and won't be going back but I will be retaking the class in the spring. Because its a CC there are little to no tutors around campus during the summer. I alright now, I just need to regroup and keep it moving. I'm basically a single mom so I have my attention going to multiple things but my daughter starts school soon so it should help a little.
Just don't give up! You got this. Keep your chin up and keep pushing on.

Thank you! I love Crash Course.

You are fine. I am an URM at FAMU. Just keep your sGPA around/above a 3.0. And I think you will be a strong applicant.

How are you doing in your other science classes?

Ps: don't let chemistry decide your future (; you good!!!!!

Failing a course doesn't just happen all of the sudden, you must've known you were on a rough spot after the first or second test. Did you try to change anything to improve your grades midway through the semester? Like sgv said, the path to dental school gets harder and you'll need to figure out what went wrong and change it. Good luck, it's doable, but it'll take work! Chem is about practice problems, I'd focus on seeing as many problems as possible second time around.

Try using Chad's videos next time. :)

please don't give up = you can still make it.

remember the only way to do well in chemistry is by doing practice problems. Do as many practice problems as you can - and those same practice problems that you see in your homework will be on the exam.