Too late for HPSP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OtisDay

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am in my second year of medical school. I had entertained the idea of applying for the HPSP prior to starting school, but wasn't sure if it was for me and decided not to commit. However, I continue to find myself wondering if it would have been a good choice for me. I want to find a career that is really rewarding for me, while working as a physician will certainly be rewarding, I can't help but feel as though and feel as though the parts of medicine that aren't spent helping people (dealing with insurance, malpractice, reforms, etc.) will wear on me and make civilian practice not enough. Serving in the military as a doctor might be what I need to be satisfied. I don't quite know. My concerns have nothing to do with money (as far as medical students go, I should end up with less that then average amount of debt and I am too late for HPSP anyways), and I have done a lot of research and know all the pros and cons people mention about military medicine. My question is this: since I believe I am no longer eligible for HPSP (as a current second year) what are my options to look into for joining the military as a medical doctor at this stage in my schooling? Are there debt repayment plans in place? What would the "payback period" of service be like? Please point me in the right direction. Thank you kindly.

Members don't see this ad.

I can't help but feel as though and feel as though the parts of medicine that aren't spent helping people (dealing with insurance, malpractice, reforms, etc.) will wear on me and make civilian practice not enough.

I know you think your question is unique and was never asked by anyone else before.... but it isn't. Look at the stickies, specifically under FAP (financial assistance program).

As for the quoted gem - sure, you will replace all those annoyances with cultural sensitivity training, do not rape (much) training, cold weather training, hand holding seminars (teamstepps), patient ID band interpretation training, Mandatory nursing-run "grand rounds" training, picking grass out of concrete cracks for general's retirement traini...I mean team building activity.

Last edited:
There are other programs that provide financial assistance during residency or medical school. FAP, and I can't remember the rest. Call a medical recruiter near you.

Also, you're not out of the woods in dealing with insurance either. I fight with United Healthcare ALL THE TIME to get things covered for our servicemembers.