Took O-chem I ten years ago. What do I need to do to get ready for O-chem II?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Terry Toma

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My prof has given me some ideas about topics that I should brush up on, but I just wanted to get some thoughts from SDNers' personal experiences as well (with the understanding that the two courses differ a bit between schools).

I feel like I have retained a pretty good level of conceptual knowledge. Also, I completed an intro biochem course last semester, which provided some review, though the course was really more conceptual and didn't get into much detail regarding reaction mechanisms. I do feel like O-chem comes fairly naturally to me (I'm the type who didn't really enjoy gen chem, but liked O-chem a lot better).

While I feel pretty good about my conceptual level knowledge, I haven't spent any time actually working O-chem I type problems in quite a few years, and I don't remember much of anything about specific reaction mechanisms. I'm trying to decide what level of review I need before I can jump into O-chem II.

Is this a "spend 10-20 hours rereading the O-chem I text to make sure you understand all of the language and concepts" kind of situation, or is it a "spend a few months making sure that you can work every type of O-chem I problem forwards and backwards before you even think about taking O-chem II" kind of thing?

TL;DR: Would I be an idiot if I took O-chem II ten years after finishing O-chem I without a ton of review?

Members don't see this ad.

Think it's hard to say. People seem to have very different reactions to Ochem one. There are some great free online resources for just about any of the pre reqs. You could check those out as sort of a test run. Khan Academy might be one to check out. The "Organic chemistry as a second laguage books" are highly rated around here and small enough you could use the to review and assess your level of comfort.

Reactions: 1 users
Ochem I

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry, the troll is alive and well in me tonight.

I would take O chem I again. I know it takes more time but I think it will serve you better in the long run

Sorry, the troll is alive and well in me tonight.

I don't think you're trolling; it was literally my thought after reading the OP's subject line/post. Ten years is past the prerequisite limit for a lot of programs. I think the OP may have to take organic chemistry I again.

Spend a week hardcore reading and doing every problem within the "organic chemistry as a second language" books. Refer to earlier chapters in your textbook to clear up any difficult concepts. While reading the books make a chart with the differences between SN1/SN2/E1/E2. Also make a sheet with all the major reactions and what's necessary to undergo those reactions. This should suffice as most Orgo 2 classes stick to spectroscopy in the beginning so you'll have time within the first few weeks of the semester to finish rehashing older topics.

Thanks for the replies. I suppose I'll go through the first week of the class and see how things look before the add/drop period ends.

Run through all the Khan Academy OChem I stuff just to calibrate yourself on how much you've forgotten.

I'd take OChem I again - I did after 7 years. But if you're determined, buy "Organic Chemistry as a Second Language" by David Klein. PM me if you want a PDF copy of a current OChem textbook (also written by David Klein so you can do similar practice).

This was seriously my favorite class, but it's hard and I would not have done in the much harder second portion without retaking part I.

Re-taking it isn't going to hurt you in any aspect. The worst thing is you'll notice a significant amount of redundancy from years back. Even at this rate I think your confidence will be where it needs to be to proceed into OchemII next semester.

I don't think you're trolling; it was literally my thought after reading the OP's subject line/post. Ten years is past the prerequisite limit for a lot of programs. I think the OP may have to take organic chemistry I again.
I didn't come across any schools with prereq time limits. I wouldn't take it for the sake if taking it again unless that's common among all the schools OP wants to apply to.

(1) I didn't come across any schools with prereq time limits. I wouldn't take it (2) for the sake if taking it again (3) unless that's common among all the schools OP wants to apply to.

1) A number of schools have explicit policies regarding the expiration of prerequisites stated on their websites: Jefferson, UMASS, Duke, NYU, Maryland, Cornell, etc. . A number of other schools (Wisconsin, Minnesota, etc.) don't have expiration dates but expect to see recent upper level work to augment an older student record. A couple of schools (UTMB) state on their website that it is a "concern" if the student has not completed substantial recent coursework. As with most things, the OP should reach out to the schools he/she/they are interested in attending to determine their policies.

2) I, and I believe most posters, weren't recommending the OP take it for "the sake of taking it again." That would be a wast of time and money. I think if the OP said they took BIO 1 ten years ago, there would have been less of a suggestion for them to retake the course, but organic chemistry is difficult and there are concerns as to how the OP would perform in the second course given the time between the two. It seems like the OP has decided to brush up on the first course and then strategically use the add/drop deadline to test the waters in the second course. On face, this seems like a decent plan.

3) Correct. The OP should check the websites (or call) the schools they are interested in attending to determine their policies.

you need to take ochem 1 again, no question
the idea that you could retain any significant knowledge of content on the syallbus after 10 years is laughable. Even a few months after the final is pushing it. I was 5 years out from Chem 1, and while I technically did not need to retake it, I did because it was ludicrous not to. In your case you technically do need to retake it. Medicine is nt a good place for people who try to cut corners or are impatient.

Thanks, all. Seems like the common opinion is that O chem II relies too heavily on O chem I material to jump into the second course with only a brief review of the first. I'm passing on the course this semester. I'll either retake or do some serious review of O chem I over the summer and then take the second course next fall.

I was leaning this direction myself, but it's good to have some confirmation so that I know that I'm not needlessly putting it off.

I would just get a O'Chem I textbook, syllabus, and if necessary, a tutor to refresh my memory - and/or - refresh with MCAT O'Chem. That being said, I'm good at O'Chem and caught on to it easily the first time. If you weren't as fortunate, actually taking the class or asking to sit in or audit a class might be better.