Too late to email potential grad mentor?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psychra22

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
How would a potential mentor view an email from a phd applicant 3 weeks before the deadline (no previous contact)? I know the recommendation is usually to email them in september/october so I don't want to be viewed as a slacker for just inquiring about their research now, or make it seem like they are afterthought before applications get submitted ... would it better to not email at all since the deadline is so close?

Members don't see this ad.

I was in a similar situation this year. I ended up just biting the bullet and emailing the people I was interested in working with and explained that I understand this is a late start but I was excited to get the application process started and was going to be submitting everything necessary that week. None of the professors who I emailed even seemed phased by the short notice. One actually asked for my GRE scores via email because they can take so long to get to the institution. Make sure to send your CV along with the email. It seemed to help a lot.

Thanks, psychoptimist. Any other thoughts on here? Anyone think its truly a bad idea? I'm leaning towards "biting the bullet."

Members don't see this ad :)
Why not, if you are truly interested in working with them?

Nothing lost if nothing is ventured.