Too many C's?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dre4m3r

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Guys,

I have graduated from the university with BS in biochemistry. BUT, I have 5 Cs through out my college. I received C in micro and gen bio 2 at CC 4 years ago, Ochem 1,2 (retook got both A) and C+ in cell biology 3 years ago at university. For the last 4 semesters, I took biochem 1 (B),2 (A), Pchem 1 (A), immunology(A), evolution(A), anatomy physio 1 (B),2 (A), evolution (A), ochem 1 (A-), 2 (B+) labs, Biochem lab (A), Pchem 1 lab (A), analytical chem (B+) and retook ochems (both A).
My GPA for those semesters were 3.44, 3.69, 3.71, 3.71
cGPA: 3.3-3.4
BCP gpa which I havent calculate it but expected to be at 3.1 or 3.2.
DAT: 18 retaking it this summer.
Shadow 100; volunteer 1000+, Enrichment a lot lol, and working as nail tech at nail salon.
should i be worrying about having too many Cs in core science classes would affect me negatively?

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't be concerned. Doing well on the DAT retake will definitely help. Your BCP is a little low, but the fact that you've retaken some of those classes and gotten A's, along with your other high science grades the last 2 years at a university, should sufficiently show your improvement.

I think you redeemed yourself enough by getting better grades in more difficult classes. Now what you need to do is get 20+ on the DAT, not that 18 is bad, but 20+ will help you out a lot.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your cumulative GPA is a bit low, but I don't think it will be a big central point of your application. For reference, I had two C's in college and a total GPA of 3.75ish

My DAT was a bit higher, at 21, and I think that helped.For what it is worth, my GPA only came up once during one of my four interviews, and my C's were never talked about. My DAT score was never mentioned.

Thanks for the advices guys.
I am very confident of getting way higher score on the DAT this time around. I knew the material when I first took it just that the anxiety dominated my ability lol.
I hope they do not put so much weight on cc GPA because I graduated with 3.51 from a university.
Any suggestions for GAP years or just do well on DAT and enjoy the time off?

I actually have a mission trip planned for vietnam to help out poverty families, nothing unethical here lol.