too old? too late?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

getmoving

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
Brand new to this forum, hoping others may offer their feedback to my situation.
I'm 53 years old and considering a return to medical school. Sounds crazy, but am exploring this scenario. Brief history. I started medical school in 1986 and voluntarily withdrew after first year. I was too immature, not sure it was what I wanted, and with my arts/social science background, I was one of the weaker students in the class. I had a tough time keeping up with the science majors who were better prepared.
Fast forward 25 years. I earned a master's degree several years ago in health education and currently teach fitness and health promotion at a community college and also work as a personal trainer. I enjoy the teaching and ironically it is the teaching that has made me think of a possible return to medical school. Last semester I taught exercise physiology and I loved the material - all science/anatomy based. This was a marked change from my attitude towards science/anatomy 25 years ago. This got me thinking about medical school.
Again, I have no idea if this is just a pipe dream, but thought to put my situation out there for people's feedback. I welcome any questions or comments, and in advance I thank anyone who takes the time to reply. Wishing y'all best of luck in your pursuits!

Members don't see this ad.

It's certainly possible, if you really want it; but just to put things in perspective here's your best case scenario:

All your prerequisites are still fine and you do well on your MCAT. You apply this cycle and matriculate when you're 54. You finish medical school by 58 and have a three year residency (longer depending on specialty). That puts you at 61 with some debt (unless you've saved up enough to pay for school up front). Your retirement would then be up to you, whether it be 4 years or 24 years.

Your worse cases involve you having to retake prerequisites, having to reapply and so forth.

What medical school did you matriculate in, if you don't mind sharing?

Hi battousai,
thanks very much for taking the time to share your thoughts. I attended the New York State program at the Sackler School of Medicine at Tel Aviv University. I don't think my pre-requisite courses would still be valid today as they were taken in the 1980's. If that's the case it would be very highly improbable I would go through with the application process. At my age to do all my pre-reqs over again and the MCAT's and then apply to med school would be very impracticable. Thanks again for your feedback. Wishing you the very best in your pursuits.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a similar story (minus matriculating when younger). I am 42, and have taught high school science for the past 19 years.

I didn't have any school tell me my prerequisite classes were too old, and they were all from the early 90's. I did have a pre-med advisor tell me that I should take a few science classes to prove that I was not "brain damaged." I looked her straight in the eye and said "I have been teaching high school students for 17 years. I AM brain damaged." Ha ha.

Granted, I only applied to mid tier MD and DO programs. There may be some problems with your "older" credits if you try to get into top tier programs, but I doubt it. It sounds like there are only one or two schools where prerequisite classes "expire."

The hurdle that you are going to need to overcome is your prior matriculation from med school. I have no clue how that will affect you.

Also, state schools tend to look at students as an investment. How long will they practice and serve the community that helped subsidize the education. At my age, I calculate I have about 20 years to serve before partial retirement. You may get 10. That may deter schools from accepting you. But if you have rock solid stats, and you do well when you retake the MCAT, then you could possibly get into medical school.

I wish you the best of luck. If you want more advice, just send me a PM.

dsoz

Reactions: 1 users
We had a person older than you in my class. Certainly osteopathic schools may be more open accepting you at an older age. Just be aware that it is a long process and you will have to work well into your 70's to really make it meaningful, if you are up for that than I say go for it.

Survivor DO

Reactions: 1 user
Hi everyone,
Brand new to this forum, hoping others may offer their feedback to my situation.
I'm 53 years old and considering a return to medical school. Sounds crazy, but am exploring this scenario. Brief history. I started medical school in 1986 and voluntarily withdrew after first year. I was too immature, not sure it was what I wanted, and with my arts/social science background, I was one of the weaker students in the class. I had a tough time keeping up with the science majors who were better prepared.
Fast forward 25 years. I earned a master's degree several years ago in health education and currently teach fitness and health promotion at a community college and also work as a personal trainer. I enjoy the teaching and ironically it is the teaching that has made me think of a possible return to medical school. Last semester I taught exercise physiology and I loved the material - all science/anatomy based. This was a marked change from my attitude towards science/anatomy 25 years ago. This got me thinking about medical school.
Again, I have no idea if this is just a pipe dream, but thought to put my situation out there for people's feedback. I welcome any questions or comments, and in advance I thank anyone who takes the time to reply. Wishing y'all best of luck in your pursuits!

I have a similar story to yours - re-entry into medical school 11 years later. Go for it! If you want to chat more - pm me :) The only thing holding you back is yourself. Yes being an older non-trad is a bit more difficult to get back in, but your life has been enriching and will only benefit your perspective on medicine. I think the biggest hurdle is going to be the MCAT. You have to score solid on that to prove you're ready for this. :thumbup:

Remember that the purpose of medicine is not to improve or enrich your life but rather to use you as a vehicle for the alleviation of the suffering of others.

If your potential value to society as a physician dramatically outweighs what it costs society to train you, then the equation goes in your favor. The relatively shorter amount of time that you can offer in practice would have to be counterbalanced by a remarkable quality that you possess.

The previous matriculation is usually a dealbreaker but your case is quite singular so I can't predict how it would factor in.

Age should never be a factor to not do something. I think you have a great chance to get back into med school; specifically DO schools will be more likely to accept you.

Our all-time oldest matriculant was 53, and considering it will take you 1-2 years to get your application in order, plus considering the fact that you already had your shot and wasted, makes me say that you had your chance, and now it's time to move on.

Hi everyone,

It's not going to happen. Don't waste your time. You already had an opportunity to go to medical school and blew it. Most schools will not take med school drop-outs. Sure, time has passed, but it has been too much time. You'd be 55 entering, which would make most schools seriously doubt you.

It's not going to happen. Don't waste your time. You already had an opportunity to go to medical school and blew it. Most schools will not take med school drop-outs. Sure, time has passed, but it has been too much time. You'd be 55 entering, which would make most schools seriously doubt you.

Unfortunately, I have to agree with Triage. At 41, I'm the oldest student in my class and I think I'm really pushing the envelope. I worry that my age will be an issue when it comes to landing a great residency, and can't even imagine going through it in my late 50s.

I entered an allopathic school at the age of 51. I am now 53 and am entering my third year. If you are in good health and have the energy to carry you through the long road ahead, I say go for it. I have received nothing but support from my administration and my classmates along the way. Personally, I plan on working well beyond a traditional retirement age and would like to "retire" into a part-time schedule of volunteering at free clinics when the time comes. If you truly have a passion for medicine and feel that you would love practicing it, there is no reason to let a little thing like age hold you back. I wish you the best of luck.

OK, excuse me please if I am wrong. Wouldn't the issue have more to do with the fact that the OP had already been in a medical school program, then, say, with his age?????

As legally insane shows, it has to do with the individual. Some folks seem like they are done at 40. . .seriously. . .I don't know if it's hard living or what; while other folks are strong, energetic, sharp, and healthy well into their seventies and up. I know about a dozen 80 year olds right now that totally blow me away; that's how busy, healthy, and energetic they are. I mean this is more than just a few folks, so. . .

Members don't see this ad :)
OK, excuse me please if I am wrong. Wouldn't the issue have more to do with the fact that the OP had already been in a medical school program, then, say, with his age?????

+1 That voluntary withdrawal is going to be really hard to overcome. The age issue is just icing on the cake from an admissions standpoint. You will need spectacular numbers and a clear commitment from a volunteer/research/whatever medically related standpoint to get a foot in the door. Otherwise, it just looks like a stunt or midlife crisis.

Concur 100%

+1 That voluntary withdrawal is going to be really hard to overcome. The age issue is just icing on the cake from an admissions standpoint. You will need spectacular numbers and a clear commitment from a volunteer/research/whatever medically related standpoint to get a foot in the door. Otherwise, it just looks like a stunt or midlife crisis.

Concur 100%

I withdrew from school - for good reasons as well. and the dean was 100% supportive and 11 years later wrote me a strong letter of recommendation. I'm an older non trad myself. I had no problem getting acceptances.

Age is a factor but so what?! Advising not to try is counterproductive. Nobody can be sure he doesnt have a chance at getting in. He obviously has the academic potential or he wouldnt have been accepted before. Depending on what he did after leaving med school will be the greatest hurdle aside from rescoring high on the mcat.

If it's financially not going to kill him - go for it! At the very least you know you gave your all and whether you're accepted or not will be out of your hands. BUT - you tried rather than give up. If you dont try I think you will always wonder and have regrets.

so rock the mcat, get some diverse clinical experience (ER volunteering, physician shadowing, free health clinic volunteering, habitat for humanity etc etc) - become as diverse as possible. Be tenacious and obtain SOLID letters of recommendation. GL and Go for it! You only live once.

I withdrew from school - for good reasons as well. and the dean was 100% supportive and 11 years later wrote me a strong letter of recommendation. I'm an older non trad myself. I had no problem getting acceptances.

If you read the OP, I think you can assume that it wasn't for a "good reason" that the OP withdrew, and he won't be getting a strong LOR from the dean of that program. You are comparing apples and oranges.

53? That's serious!

It can be done, but you need the will of iron to get through every tiny step.

If he just wants to do internal medicine, he can cut out a few years from specialty training, meaning he can practice sooner. As long as he takes care of his mental and physical health and follows through (putting in time to study, volunteering, etc.), I don't see anything that can put a stop to this idea. At this age, he has less diversions and a good amount of life experience (translation - patience and follow through, something the average youngster lacks). Usually you also need less sleep at that age meaning you have more time to study. There is always a risk of a debilitating disease such as Alzheimer's and so on but life in itself is entirely a gamble. Better to live it fulfilled, win or lose, than the constant what-if's plaguing one's mind.

Last edited:
I went to med school at 39 yo (an american md program). There were about 15 students over the age of 30 in my class. Once I got used to the routine I got through med school without much difficulty (but I did study just about constantly). I did my residency at a large well respected regional hospital in internal medicine and there were a few other residents around my age.Residency also took some getting used to. I passed all 3 usmle steps the first time and my abim board certifaction and recertification exams the first time. I'll be 60 yo in a few weeks (about to get senior discount at movie theatres).

I'm out of med school 17 years and residency 14 years. So at 60 years old even I am a veteran doctor.

Going to medical school was the best thing I ever did in my life. It is my personal accomplishment that no one can take away. For the most part my patients have been nice people and I get great satisfaction in taking care of them.

Good luck to all of you. If this is what you want,let nothing stop you.

Reactions: 3 users
I think it's possible if you really want to pursue it. My school (a DO school) had a student in the mid-50s. However, I think it might be more practical and rewarding to look at less time consuming career paths in health care such as perhaps becoming a physician assistant.

Hi everyone,

Damn. You could have been practicing medicine for 20 years, had you not withdrawn from school. More annoyingly, tuition was a fraction of what it is nowadays. Plus, from what I read here, doctors were "printing" money during those years.

I went to med school at 39 yo (an american md program). There were about 15 students over the age of 30 in my class. Once I got used to the routine I got through med school without much difficulty (but I did study just about constantly). I did my residency at a large well respected regional hospital in internal medicine and there were a few other residents around my age.Residency also took some getting used to. I passed all 3 usmle steps the first time and my abim board certifaction and recertification exams the first time. I'll be 60 yo in a few weeks (about to get senior discount at movie theatres).

I'm out of med school 17 years and residency 14 years. So at 60 years old even I am a veteran doctor.

Going to medical school was the best thing I ever did in my life. It is my personal accomplishment that no one can take away. For the most part my patients have been nice people and I get great satisfaction in taking care of them.

I'm truly inspired by your story. I'm wondering, though, for how long more are you planning to practice?

Hi everyone,

If you are 53 and its still bothering you, then its not going to go away. Medicine is a calling, its a voice that the more you try to ignore, the more it taps at you. It's like in Doctor Who where a character called the Master hears a drumming his entire life. This is a similar scenario; you'll keep hearing the drumming until you finally follow the beat. Trying to find an alternative career or convince yourself otherwise is pointless. At this point you can either let the nagging bother you for the rest of your years or surrender the years required. On a plus note, people will automatically assume that you are a more experienced Physician once your out of Med school because of your age. Your life experience will also be an extreme asset. For people born to be Physicians, there is only one road; even if you never travel it, it will still remain as your only true path. Becoming a Physician is not a path that you choose, it is a path that chooses you. GL; go live your dream.

Unfortunately, I have to agree with Triage. At 41, I'm the oldest student in my class and I think I'm really pushing the envelope. I worry that my age will be an issue when it comes to landing a great residency, and can't even imagine going through it in my late 50s.

I have that worry too.

my original plan was to work as attending for 20 years- but now at 14 years, I suspect I'll be working a little longer. There are many practicing doctors in their 60s and even their 70s and 80s.

My entire "dream of becoming a doctor" just seems to have been going so fast. I feel like I've never done anything else. Once again, best thing I've ever done was becoming a doctor :).

Last edited:
:welcome:

It's amazing that I found this thread today because I am in the same boat as the OP. I mean, I seriously could have written this myself, only the dates and ages are different. I am in the process of moving and I found my white coat from my original white coat ceremony in the closet and had a small mental breakdown because I regret my decision to withdraw nearly every waking moment.

Here is what I can tell you from my experience: I emailed the Dean of Admissions at my original medical school and she said I would definitely be eligible for acceptance. She said it would be more difficult to get accepted a second time around, but not impossible. She basically said that I would have to kick some serious ass on the MCAT as well as prove that things would be different if I were given a second chance. I also contacted the Admissions Departments at a few other medical schools, and all of them basically said the same thing. Only one said flat out that I would not be eligible for admission.

I have to agree with the other posters who have said that if this is your true dream, then nothing is going to make it go away. Believe me, I have tried (and it sounds like you have, too). If you have any other questions, feel free to PM me!

Also, forgot to add in this - There is a thread over on the DO board from a student who was dismissed from his DO school, but reapplied to other DO schools -- he got multiple interviews and acceptances. He is currently a student and I believe he recently took the COMLEX. Sure it wasn't almost 30 years ago, but still proof that these things can happen. Here's the link: http://http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=665422

Last edited:
This thread is very inspiring!!

Hmmmm....1986...smoking areas in high school, California still have free "in-state" tuition for their residents and the wall was still up. Oh, did I mention we were still afraid of the USSR ~ Rocky IV ring a bell? :thumbup:

To the OP, DO IT!!! I am an older student going to class with younger kids. I haven't had a single problem with any of the students. I've actually have had more problems with mean, "gossipy", bossy, hateful and lazy nurses I work with than with the kids at school. I've had some classmates say, "Wow, that's real cool you're going back to school!" And, whenever we had the med students in rotating through the ED, I'd work with the MS3's, talk with the residents and chief residents and they've ALL told me to DO IT no matter what my age may be!!!

I'm going to be applying in 2 years. I'm starting to not give a rip how old I'll be when I'm done with residency anymore. Yes, Nurse Prac always pops in my head due to being older and getting a cruddy "C" in physics but I'm heading towards the goal.

What's done is done. You weren't ready to take on the role of being a physician. At least you recognized that early on and moved onwards. THAT takes maturity and guts. You didn't become an arrogant, hateful doctor just because you were heading towards a cliff. True story ~ I work with a doc that hates being a doc. Good guy, nice doc, he said he always wanted to be an engineer. Be thankful you're not THAT guy.

OP, let's do this!!!

Last edited:
Know what happens if you don't take the shot? NOTHING. That simple. People shouldn't be looking at your age on the application any more than they should be looking at any other equal opportunity protected class. Especially if you are going in to primary care; go for it. What you should be asking are things like, "How physically fit am I? How financially fit am I? Where am I in terms of stability of family relationships/responsibility? Am I psychologically up for the extreme demands?" These are the kinds of questions ANY/EVERY applicant should ask, regardless of age. People tend to focus on the negative or on making differences a negative thing. Forget that and move forward.

jl lin that's about the most intelligent and respected response I've heard on this site in a long time! SOOOOO true: I'm glad YOU are in the medical field!

OP: You need to ask yourself the hard questions associated with becoming a Dr. like jl lin said: are you ready in the various areas of my life? Financial, academic. physical? If all that "checks out" then hit it!

I'll be right there along side you in a few years! I'm 45 y/0 . I'll be 52 when I graduate med school. I took the plunge earlier this year: left my 6 figure job, sold the house and now attend University full time.

Now that I've been back in academics 2 whole weeks, I find that age is less an issue with everyone around me, more of an internal issue I had to battle the first few days back on a University campus.
Now I'm just another student. Feels great!

Last edited:

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Yes. I didn't look at the dates. I should have. My bad. :) BTW. Her last response was this summer: June 28, 2014 : http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/my-age-as-barrier-to-osteopathic-med-school.1081771/

She was still grappling.
I see. Well, if she keeps grappling for a few more years, the decision will be made for her, and that's probably for the best. Like Goro, I agree that she kind of made her decision 30 years ago when she dropped out of med school for poor academic performance, and a further year of vacillating now in her mid fifties doesn't exactly work in her favor. She'd be an extremely high risk candidate. I'm all in favor of nontrads pursuing their dreams, but I agree with his advice that the OP should move on in this case.

OP, if you're still reading this, yes, it's time to let med school go for good. You don't appear to have the drive necessary to get through a full decade of medical training even if you were 24, let alone 54. But there's nothing to stop you from taking science classes and heck, even getting a PhD for funsies if you want. So I'd suggest considering grad school, where you can dabble away in science, humanities, or anything else you like, including teaching if you so desire. Come to think of it, going to grad school part time doesn't sound like a bad way to spend one's "retirement" to me. I'm imagining being a grad student again but actually having some money this time, and there's definitely a certain appeal to the idea.... :p

Hi Q. Is age the main thing on which you are basing this?

Hi Q. Is age the main thing on which you are basing this?
The main thing I'm basing this on is that the OP has been dilly-dallying around for a year and has apparently yet to even make a final decision, let alone take a single action toward preparing for med school. Not exactly the kind of motivation level I'd want to see in a twenty-something year old candidate, let alone one in her mid fifties. She also, to put it bluntly, basically flunked out of med school the first time around. Both of those factors together make her too high-risk as a viable med school candidate. And yes, age does matter in her case, because no adcom is going to admit her ten years from now if that's when she finally decides to get motivated. Whereas, an indecisive 25-year-old does have that luxury of revisiting the possibility of med school in another decade. But if this OP still ain't ready to commit now, she never will be, and it's time to accept that and move on.

I know it bothers you to hear anyone be told that their dream is not realistic. I get where you're coming from. And I wouldn't categorically say that no candidates the OP's age should be considered. But anyone in their 50s who's seriously thinking about med school needs to show some real fire in their belly, or else just forget the whole thing.

The main thing I'm basing this on is that the OP has been dilly-dallying around for a year and has apparently yet to even make a final decision, let alone take a single action toward preparing for med school. Not exactly the kind of motivation level I'd want to see in a twenty-something year old candidate, let alone one in her mid fifties. She also, to put it bluntly, basically flunked out of med school the first time around. Both of those factors together make her too high-risk as a viable med school candidate. And yes, age does matter in her case, because no adcom is going to admit her ten years from now if that's when she finally decides to get motivated. Whereas, an indecisive 25-year-old does have that luxury of revisiting the possibility of med school in another decade. But if this OP still ain't ready to commit now, she never will be, and it's time to accept that and move on.

I know it bothers you to hear anyone be told that their dream is not realistic. I get where you're coming from. And I wouldn't categorically say that no candidates the OP's age should be considered. But anyone in their 50s who's seriously thinking about med school needs to show some real fire in their belly, or else just forget the whole thing.

Understandable.

To which I submit the following:

http://www.slideshare.net/Ysobel/big-hairy-audacious-goals

"Desire is never enough to reach a goal. Bigger factors are the belief that goal is possible and prioritizing the activities that drive the result."--Dr. Henry Cloud

I have no idea who Henry Cloud is, but yeah, that's the gist of it. Especially the prioritizing the activities parts. Medical training isn't a spectator sport, and neither is being a premed.

Oh ok...then I will. 53. Cate-mf'n-gorically too old.

Get a hobby. Join a shuffle board league. Volunteer at the school.

Don't...do medical training.

Having dreams of becoming something else at 53 is like riding around on a skateboard at 53. Just...why? And...just...stop it.

If you can laugh maniacally while I'm saying this and tell me F off...then maybe...just maybe...you're that one lunatic who might do it and make the papers and inspire the half-hearted efforts of less zealous and committed lunatics to come here and post about maybe doing something with their geriatric selves.

Oh ok...then I will. 53. Cate-mf'n-gorically too old.

Get a hobby. Join a shuffle board league. Volunteer at the school.

Don't...do medical training.

Having dreams of becoming something else at 53 is like riding around on a skateboard at 53. Just...why? And...just...stop it.

If you can laugh maniacally while I'm saying this and tell me F off...then maybe...just maybe...you're that one lunatic who might do it and make the papers and inspire the half-hearted efforts of less zealous and committed lunatics to come here and post about maybe doing something with their geriatric selves.

Big Smile and Laugh. Nice. There you go--stimulating some psychological reactance. ;)

OP. If you are still around or for anyone in a similar situation, I feel I have to share this.
Don't put too, too much into what is said on Internet boards. Why? Well, b/c only YOU can decide if you have the "fire in the belly." If you don't make an honest try of it, you will never know, and that may be harder to live with than a rejection. No one can really know individuals here and what they are all about. People draw conclusions based on what you share. Are there those that have insight to some degree? Yes! Yes! But they do not know you and your particulars. You can only put so much into the responses given to you online. Most of your decision has to come from critical evaluation--coming from you--and coming from what is required for med school admission.

Some folks that have gone through the process have become chagrin by it. And this is where I feel strong insight into medicine, from the get-go--clinically speaking--is most important--maybe even more important than GPAs and MCAT scores. How can you tell people of all the lackluster aspects of medical education and the work itself--especially given the glamorized view of the field by way of television, movies, or books? Much of medicine is just plain grubby and exhausting. I have worked very closely with those that have tasted this, and have also tasted of it in my field-specialty. If you work enough clinically, you can't miss it--if you have any ability to see reality at all.

My point is that you can get a fair number of negatives from folks who have been or are going through the process of becoming physicians--especially if it fell very short of their expectations; which often, for many that have gone through medical education, it has. Healthcare in general has a lot of suckage. So for med school, to put all the money, time, and energy into a field when it seems to fall short of expectations and when one is up against all that that suckage is beyond frustrating to some. And then there are just those that have resigned themselves to seeing the down-side of everything--some of them are even quite humorous in sharing it--but b/c life falls short of some utopia, they see primarily the suckage.
I only put so much into what is shared on the boards here, even with those I respect; b/c there are a lot of dynamics that make up responses from people.

So, I say, if you are still interested, keep moving forward, and find a way to make the determination for yourself after you have done all the homework.
Sure, listen to experienced others, but also keep in mind that they don't know the whole you and what you have to offer. What sucks most for you is that you were in med school before--to which adcom committee members will reason: The best predictor of future behavior is past behavior. Thus, it is incumbent upon you, the individual applicant, to show a pattern of positive change from which the members can strive to give a more balanced evaluation. Is it still a risk after that? YES! Not even everyone with a 4.0 and MCAT of >/= 40 gets into medical school. The statistics may be in their favor, but it's still a bit of a crap shoot. There is no perfect equation by which one obtains entrance to medical school. All you can do is your absolute best in showing you have made changes in a positive direction. It's no different than interviewing and applying for any number of jobs/positions. You have got to go to the interview, putting your best foot forward; but you do not know the "fit" or qualifications of all the other interviewees before or after you. Should that stop you from applying and hopefully interviewing? NO. Absolutely not.

I realize most may not know of this psychologist, Dr. Cloud, But I have found some of his work helpful. So here is what he says with regard to highly successful people:

"Successful people never again… Return to what hasn’t worked. Whether a job, or a broken relationship that was ended for a good reason, we should never go back to the same thing, expecting different results, without something being different- See more at: http://www.success.com/article/10-things-successful-people-never-do-again#sthash.V6B47Ehy.dpuf

So, to your original query, here are some more: What has changed? What is different? What is the new positive pattern, and how well is it demonstrated?"

If you are going to put yourself out there, and that is what medical school and education is---really, really putting yourself out there in the extreme--can you demonstrate a phenomenal change that would cause people on an adcom committee to give you another chance, given all the applicants that haven't had the chance in the first place???? There's no dancing around this. It's the big elephant in the room. If you can demonstrate this, pick your numbers and pull the lever. When there are a lot of applicants, it puts even the best candidates at risk for not winning the medical-school-admission-lottery. Regardless, at the end of the day, if you don't apply (play) you can't win. It's about optimizing your chances given the applicant pool.

Finally, be sure for you--yourself-- that this is what you want--that way your motivation will not be hampered by other people's opinions, which are often influenced by their own experiences and feelings. They might be speaking from experience; but they may also feel a sense of let-down, when the role they have pursued doesn't meet their expectations.

At the end of the day, only the individual person can make the decision of whether or not he or she should apply. It's about what you want and what you can demonstrate. Are there risks? Do you have to mitigate your losses and put your best foot forward? Yes and yes. As in getting a particular job, however, you must do your due diligence and go to the interview, or you definitely won't get the job.

I don't put a lot about my specifics on here; b/c while there are folks that can give good insight, they don't know all of my particulars. When my application is complete and ready to go forth, I will send each one to where they ought to go, and move forward from there. All you can do is your best application. After that, it's up to God and the universe, so to speak. You don’t know if you don’t do the work and try.

Last edited:
If I've managed to talk the OP out of applying to med school, I look at it as having done her a favor. Because if someone on the internet can talk you out of your "dream," well, then it wasn't much more than a pipe dream in the first place, was it? On the other hand, if I've managed to light a fire under her butt where now she's going to prove me and all the other doubters wrong, well, I've done her a favor again. Either way she gets off the fence is a good outcome in my book.

Reactions: 4 users
Go for it. Try it. Good luck. I wish you the best and more success.

Try to live in peace with everyone. And try to keep your lives free from sin. Anyone whose life is not holy will never see the Lord. (‭Hebrews‬ ‭12‬:‭14‬ ERV)