too many derm rotations in a row?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tinyfurniture

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm planning to do an away rotation (clinical derm) in May and August, and my home rotation in September. Would it be better to do a non-derm elective in August instead, and apply for my 2nd away in October? Does having derm back to back in August and September look excessive?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
how did you do 21 in a row? just curious since I might have to consider doing many short rotations.

I'm planning to do an away rotation (clinical derm) in May and August, and my home rotation in September. Would it be better to do a non-derm elective in August instead, and apply for my 2nd away in October? Does having derm back to back in August and September look excessive?

Research shows that if you do back to back rotations in august and september, you will fail to match. Interestingly, if you do back to back rotations in September and then august, you are assured a spot in the match. This requires time warping and has been successfully employed on numerous occasions (unpublished results using unsanctioned technology).

Another technique which has been employed successfully on at least one occasion is the Wyclef Jean approach. This simply involves you claiming that you'll be gone til november, and unable to complete rotations until after that time. Conveniently, this is usually too late to do a rotation, but since you've employed this powerful technique (only available to a select few), you're essentially assured a spot, based mostly on bravado. This allows avoidance of an actual derm rotation (ick!) while still matching. Once you've matched you can avoid doing any derm at all, but this is somewhat difficult. I will provide details in another post. The first step is matching.

That was a joke

I would recommend against short rotations, month long rotations are usually more fruitful, both for the department and the rotator.

Oops, totally missed that haha! I was caught off guard with such a steep number.

Research shows that if you do back to back rotations in august and september, you will fail to match. Interestingly, if you do back to back rotations in September and then august, you are assured a spot in the match. This requires time warping and has been successfully employed on numerous occasions (unpublished results using unsanctioned technology).

Another technique which has been employed successfully on at least one occasion is the Wyclef Jean approach. This simply involves you claiming that you'll be gone til november, and unable to complete rotations until after that time. Conveniently, this is usually too late to do a rotation, but since you've employed this powerful technique (only available to a select few), you're essentially assured a spot, based mostly on bravado. This allows avoidance of an actual derm rotation (ick!) while still matching. Once you've matched you can avoid doing any derm at all, but this is somewhat difficult. I will provide details in another post. The first step is matching.

I'm a DO student. Would I be competitive for the Wyclef Jean approach?

I think that doing three aways are excessive. I matched without doing one, and did use a method similar to the aforementioned Wyclef Jean technique.

Agree with N-surge on this one. Can't do too many. It depends on your strategy and reasons. If you have great scores and a lot of research, you may not need to do as many aways. Always better to do your derm aways earlier rather than later.

I did three and it was totally fine. Not one interviewer batted an eye...

Last edited:

Wow, i think that was really many. What do you think?