Too late to shadow?! Did I screw up?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

walala

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I called one of the doctors my relative worked with who told her I could shadow him and to just give his office a call, but she contacted him in early feburary, quite a while ago. I called today and the person who answered said the office manager wasnt there so she transferrred me to her voicemail where I left a message about shadowing. Do you think she will actually call me back? How long should I wait before I should call again?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I called :( they're booked for the month, but I was told to call back in april! So i'll do that! I edited my question to ask another one :D if I could get your opinion on that too please :]

So I called one of the doctors my relative worked with who told her I could shadow him and to just give his office a call, but she contacted him in early feburary, quite a while ago. I called today and the person who answered said the office manager wasnt there so she transferrred me to her voicemail where I left a message about shadowing. Do you think she will actually call me back? How long should I wait before I should call again?

I'd call and email every week.
If i don't hear back after 2 weeks. I'd walk in and leave a hand written love note with my contact info.

I'd call and email every week.
If i don't hear back after 2 weeks. I'd walk in and leave a hand written love note with my contact info.

I can't tell if your serious about that in person note.... (obviously not about the love note part), but do people really ever leave them notes in person?

If it isn't inconvenient, I personally don't think there is any harm in leaving a note. They are more likely to be receptive to it (vs. a voicemail) especially if you leave it on their desk. Ofcourse, don't harrass them with a bunch of phonecalls/voicemails and then leave a note--pick one or the other. But be persistent. If they don't respond within a few days, go in with the note. Don't wait three weeks.

If it isn't inconvenient, I personally don't think there is any harm in leaving a note. They are more likely to be receptive to it (vs. a voicemail) especially if you leave it on their desk. Ofcourse, don't harrass them with a bunch of phonecalls/voicemails and then leave a note--pick one or the other. But be persistent. If they don't respond within a few days, go in with the note. Don't wait three weeks.

Thanks! I think my game plan will be to wait 2 days, 3 days tops, then call again. If I can't speak directly with office manager..I might consider an in person trip.

ANOTHER QEUSTION! (just chaulk (sp)full of questions today!: Is it worth it to travel 1 and a half to 2 hours to shadow someone for only a few hours? Currently Im shadowing someone but their office is just over an hour away. I found a OB/GYN that would let me shaodw them but they work almost 2 hours from where I live. I live in a big city, but no one is very receptive to letting me shadow them :/or at least I'm not having much luck! So should I just suck it upa and drive the 4 hours to and from?

Thanks! I think my game plan will be to wait 2 days, 3 days tops, then call again. If I can't speak directly with office manager..I might consider an in person trip.

ANOTHER QEUSTION! (just chaulk (sp)full of questions today!: Is it worth it to travel 1 and a half to 2 hours to shadow someone for only a few hours? Currently Im shadowing someone but their office is just over an hour away. I found a OB/GYN that would let me shaodw them but they work almost 2 hours from where I live. I live in a big city, but no one is very receptive to letting me shadow them :/or at least I'm not having much luck! So should I just suck it upa and drive the 4 hours to and from?

How much is the shadowing really worth to you? Only you can answer that question on a personal level, but a 4 hour trip for an equivalent amount of shadowing seems a little ridiculous. I'd spend my time trying to find someone closer.

I can't tell if your serious about that in person note.... (obviously not about the love note part), but do people really ever leave them notes in person?
I am serious. I left my shadow-doctor a hand-written note to say I came by and had sent him an email in the past week (I actually sent "emails") and will really like to hear from him. He replied my email that evening and gave me a time to come by to speak to him - which I did and I shadowed him that summer. Enjoyed the experience too.

Walking in is tricky - you have to be very personable, attempt-small-talk and be really friendly (smiley) to the staff you see there.
Also -- i know walking works for me:
no shadowing doctor (male or female) will turn down an opportunity to be shadowed by a hottie like moi ;)

--don't hate, haters! :D

How much is the shadowing really worth to you? Only you can answer that question on a personal level, but a 4 hour trip for an equivalent amount of shadowing seems a little ridiculous. I'd spend my time trying to find someone closer.

I've tried finding people in my area, there are so many but they work in large hospitals where you have to pull through lot of hoops and paper work to allowed to shadow and most doctors don't want to go through the hassle. I live in a big city. The clinics that are a few hours ago are much more rural and private and thus they let you shadow so much easier. I called the two hour away one and even then they just took my number and said well call you back. :/ I hope they call back....