Too tall for student coat?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jbbond007

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have kind of a silly problem, but it bothers me everyday nonetheless. I am almost six and a half feet tall, so the typical student white coat (consultation length coat), which are 30" long, fall above my belt and look ridiculous. I already look awkward enough without the addition of this weird, white, vest-length coat stuffed with reference material and granola bars. I hate walking into a patient's room and feeling like a clown in my ill-fitting coat. So, my question is this: Does anyone wear the mid-length white coats?

I am kind of torn on the subject. On the one hand, I want to look and feel like a professional in front of my patients. Sometimes that is the first step in earning a patient's trust. I also don't like to draw attention to my proportions by wearing a coat that just points out that I am too tall. I really don't enjoy explaining that I am far too clumsy to play basketball (which is invariably everyone's first question). Sure, the mid-length coats are about 8 inches longer than traditional, but I am about 8 inches taller than the average guy. The mid-length coats are still a good six inches shorter than the full length coats that real doctors (as well as a lot of non-professional medical staff for that matter) wear. On the other hand, I don't want my peers and residents to think that I am trying to elevate my status or something. I want to be a part of the team and adhere to my role on that team. I don't want to give the impression that I think I am special when compared to my peers. I especially don't want people to assume I am a douche before they have a chance to meet me. To be honest, I can't decide which is worse: to look silly or to look arrogant. Maybe there's a third option that I haven't considered. Maybe I'm just overthinking the whole issue and no one else cares. Any thoughts on the subject?

Members don't see this ad.

Oops. I posted to the wrong group, but maybe the pre-meds' opinion will be helpful too.

Just wear a white bathrobe. Throw in some house slippers and you'll be bossed up.

images

/thread

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
IDK how fitting works as I'm just pre-med, but could you size up at all? Or is it one-size fits all Or perhaps ask for a new one or get a new one? Larger sizes are generally taller.

I'm 6'2" with a freakishly long torso, so I've had to go L or XL for volunteering gear myself.

Huh I don't understand how you are having a issue. Just get a bigger size lmao. I'm 6 foot 3 and wore a mid length lab coat for orgo/chem lab just fine, and wear a short lab coat in pharmacy fine...

We have several guys in my class over the 6' mark, and they just got the tall coats when they were getting sized. They hit about hip level, just like all us short people who get the regular coats.