Took the DAT again and improved, chances at dental school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Patelji12

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Seems like your stats are pretty dang average, maybe slightly below average, so you should be totally set. I'd buy the official ADEA guide to dental schools, look at their statistics, and pick the schools that fit your persona the best.

Reactions: 1 user
Your state of residency?

Schools like UNC won't even look at your application of you don't live in NC with those stats. State schools you are not a resident of will pretty much reject you outright.

Members don't see this ad :)
Unless u from SC, your chance at musc is slim to none.

Hey everyone, I took the DAT for the second time this year.

Scores the first time:
PAT:20
QR: 15
RC: 15
Bio: 18
GC: 15
OC: 16
TS: 16
AA: 16

Second time:
PAT:19
QR: 17
RC: 19
Bio: 19
GC: 19
OC: 19
TS: 19
AA: 19

My Overall GPA: 3.48 Science GPA: 3.31-3.33

These are the school so far I have down to apply:
  • Nova Southeastern University College of Dental Medicine (NSU) FL 12/01/2016
  • Midwestern University College of Dental Medicine-Illinois (MWU-IL) IL 01/01/2017
  • Indiana University School of Dentistry (IND) IN 11/01/2016
  • University of Kentucky College of Dentistry (UK) KY 12/01/2016
  • University of Louisville School of Dentistry (UL) KY 01/01/2017
  • Boston University Henry M Goldman School of Dental Medicine (BU) MA 12/01/2016
  • Tufts University School of Dental Medicine (TUF) MA 02/01/2017
  • University of Maryland School of Dentistry (MYD) MD 12/31/2016
  • East Carolina University School of Dental Medicine (ECU) NC 12/01/2016
  • University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill School of Dentistry (UNC) NC 11/01/2016
  • University of Oklahoma College of Dentistry (OKL) OK 10/01/2016
  • Medical University of South Carolina James B. Edwards College of Dental Medicine (MSC) SC 12/01/2016
  • University of Tennessee Health Science Center College of Dentistry (UTHSC) TN 09/30/2016
  • Virginia Commonwealth University School of Dentistry (VCU) VA 11/01/2016

So what do you guys think my chances are in these schools? what schools shouldn't I apply to?

Do you have anything else going for you? Seems with those stats, you should have a stellar resume and extracurricular activities. Any research? But overall, you should be ok. You didn't break 20 in any section which is a minus so just do some extra volunteering and you'll have a more well-rounded image.

You may have a hard time with Maryland, especially if it's not your home state. They interview/accept very few international/OOS applicants. Or so I was told during my interview day there.

You may have a hard time with Maryland, especially if it's not your home state. They interview/accept very few international/OOS applicants. Or so I was told during my interview day there.

40% of their class is OOS no?

Why? do they only accept instate? I checked and there is not a requirement I don't have.
their class size is very small (55 i believe) and only about 7 are from OOS. their OOS students are from neighboring states that do not have dental schools. i went to their pre-dental sim course last year and loved the school but as an OOS student its very difficult to get in. their 2nd app fee is $98 so save yourself the $200.

Members don't see this ad :)
40% of their class is OOS no?
Honestly not too sure about that, but I know the international rate was something like 13 people interviewed to 4 accepted in 2014/15

Honestly not too sure about that, but I know the international rate was something like 13 people interviewed to 4 accepted in 2014/15

I mean that's pretty high for international, many schools don't even take those.

Decent GPA, slightly below average DAT (average is like 20 across all sections I believe). Stellar extracurricular activities. You're able to apply to enough schools, which will increase your chance. Don't worry too much, I think you should have no problem getting accepted to at least 1 school on your list.

Last edited:
Decent GPA, slightly above average DAT (average is like 20 across all sections I believe). Stellar extracurricular activities. You're able to apply to enough schools, which will increase your chance. Don't worry too much, I think you should have no problem getting accepted to at least 1 school on your list.

If 20 is average, 19 would be slightly below average.

When you say international? you mean resident of another country besides the US, right? I was born in India but I have been a US citizen since 2006.
Yes, I believe 2 were from China, 1 from Taiwan, and the other one from Canada.

Nice improvement! Wow so many 19s haha such consistency xD. You have decent GPAs, you went from having an under avg DAT to one that's fairly close to average of being accepted. I definitely think you have a solid chance of getting in!

What state are you from? That's really important. Try and stay in your state and the surrounding area. Private schools are the exception if you want to broaden your range, but they tend to be more expensive.