Took DAT second time with lower scores, what should I do now?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stc190

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took DAT first time last year got: 20AA, 21TS, 20 PAT, 20 QR, 18 RC, 20 BIO, 21 GC, 22 OC.

I just took DAT second time today then got: 20 AA, 21 TS, 19 PAT, 21 QR, 16 RC, 19 BIO, 22 GC, 24 OC.
With lower scores on three sections, I feel that I just completely destroyed any chances to get interviews. I applied last year, got 4 interviews and were waitlisted on all schools I interviewed at. I knew interview skills were my major problems, and I have worked on them. The reason I took DAT again is that I want to make some improvement because my GPA is about the same as last time I applied. 3.8 overGPA, 3.7 science, 3.6 BPC. I have submitted my second time application on June 30th, 2016. I applied to UPenn, NYU, Temple, NOVA, LECOM, and three Texas schools (Texas residency).
What should I do now? Should I retake DAT for the third time? I did feel regret to take DAT the second time, but the important thing for now is what I can do to make this situation less worse. Should I add more schools? So disappointed at myself. Before, I took DAT the second time, I felt more confident especially on RC. I score 18-21 on RC when I took RC on DAT Bootcamp.
The damage has been done, I feel totally screwed. :unsure:

Members don't see this ad.

You retook the DAT with an excellent score yet you knew why you didn't snag any acceptances? That literally makes no sense, no offense. It's not like your 2nd DAT is really different than the first, so that's a plus.

Reactions: 2 users
With that gpa and a 20/21 DAT, it really must have been your interview skills/essays that hurt you. Your stats are more than fine. I'd add a couple more schools and work on your interviews skills.
+1 on this.

Members don't see this ad :)
You should be completely fine. With those stats you're an above average applicant. Your problem seems to be interview skills. You should be able to cash in on at least one acceptance with 4 interviews. My advice would be to cast a larger net this time when you apply and work on interview skills with someone you can trust to give you good constructive criticism.

If those are, in fact your GPAs, I don't think the DAT or the GPA is the issue. It is likely your interview skills. Did you know what you did/said that you shouldn't have? Look there first

Why would you retake in the first place? What a waste of time and money. You had interviews, so your stats wasnt the problem to begin with.

Last edited:
The scores are generally fine but I'm concerned about the 16 in reading comprehension. That is one of the more important sections.

How many schools did you apply to the first time?

Thanks for all the inputs. I will definitely work on my interview skills and add more schools. When I was in the interviews, I got so nervous which made me couldn't even organize my thoughts clearly. I might not answer the interview questions clearly and directly. I think that's why I didn't have any acceptances out of four interviews. With the interviews experience, I feel a little more confident this time. At least, I will not get nervous as last time. But, with 16 on RC, I doubt that I will get any interview this time.

Why would you retake in the first place? What a waste of time and money. You had interviews, so your stats wasnt the problem to begin with.
Because I wasn't satisfied with my first DAT scores, I thought I would do better second time. As a re-applicant, I feel the chances of getting interviews would be lower somehow. I was hoping getting higher scores second time, so this way I could show admissions committee what I have done to improve my application as a re-applicant. Retaking DAT is like gambling, you take the chances of winning or losing. I did regret to take the DAT again, but if I didn't take it again, I might be wondering the rest of my life what would happen if I took DAT again? Sometimes, people make stupid decisions but at the time they made the decisions, they were not able to know these would be stupid decisions which they would regret later.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
The scores are generally fine but I'm concerned about the 16 in reading comprehension. That is one of the more important sections.

I applied to 11 schools last year.
16 in RC is what I am worried about the most now. I will apply to more schools and work on my interview skills. If no interview this time...IDK....maybe I will retake DAT third time next year?

Last edited:
It's all about perspective. Don't tell them any of this if you get an interview, which I think you can get if you present yourself right on paper. Just say that you wanted to challenge yourself, fell short of your goal but learned something new that will help in dental school.

16 in QR is what I am worried about the most now. I will apply to more schools and work on my interview skills. If no interview this time...IDK....maybe I will retake DAT third time next year?

Was the 16 QR or RC? I was under the impression that your RC is more important than your QR.

There lots of school that take your highest instead of your most recent. Just gotta check around.

20AA/21TS is great. Not sure why the retake. Like what everyone else said, if you had interviews, you were good enough on paper.

the texas schools will look at your most recent DAT and, in my opinion, the 16 in RC will be unacceptable. especially down from an 18 which is borderline average. all 3 schools stressed the importance of this section - my d1 course load at baylor is 25 hrs/semester.
retake for a 3rd time? i would call the schools and get their opinion. you've proven yourself to be pretty competent and consistent in all other sections.

What's done is done. Look at what else you can improve now. Write a beautiful ps, stack up more outstanding extra curriculars, and have more confidence in yourself during interviews. You were nervous because you worried toomuch on the images of yourself you want them to see. Don't be. Be who you are and be proud.

My 2 cents on what might help you:
Go watch youtube videos on Nido Quibein's speeches. Good motivational speaker.

16 in RC is what I am worried about the most now. I will apply to more schools and work on my interview skills. If no interview this time...IDK....maybe I will retake DAT third time next year?

RC is one of the most, if not the most, crucial sections that schools look at. It is the only section that tells the committee "Hey, this person can read material on the spot, understand it, and not get tripped up by tricky questions." Your AA is great. Your RC isn't. Call schools and request advice. I feel they may tell you to retake. Everyone else's opinion here are just that--opinions. Talk to admission counselors about your situation.

I think it's fine that three score went down, but that 16 RC is really questionable, because that's a key component and may get you bumped out. I would call your top choice of a few for a little insight, because obviously nobody on here can tell you as well as them. I'd plan to retake just one more time, but DON'T psych yourself out! Sure, you made a mistake and we all do. If you don't retake, have a really awesome answer for why your scores may have gone down. I practiced so many weeks on QR and PAT only to get the same exact scores as the first time, so I'm sure they'll ask me about that.

Not a good idea to ask here. The milk was already spilled over everywhere. Write a good essay, apply 20+ schools or do great interviews. If you don't get accepted this cycle, then take the 4th one (need a permission from ADA) and score 20+ on every section. Good luck on this cycle.

Don't get down so fast. I would suggest going to Dentalmaverick.com and go to the free student video section. Watch #4 in particular. Be prepared to be accountable for why you got a lower score and be honest. Display how you will still work hard. You can do it!