Too late to apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jiller1994

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good Afternoon,

Is it too late to think about applying to Med school for a start in Fall 2016 if I am planning to do Mcat likely in September? Feel like a doofus for not doing this sooner. Also for a quick reality check, chances of entering on a 3.7-3.8 gpa, 3 published medical papers as coauthor, work as Emt and in medical billing since college started, volunteer experience (building it ATM), and starting research in virology lab.

Middle of 3rd year at ucla microbio major

Members don't see this ad.

Too late. Apply next cycle if you're not taking it till September.

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah, if you're taking the MCAT in September of 2015, you should submit your AMCAS in June of 2016.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I disagree with the above. I took the MCAT on September 6th. Got my score back October 6th. Sent my Primary October 31st. Received secondaries in mid-November. Submitted secondaries by the end of November. Got interviews in January. Accepted in February.

Granted I applied to 15 schools, received 14 secondaries, received 2 interviews, received 1 acceptance.

The advise I can give you if you want the most out of your application cycle is to have your primary application ready by the time you receive your MCAT score. Have seperate lists of schools you would be applying to depending on what MCAT score you get. Have your secondaries done (you can find them on SDN) shortly after your primary app is submitted for the schools. you are interested in so you can send them in as soon as you are offered them. By doing all that, you will be able to send in your primary app in October (when you get your MCAT score) and hopefully your Secondary apps by the end of October or early November (as soon as they are offered). All it takes is 1 acceptance.

I disagree with the above. I took the MCAT on September 6th. Got my score back October 6th. Sent my Primary October 31st. Received secondaries in mid-November. Submitted secondaries by the end of November. Got interviews in January. Accepted in February.

Granted I applied to 15 schools, received 14 secondaries, received 2 interviews, received 1 acceptance.

Everybody is different; and with a case of n=1, and only 2 interviews, and without knowing your application AND where you applied, while also not knowing the OPs circumstances, that is no position to disagree. The above posters are correct; that late would be a disadvantage. There aren't less people applying every year, with lower stats. Plus, what if OP completely screws the pooch on their MCAT?

If this were your brother or sister, would you honestly advise them to do this and simply give it nice whirl and see what happens? I bet you'd rather have them wait and keep all of the odds in their favor, as best they can.

I'm in the same boat as you except I'm taking it late August. I want to give it my best shot at the MCAT so don't want to rush and take it earlier. Think I am going to take a gap year.

Why are you waiting until september to take it? You could start studying now and take it in May and then you wouldn't be late at all.

agree with most people above. take a gap year, get more volunteering experience, continue to get more clinical experience and take the MCAT whenever you're ready and apply early for the 2017 class

Everybody is different; and with a case of n=1, and only 2 interviews, and without knowing your application AND where you applied, while also not knowing the OPs circumstances, that is no position to disagree. The above posters are correct; that late would be a disadvantage. There aren't less people applying every year, with lower stats. Plus, what if OP completely screws the pooch on their MCAT?

If this were your brother or sister, would you honestly advise them to do this and simply give it nice whirl and see what happens? I bet you'd rather have them wait and keep all of the odds in their favor, as best they can.

I'm not saying that everyone should do it. I'm saying that it is possible and should be considered depending on stats/CV. In my suggestion, the applicant would simply ready their AMCAS app and submit it when they find out their score.

I agree that the chances are lower if you are a late applicant. However, it is not a complete waste of time and money because there is still a decent chance. If you dont mind spending the extra money on the apps and putting the time into filling them out, then i would say do it.

I'm not saying that everyone should do it. I'm saying that it is possible and should be considered depending on stats/CV. In my suggestion, the applicant would simply ready their AMCAS app and submit it when they find out their score.

I agree that the chances are lower if you are a late applicant. However, it is not a complete waste of time and money because there is still a decent chance. If you dont mind spending the extra money on the apps and putting the time into filling them out, then i would say do it.

I realize I'm quibbling, but it would only be "extra" money if he has to reapply next year--which I think we can all agree is a bad thing. As a late (but lucky) applicant myself, I must agree with the majority of respondents to wait and strategically utilize a gap year.

Just because something CAN be done does not mean it SHOULD be done.