Too early to pre game the MCAT

Chemistry>Physics

Puggy
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a junior in Highschool but just out of curiosity...

Has anyone ever pregamed the MCAT in high school? I can only imagine how high your final score would be if you took it when you were junior in college. Like 4 years of doing the MCAT prep, studying during your high school summer?

And I know pre game isn't the word but ah. And I've heard the whole "u have 2 more years live up ur Highschool!!!¡11!!" speech a million times but why not start em young you know.

Members don't see this ad.

You're ridiculous hahaha. You haven't even learned the material -- how are you supposed to study for it?

The underlying assumption you're making is that studying now will improve future retention and increase your future knowledge base. The more likely scenario is that you forget everything you study in highschool because you don't know what it means (try memorizing a series of 6 random words in order, vs. a 6-word sentence with meaning) and possibly confuse yourself with a misunderstanding of the material when the time comes for you to take those classes you studied ahead for.

Trust me, this is a thoroughly discussed topic when 1st year med students talk about trying to study for the board exam you take at the end of 2nd year. It's a bad idea.

Reactions: 5 users
This
/thread
You're ridiculous hahaha. You haven't even learned the material -- how are you supposed to study for it?

The underlying assumption you're making is that studying now will improve future retention and increase your future knowledge base. The more likely scenario is that you forget everything you study in highschool because you don't know what it means (try memorizing a series of 6 random words in order, vs. a 6-word sentence with meaning) and possibly confuse yourself with a misunderstanding of the material when the time comes for you to take those classes you studied ahead for.

Trust me, this is a thoroughly discussed topic when 1st year med students talk about trying to study for the board exam you take at the end of 2nd year. It's a bad idea.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Take a shot every time you get a physics question right

Reactions: 2 users
Chill out. Start studying for the MCAT like 6 months before you take it, i.e. years from now.

Reactions: 1 user
Stop. Turn the neuroticism down, A LOT. College is more fun than can possibly be described to someone who hasn't been, so just look forward to that. Sure, being concerned about your future career is important, but at 16-17 years old you're unbelievably far from making those decisions and may end up in a different field entirely.

Has anyone ever pregamed the MCAT in high school? I can only imagine how high your final score would be if you took it when you were junior in college. Like 4 years of doing the MCAT prep, studying during your high school summer?

And I know pre game isn't the word but ah. And I've heard the whole "u have 2 more years live up ur Highschool!!!¡11!!" speech a million times but why not start em young you know.

I believe term is prestudy because Pregame in my book means the opposite of studying ( drinking before you go out..drinking).

But no I wouldn't do that. And I'll admit that I did buy an MCAT prep book my junior year of high school and acted like I knew what was going on. But I didn't.

Imagine studying for the SAT in middle school. There's no point. You need to build a foundation of knowledge and on top of that increase your critical and analytical skills before you start prepping. Don't waste precious study materials!

Great insight, but it was just a question asking whether anyone has done it. More of a poll, rather than "I'm buying MCAT prep books this summer and studying"

If you are too young to know what pregame means, it probably is to early to study for the MCAT

Buying MCAT prep books and/or prepping for the exam would be a waste of time and money in high school.

What isn't a waste is doing very well in HS subjects that are relevant to the MCAT. i.e. taking AP Chemistry, Biology and Physics and doing very well in them. And once you get a 5 in AP Chemistry you can pick up an introductory organic chem or biochem book in the summer. And after you've gotten a 5 in AP Bio maybe pick up a genetics book or a physiology book.

But don't focus too much on this at the expense of other things. (i.e. your math class, your friends, your SATs, your extra-curriculars, sports/recreation, college application, etc.)

are you asian?

Lol u want to pregame the mcat? This is by far the funniest post I've ever read. what are you going to review? You don't even know what a mitochondria is yet. Only way you can really get yourself "pregamed" is if you begin to worry about reading comprehension and writing because that will carry onto your college years. I'm not sure if the new mcat actually has reading/writing but I'm sure such a critical test will retain that aspect of the exam. If you want to worry about anything make sure you know how to read and decipher scientific data and passages. Also I suggest you focus on doing well on the ACT and SAT before you worry about the mcat. That's like trying to celebrate a trophy before you've completed a task worthy of one. Good luck, you'll most likely switch career paths anyway, or at least a lot of your peers will.

Lol u want to pregame the mcat? This is by far the funniest post I've ever read. what are you going to review? You don't even know what a mitochondria is yet.
If you're going to say something like this at least use an example that isn't taught in 9th grade biology

Reactions: 2 users
This thread is funny but to the OP's credit, I did not even know what the MCAT was when I was in high school.
So you're already ahead of most students your age. Keep up the good work!!

Dude you were born in, what, 1998? You aren't old enough to start studying for the MCAT.
I did not expect any SDN members to get offended by this. I was born in 1998, you're right but it was just a hypothetical question. I appreciate the feedback. At the holidays when I get to see my brother, my cousins, and other people who are pre med or in med school, the biggest thing they tell me is to start young. I'm just wondering if there's anything outside of my physics/bio/chem classes that I can do for a future in medicine. I did not expect to see comments slandering my age from the SDN community. A little disheartening.

I did not expect any SDN members to get offended by this. I was born in 1998, you're right but it was just a hypothetical question. I appreciate the feedback. At the holidays when I get to see my brother, my cousins, and other people who are pre med or in med school, the biggest thing they tell me is to start young. I'm just wondering if there's anything outside of my physics/bio/chem classes that I can do for a future in medicine. I did not expect to see comments slandering my age from the SDN community. A little disheartening.

Not offended- just the usual internet bluntness.
Your family is right about starting early- but this might be too early. For two reasons:
1. Many people who were 110% sure they wanted to be X change their minds in college. (In my case, I was certain I wanted to work in finance when I was in high school despite the fact that my parents are doctors. Obviously changed my mind- but much later.)
2. You'll miss out on things like high school friends, sports, activities, your first gf (maybe), prom, etc. at the expense of doing all this in addition to your school work/SAT/college apps. And it's not such a great tradeoff because you'll have forgotten 99% of it anyway in a year of two. (Very true in biology and chemistry) The upside is you will remember the basic ideas of it which will make it a little easier when you have to re-learn it in your pre-med college classes.

That said, I still think it's good to do well in science classes and take the APs. Ditto with your math classes. (You don't want to be some of the pre-meds on here that struggle to get a B- in Calculus I freshman year.) And like it said- it doesn't hurt to get a genetics book or an intro biochem book over the summer after the APs if you are *really* interested. (Though tbh you are unlikely to actually read it without the motivation of a grade unless you have a true interest).

Like every said....

Study well in HS and build a foundation.

Study well in college and learn the material. Learn to put concepts together. This is critical.

Study 3-ish months for the MCAT.

Do not fear the cat, consider it an opportunity to kick ass.