Too late to take the MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Barbasol Warrior

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I didn't choose pre-med until recently so I am looking into the process now. I have taken all the prereqs except biochem which I take at the end of the summer. Given that the mcat is (apparently) so biochem heavy I thought I would wait until the class is over to take the mcat which would mean that I would have to take an early September mcat...would most medical schools accept an mcat this late? I am not sure if after grading time it would be possible to get the score in on time? Also I am aware that a late application hurts acceptance chances very significantly. However I would like to apply this cycle so is this the best possible option? Thanks everyone for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

You can't take a september mcat for this upcoming cycle. Latest I would aim for is late april/may. You might not need a biochem course if you think you can learn it yourself and that's all you're missing. Take a prep book and skim through it to see if you think you can study for the exam and take it in 3 months.

I didn't choose pre-med until recently so I am looking into the process now. I have taken all the prereqs except biochem which I take at the end of the summer. Given that the mcat is (apparently) so biochem heavy I thought I would wait until the class is over to take the mcat which would mean that I would have to take an early September mcat...would most medical schools accept an mcat this late? I am not sure if after grading time it would be possible to get the score in on time? Also I am aware that a late application hurts acceptance chances very significantly. However I would like to apply this cycle so is this the best possible option? Thanks everyone for your help!

Take biochem, then take as much time as you need and apply for the next cycle. Nothing wrong with a gap year. Goal is to have the most competitive application

Can you take the MCAT in September and still be able to apply? Yes you can. Is it a good idea? No it is not.
The AAMC testing Calender for the MCAT shows three dates in September (1st, 9th, and 10th). Assuming you already submitted everything, you will get your score back in October (and that's when your application will be viewed). Although the deadline for medical schools vary, most are in October and November. Therefore, you would have to check them individually to see if you can make it.
Keep in mind, your chances of getting in are much lower at this point, and you have to take into account the possibility of scoring poorly on your MCAT (You don't want to apply with a low score, that will just sabotage your application).
My opinion is to hold off until next year. You are only one cycle behind, not a decade.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Can you take the MCAT in September and still be able to apply? Yes you can. Is it a good idea? No it is not.
The AAMC testing Calender for the MCAT shows three dates in September (1st, 9th, and 10th). Assuming you already submitted everything, you will get your score back in October (and that's when your application will be viewed). Although the deadline for medical schools vary, most are in October and November. Therefore, you would have to check them individually to see if you can make it.
Keep in mind, your chances of getting in are much lower at this point, and you have to take into account the possibility of scoring poorly on your MCAT (You don't want to apply with a low score, that will just sabotage your application).
My opinion is to hold off until next year. You are only one cycle behind, not a decade.

Couldn't agree more. I will also add that if your app and all other aspects of the application file are already submitted, AND processed by AMCAS, then your score will add to your app electronically in Oct (approximately 30 days after your Sep. test date), BUT it is very UNLIKELY you'd be reviewed in October. That's only when you'd be ready for review. There will be a stack of other applicants ahead of you and the ADCOM will review all of those first. I've seen people submit in late July and not get actual "eyes" on the app by the committee until Nov. All very good reasons NOT TO RUSH. The MCAT is to be taken seriously. Don't ASSUME anything. Practice until you have reliable performance indicators suggesting you are safely well above the minimum score you'll be happy with and THEN take the exam. When that is done you can apply that same year. The safest bet is to start studying MCAT in the fall, take an early spring exam and then apply June 1st. Decades from now it will not matter one iota if you matriculated in 2017 or 2018, but "rushing in" too fast can start a death spiral of MCAT retakes, rejections, reapplications....:eek:

There are lots of advantages to a gap year. You have more time to study for the MCAT, since you started this premed path, you can get in more volunteering, shadowing, etc. You will have time to write a great Personal Statement and pre - write your secondaries. Then you can apply with a targeted list on day 1. Instead of putting yourself at a huge disadvantage and wasting money on a wasted season, take time to do it right.