Too late for OMFS or GPR then OMFS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Spirochete

OMFS lover
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
OK so i have a got a dilemma going on.....PLEASE HELP ME
I am currently a senior dental student at Univ Louisville, graduation day is next may. I am now interested in OMFS, however, i kind of missed the boat on extersnhips this summer since i did not do any. I did a general practice externship, did about 1000 extractions, and liked it alot. I know OMFS is not only extractions, however i have just now decided to want to do it.
Class Rank: 8/80
GPA: 3.80
Part I: 96
MY QUESTION IS: since i am not gona be able to do any exterships, would i still be able to get in if i applied? or should i plan on doing a GPR next year after graduation which would be the mother of all mothers of externships, then apply to OMFS? I feel like with my scores a GPR is a waste of a year.
What do you think?
Do you think my scores are ok to get in?
Please help me!

Members don't see this ad.

Do an intern year at one of the busier programs: LSU, Emory, etc. This will show you have hair on your balls. If your balls are in fact bald, it will make them sprout fuzzies. While an intern, go to tittie bars with your co-residents and attendings as much as possible and dedicate your resident salary to the sole purpose of buying lapdances and other items "off-the-menu". I mean come on, who wouldn't accept you after that?!

Hi,
You still have time to apply to all programs. You will at least get the experience of OMS interviews, and may get in with your grades.

You can apply for an OMS internship, which will help you apply for the following year. (we have one at our hospital)

You can also apply for a GPR. These will expose you to OMS (each one varies) and also improve your CV for the following year. We have a GPR that last year Korie Dunhoft (UofL 05 ) finished.

Say hi to Dean Woody for me

Members don't see this ad :)
if i did a GPR, would i be able to get in without doing any externships? would the GPR replace any externships i'd do?

Spirochete said:
if i did a GPR, would i be able to get in without doing any externships? would the GPR replace any externships i'd do?

Places REALLY place a lot of value on the externships, so definitely try and do one. It is probably too late to do one this year. An internship year would be better for the application, but might actually goon you a little bit, particularly if you suck or don't get along with the place you are doing the intern. A GPR at a surgery heavy place may be better for your career, as it will help you with mutidisciplinary pros type cases, ie implants.

You should apply this year anyway, get moving and get it done.

We offer OS externships but HANDS-OFF just watch assist due to state law.
Two U of L students did our OMS program... Thad Schulten recently who is practicing in Louisville... and years ago Eric Dierks who is teaching at Oregon.

As I mentioned before, Korie Dunhoft finished the GPR last year. When I mentioned I emailed a UofL student she asked who. She would be glad to share what a GPR is.

A GPR with heavy OS load is good.

If you like call us and we can see if an externship can be worked out

your numbers are fine. i wouldn't worry about that.

w/o externship would simply require explaining during the interview.

you should consider a 1yr internship on OMS rather than GPR if you think OMS is your gig. good 1yr programs include but are not limited to U Marlyand, Mass General Hospital, and Houston.

Spirochete said:
OK so i have a got a dilemma going on.....PLEASE HELP ME
I am currently a senior dental student at Univ Louisville, graduation day is next may. I am now interested in OMFS, however, i kind of missed the boat on extersnhips this summer since i did not do any. I did a general practice externship, did about 1000 extractions, and liked it alot. I know OMFS is not only extractions, however i have just now decided to want to do it.
Class Rank: 8/80
GPA: 3.80
Part I: 96
MY QUESTION IS: since i am not gona be able to do any exterships, would i still be able to get in if i applied? or should i plan on doing a GPR next year after graduation which would be the mother of all mothers of externships, then apply to OMFS? I feel like with my scores a GPR is a waste of a year.
What do you think?
Do you think my scores are ok to get in?
Please help me!

Hi there! I am actually in the same boat now as you were when you posted this...lol. Would it be possible to find out what you decided to do? :) Thanks so much!

How do you have a score for part one? Are you an international student?

I'm in an omf program and I'm curious; what was a day in the life like? It seems we are required to do a lot of paperwork and readings and essays and presentations. Is this normal? Yes I pull quite a lot of teeth and wire jaws shut but I just want to know what the general experience is.