Too little schools? Or too many?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ballyhoo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I finished my DATs just last week, and now I'm looking to submit my applications as soon as possible! My budget is limited, though, and I'm not sure how competitive my scores are ... would any of you be willing to help me a little with narrowing down or expanding my school list?

I'm currently attending undergrad at a school in Boston, and I would prefer to really stay in Boston or the east coast, because even though I'm a CA resident, I just really love it here. The atmosphere, the city, the transportation systems, and the fact that I've spent 3 years here already, I know that I want to stay here longer!

I'm also in a serious relationship with my boyfriend who will be going to Harvard Med School next year, and we're hoping that we're pretty close to each other!

I'm a CA resident, and here are my scores:

oGPA: 3.42
sGPA: 3.32

AA: 22
PAT: 21
Orgo: 21
Bio: 22
Chem: 19
QR: 24
RC: 22

I have no clue if these are even competitive for the list of schools I have, since there are so many amazing stats on here! But here's my list :) in no particular order!

- Harvard
- Tufts (don't have a rec letter from a gen dentist tho ... if I get it in July, is that too late?)
- Boston University
- Columbia
- New York University
- U Penn
- UCSF
- UCLA
- USC

I don't know if 9 is too little or too much, and I'm really feeling like I need some other schools but I'm not sure which!

Please help!

Thank you!!

Members don't see this ad.

Also... is it okay if I have one really bad grade for a science class my sophomore fall? All of my other grades are alright, but that one grade just completely brought my GPA down.

Hi everyone!

I finished my DATs just last week, and now I'm looking to submit my applications as soon as possible! My budget is limited, though, and I'm not sure how competitive my scores are ... would any of you be willing to help me a little with narrowing down or expanding my school list?

I'm currently attending undergrad at a school in Boston, and I would prefer to really stay in Boston or the east coast, because even though I'm a CA resident, I just really love it here. The atmosphere, the city, the transportation systems, and the fact that I've spent 3 years here already, I know that I want to stay here longer!

I'm also in a serious relationship with my boyfriend who will be going to Harvard Med School next year, and we're hoping that we're pretty close to each other!

I have no clue if these are even competitive for the list of schools I have, since there are so many amazing stats on here! But here's my list :) in no particular order!

- Harvard
- Tufts (don't have a rec letter from a gen dentist tho ... if I get it in July, is that too late?)
- Boston University
- Columbia
- New York University
- U Penn
- UCSF
- UCLA
- USC

I don't know if 9 is too little or too much, and I'm really feeling like I need some other schools but I'm not sure which!

Please help!

Thank you!!

I would add a few schools with some schools like Midwestern AZ or IL, LECOM, and/or Roseman to be safe.

Here are the average admission statistics for last application cycle:

View attachment 20310

That should give you some idea about what is needed to be competitive for each. Best of luck.:thumbup:

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Harvard I would say no. Gpa is just not high enough. I agree with omnipotent on adding the safety schools. I think if you want to stay in Boston those are pretty competitive for tufts and BU. also find the state schools that are out of state friendly and award instate after a year. For instance at vcu I was offered in state for all four years despite me being OOS (may be because my father went there for dent, but he got the same deal and I know others who have too)

Hm....I might just give Harvard a shot - I go to undergrad there and I know a friend (also an undergrad) who got in with a 3.4 GPA! Ack.

What are some good "safety" schools?

Thanks!!!

For someone who goes to Harvard, you should know the different usages of "little" and "few" (a "little" dog, a "FEW" schools), that this isn't a coherent sentence ("The atmosphere, the city, the transportation systems, and the fact that I've spent 3 years here already, I know that I want to stay here longer!"), and that it's the "DAT" not the "DATs" (It's the Dental Admission Test -- the test, the DAT).

I never post on SDN, but I made an account just to say this. Sorry, but I felt it needed to be said. Just goes to show how arbitrary college admissions is.

Someone seems awfully bitter ;) jussayin'

For someone who goes to Harvard, you should know the different usages of "little" and "few" (a "little" dog, a "FEW" schools), that this isn't a coherent sentence ("The atmosphere, the city, the transportation systems, and the fact that I've spent 3 years here already, I know that I want to stay here longer!"), and that it's the "DAT" not the "DATs" (It's the Dental Admission Test -- the test, the DAT).

I never post on SDN, but I made an account just to say this. Sorry, but I felt it needed to be said. Just goes to show how arbitrary college admissions is.

Oh why would you make an account just to say that? :confused:

Anyways, sure, I'm not here to argue about grammar or whether college admissions are arbitrary or not. I'm just a pre-dental student like any of you, and I don't think that undergraduate schools matter too much, if at all. (I started a thread about this before, because I wasn't entirely sure.)

But any productive comments would be appreciated :)

You are an @$$hole! I hope you never respond to another post.

This is a forum. It really doesn't matter if someone writes an incomplete sentence or uses the wrong adjective. And if they do who cares? As long as they can communicate enough for other users to understand them. Argue over grammar and spelling in some English forum somewhere else on the internet.

OP I would agree with others in the thread (not the rude person that made an account to flame you :laugh:) but Harvard seems a bit out of your league because of your GPA, it's not horrible, just not outstanding. Your DAT score is good and I think you have a solid chance at receiving interview invites to a fair amount of schools, but why not diversify the list a bit more if you can afford it?

Aim for 12-15 schools and apply to places that fit you as an individual. The ADEA dental school guide may be very helpful to you! Best of luck :luck:

Edit: didn't notice the bf dilemma hopefully you get to remain on the east-coast to avoid the whole long distance thing that can be a pain, however, I feel you will both be extremely busy while attending these rigorous programs.

http://www.adea.org/dental_educatio...s/Pages/ADEAOfficialGuidetoDentalSchools.aspx

Lol interesting twist in the topic. People from top schools obviously have to be perfect/grammar nazis ;)

How about adding Case?

Really? :rolleyes:

Harvard's GPA range for 2011 entering class is:
sGPA 3.30-4.26
oGPA 3.45-4.17

Classic e-bulli comment :laugh: