Took Naples Today - No HIV and only 1 Onc question! Bad sign?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Albo

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I took the Naplex this morning and like most of people here, I felt devastated after taking the exam. I got one oncology question (at least i got that right) around question 20-25 and then no oncology or HIV. I heard that if your get those types of questions, it means you are doing well. Halfway through I became anxious and and kept anticipating these topics and they never came. I had a lot of ID, MS, COPD and ASMA. I got some easy questions by the end of the exam such as MOA of easy drugs and brand -generic.

I feel like it is not looking too good for me here. Anyone else had a similar experience and still passed? Please share and help a fellow SDNer sleep tonight.

PS. Misspelled NAPLEX in the title. Can a moderator fix it for me? Thanks

PSS. I had to wait for 3 weeks because the Michigan BOP is slow as hell but I PASSED!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello all,

I took the Naplex this morning and like most of people here, I felt devastated after taking the exam. I got one oncology question (at least i got that right) around question 20-25 and then no oncology or HIV. I heard that if your get those types of questions, it means you are doing well. Halfway through I became anxious and and kept anticipating these topics and they never came. I had a lot of ID, MS, COPD and ASMA. I got some easy questions by the end of the exam such as MOA of easy drugs and brand -generic.

I feel like it is not looking too good for me here. Anyone else had a similar experience and still passed? Please share and help a fellow SDNer sleep tonight.

Albo!

Congratulations on taking your NAPLEX today! To me it sounds like you did just fine. Let me elaborate on this a bit. Any question from any topic can technically be of low difficulty or high difficulty. Just because a question is on HIV or related to it does not mean that the question is worth more and/or that you are doing well. My point is that the actual topic does not define the difficulty level of a question. There are easy HIV questions as well as hard ones.

My first question, for example, was a tricky math calculation followed by a set of 5 to 6 HIV questions which actually got harder. Those were followed by oncology and they were a mix of difficulty levels. Through the exam, I also had some questions that were so I easy became somewhat concerned. What is sometimes a better gauge of how you did is that amount of calculations that you had and their level of difficulty. How many calculations did you have? Do you feel like you got them right?

Even gauging by the number of calculations can be tricky. I know someone who had around 45 calculations and ended up with a 98 on the NAPLEX. I only had 18 and ended up with a 107. I guess what is most important is how confident did you feel about your answers to the calculations.

Let's talk some more. I will calm your nerves.

Best,

Apotheker2015

Reactions: 1 user
Hello all,

Hey Albo,

I just took mines today as well! My started off with a bunch of HIV questions then it shifted to some math and to oncology. My exam was all over the place, it was on biostats, otc, anticoag, and others I can't really remember. I guessed on a bunch of questions during the exam. Got some really easy questions then I got more math towards the end when I was kinda hoping I did get more math. Overall I walked out and felt like I failed. I'll keep you updated on how I do so I'm in the same boat as you.

Hey Albo,

I just took mines today as well! My started off with a bunch of HIV questions then it shifted to some math and to oncology. My exam was all over the place, it was on biostats, otc, anticoag, and others I can't really remember. I guessed on a bunch of questions during the exam. Got some really easy questions then I got more math towards the end when I was kinda hoping I did get more math. Overall I walked out and felt like I failed. I'll keep you updated on how I do so I'm in the same boat as you.

Neither one of you failed. I need to start betting money on this issue with people.
I'm serious. I doubt you failed.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know, I never felt this bad about an exam before. I have a feeling this one didn't go well at all. I had about 25-30 calculations. Most of them were pretty simple such as dripping dosages and calculate the dosage of medications. I had some alligation problems, a couple mEQ and biostatistics. Thats all I can remember. What worries me is that halfway through I panicked that I wasn't getting HIV/Onc questions and might have clicked too fast and/or not payed enough attention on some of the questions. I took the pre naplex the first time, a month ago before studying and got 58 and then retook it yesterday before the exam and got 88 but I felt like the pre naplex was much easier than the actual exam.

My naplex experience was interesting in that I had about 15 calculations (relatively simple) with questions from a bunch of different subjects. No onc questions and maybe 7 HIV questions. I didn't think the test was that crazy difficult and the test ended with pretty easy questions. I was suspicious like you and didn't really know how it went. Turns out I passed with lots of room to spare so don't be discouraged :)

I don't know, I never felt this bad about an exam before. I have a feeling this one didn't go well at all. I had about 25-30 calculations. Most of them were pretty simple such as dripping dosages and calculate the dosage of medications. I had some alligation problems, a couple mEQ and biostatistics. Thats all I can remember. What worries me is that halfway through I panicked that I wasn't getting HIV/Onc questions and might have clicked too fast and/or not payed enough attention on some of the questions. I took the pre naplex the first time, a month ago before studying and got 58 and then retook it yesterday before the exam and got 88 but I felt like the pre naplex was much easier than the actual exam.

Albo,

I should add that I got a 67 on my Pre-NAPLEX. I took it about a month and a half ago before I even touched the Rxprep book. Then I ended up with a 107 on the NAPLEX. I know it is not a 142 BUT I managed to turn the 67 into a 107. I studied hard, passed and now I am licensed. And so will you!

Your mixed feelings about the exam are quite common. To be honest, I did not leave freaking out. I do think that I answered a lot of questions correctly that were ultimately thrown out as experimental questions. I am one of those people who lives for random and odd facts. I got like 4 questions on gestational diabetes and I know for a fact that I answered them correctly. Gestational diabetes is not even discussed on the Rxprep book.

if your math was right, you should be more than fine. How did you study?

Best,

Apotheker2015

Thank you for the support Apotheker2015. I studied for about a month. I read/skimmed all the RXPREP book. Did all the quizzes online and studied from the quizzes too, writing down pertinent information. It is sad because I really concentrated on HIV/Onc and didn't think I would get this many detailed ID questions about antibiotic coverage. I kept getting 50-60 on the quizzes online and that is what worries me the most. I felt like my base knowledge was lacking. I also did the SDN 120 questions the night before the exam. I am an average student, graduated with a GPA of 3.1.

I started strong but halfway through, after the first 100 questions when It seemed that I wasn't getting any HIV/Onc questions I became so distraught and might have rushed through the rest. The only good thing is that I have a solid foundation in math and always been good at it so hopefully, if it is true that most of the people that fail do because of math, I did well in that section.

Last edited:
Thank you for the support Apotheker2015. I studied for about a month. I read/skimmed all the RXPREP book. Did all the quizzes online and studied from the quizzes too, writing down pertinent information. It is sad because I really concentrated on HIV/Onc and didn't think I would get this many detailed ID questions about antibiotic coverage. I kept getting 50-60 on the quizzes online and that is what worries me the most. I felt like my base knowledge was lacking. I also did the SDN 120 questions the night before the exam. I am an average student, graduated with a GPA of 3.1.

I started strong but halfway through, after the first 100 questions when It seemed that I wasn't getting any HIV/Onc questions I became so distraught and might have rushed through the rest. The only good thing is that I have a solid foundation in math and always been good at it so hopefully, if it is true that most of the people that fail do because of math, I did well in that section.

Hey Albo,

I think you did just fine and definitely broke a 100. Another thought is that maybe the Computer Adaptive System decided to throw a lot of Infectious Diseases experimental questions at you. That's always a possibility. Roughly, this was the distribution of mine:

Calculations: 18
Infectious diseases: 13
Anticoagulation: 10
Epilepsy: 10
Oncology: 8
HIV: 7
Diabetes: 7
Biostats: 6
Pain: 6
Schizophrenia/Psychosis: 6

The only chapter I did not get questions from was Sickle Cell anemia. The test gave me questions on pretty much every chapter.
You're probably going to find out by tomorrow and you will see that in the end you had nothing to worry about. You passed. So just find yourself something to occupy your mind with until then.

Best,

Apotheker2015

I took mine yesterday too and I feel terrible about it! Most of my exam was anticoag, herbal medication and CHF. All of my classmates were complaining about HIV and oncology but I hardly had any! I am so scared as if they didn't give me the harder questions and I kept screwing up the easy questions. I did exam master, our school review, rxprep study guide provided from a classmate and kisspharm to prepare myself and kept getting 50-60% on the exam master which my friend did the same and ended up passing with flying colors. I think I did well in the math. It wasn't too bad and I am good in dimensional analysis stuff anyway. I am hoping that pushes me over the edge! I am so nervous. I do not want to take the longer NAPLEX exam in November :(

You passed, as well. Chil-lax!

From your mouth to God's ears!

LOL, I am not claiming clairvoyance here but I offered to pay the registration fee of $505 dollars to the last person who came to me freaking out about the NAPLEX. Two days later she found out she got a 98 on the NAPLEX.

Just sit tight and wait for your results and let us all know.

Best,

Apotheker2015

Hi Apotheker2015,

Unfortunately I am in Michigan and the state does not participate in online scoring results. I have to wait for 7-9 business days to have my requirement drop from the application status page at the state licensing website and about 3 weeks for the snail mailto arrive with the results. I had to go through the same thing for the MPJE results in this state. On the NABP website my registration closed for the Naplex, the button turned orange and I can add score transfers. I am so tempted to transfer scores to Ohio for $75 and see if they would post my grade after couple days since Ohio participates in online scores. Thank you for all your support and help!

@Albo so you're thing says you can add score transfers? Mine says null! Is that bad? I didn't opt for score transfers when I first started.

Honestly I think is all a big rumor. My button just turned orange this morning and I took the exam 3 days ago. Under score transfers it has the link to add score transfer and click the states same as prior to closing the registration. I don't really believe it means anything though. I did a search and keep getting conflicting information. We just have to wait and see.

Hi Apotheker2015,

Unfortunately I am in Michigan and the state does not participate in online scoring results. I have to wait for 7-9 business days to have my requirement drop from the application status page at the state licensing website and about 3 weeks for the snail mailto arrive with the results. I had to go through the same thing for the MPJE results in this state. On the NABP website my registration closed for the Naplex, the button turned orange and I can add score transfers. I am so tempted to transfer scores to Ohio for $75 and see if they would post my grade after couple days since Ohio participates in online scores. Thank you for all your support and help!

Hey Albo,

I don't know that adding score transfer would work the way one would hope. Before shelling out the $75 dollars, call NABP and ask. I wonder if Ohio would need to have your application in their system for you to be able to see the score. I don't know. I would just call and ask.

Best,

Apotheker2015

Hello,
Has anyone taken the NAPLEX this year in California-- wondering how long it takes to get results. thanks.

See mine just says null on it. It won't let me even click on it. Then I talked to the NABP about it because I am thinking of practicing in another state and the person said that mine says null because IL won't allow them to post scores but once they release it then I can transfer my scores. I guess it depends on the state that you're in but he also said wait to see what my score is before transfering. Kinda making me nervous here.

I know it's been a while but I was wondering if you passed or not. I just wanted to follow up on the "null" rumors