Too many updates?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

areserine

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I sent an update to one of my top choice schools (pre-interview) a few weeks ago about a publication (my first.) In the past week, I have received word of two presentations, one is a talk given by a collaborator in which I am third author on the project, and one is my own poster presentation coming up in about a month. This school is known for rejecting applicants quickly, so waiting a month or so until after my presentation is not really an option. They do not have any particular policy for updates, other than that they should be short and fit within the text of an email.

Is sending a second update pre-interview a bad idea? Would it make me look desperate or annoying?

Members don't see this ad.

I honestly don't think updating again right now regarding your upcoming presentation is going to make a difference. Just wait until after you've given the presentation.

Yes, it will make you look desperate and annoying. How long have you been complete for? Many schools take at least several weeks to review your application. You could be sending updates and "playing your cards" before they've even looked at your app.

Cool your jets. There will be plenty of time to update schools about stuff. You don't need to alert them of every little change in your application.

Members don't see this ad :)
A couple presentations won't save you if you were already on the chopping block. Don't send the update, it looks desperate and it would hurt more than help.

Not to hijack this post, but if I received an interview at a school that LOVES updates and I have a ton more shadowing and clinical experience along with a summer grade, should I update before the interview or wait? I was light on shadowing up to this point, but I added another 28
A couple presentations won't save you if you were already on the chopping block. Don't send the update, it looks desperate and it would hurt more than help.

clinic and OR hours.

A little background: This school EMPHASIZES shadowing, but I was relatively light at the time I applied. Therefore, I think these extra hours could be crucial.