Took the DAT today: 25 AA/24 TS/21 PAT Breakdown

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
S

SXCoronado

I took the DAT today!

This fall I will be a junior at UT Austin (biology major). My GPA is 3.6 and I do not consider myself super smart - I got my first C+ in Orgo I and barely pulled a B- in orgo II. UT's rigorous science classes have made sure I stay humble ;)

These are the materials I used to prepare for the DAT:
1. Chad's videos for general chemistry, organic chemistry, and math. The math videos didn't really help too much since I knew the majority of the material already, but the chemistry videos are so helpful if you take notes and just review the notes for a few weeks before your DAT.
2. DAT Bootcamp - I highly recommend it. The practice exams are perfect for chem/bio. I memorized every bio question on that site because I was scared.
3. Cliff's AP Biology 3rd Edition - I read the first half thoroughly, skimmed the second half. It's available online as a PDF for free. Probably could have studied it more.. I was a little lazy there.
4. Kaplan's Blue Book DAT 7th Edition - I took notes and studied all 15 biology chapters. It was a lot of material.
5. DAT Destroyer/Math Destroyer - I did all 516 biology problems in DAT destroyer 2 days before my DAT. It was insane. :bookworm: I tried to remember all my wrong answers. It helped a lot for the bio section. I did like 100 ochem problems out of the ~200ish while inwardly crying that I was going to fail the orgo section of the DAT. I didn't do a single gchem destroyer problem due to time constraints. I did the first 4 exams in the Math Destroyer and got around 10-16 wrong out of a batch of 40 each time.
6. Crack DAT PAT: I got the edition with 10 PAT exams. I took 6 of them by the time I tested today, mostly getting 21-23 range.

My personal experience taking the DAT:
1. Biology was random. Can't escape it. Just study all the main areas and go for true understanding mixed with fact memorization.
2. Gchem is basic, but tricky if you don't know all the nuances of why certain things are the way they are (does that make any sense?)
3. Ochem was hard for me, like always, but I did my best and somehow pulled a 25?
4. PAT was not bad at all. Just practice so that you can ultra fast beast mode it.
5. Reading was somehow relaxing to me.
6. Math was mostly algebra. Depends if you're fast or not to be honest.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
i had that Komodo dragon passage too and it was SO INTERESTING. congrats!

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow, those are amazing scores! Congrats!!

I had the same passage and I love it. Did you have the x ray and cat scan passage as well ? I hated that one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had the same passage and I love it. Did you have the x ray and cat scan passage as well ? I hated that one.

The x-ray/cat scan was on mine and the komodo dragon one. I wanted to punch the screen when I was skimming the x-ray one.

The x-ray/cat scan was on mine and the komodo dragon one. I wanted to punch the screen when I was skimming the x-ray one.
Haha same here. Lyme and dragon passages were fairly easy to SnD , but when I got to Xray one , I was so pissed. I think that the X-ray passage was the cause why I didn't get higher RC. Lol.

Congrats on your scores. The Princeton Review Cracking the DAT textbook I have has a passage about Komodo dragons for RC practice (12 paragraphs) haha. I guess I should study up on it!

congrats on the amazing scores!! You want to take my DAT for me? :)

Great scores! how was you study schedule? Did you study all summer? And what subjects did you start with?

Thanks!

Awesome scores! I had the Komodo one too! I remember thinking it was soooo interesting and hoping to go home, google it, and read more about them haha! -Thank you for posting because I forgot to look it up, went to Vegas after my DAT, and promptly forgot their name.

I personally loved this reading test, that coming from a reading comprehension hater. I found the xray section easy as I'd taken classes on it in my pharmacy school and could answer some Qs without even searching - got so lucky! Lyme disease was interesting and easy as well already having some background knowledge of it. I was so worried when I came to the third one and then it was the Komodo dragons - so interesting :) I wonder if we wrote the entire same DAT?

Congrats brah those are killer scores. I had mine today. My passages were on Tornadoes, Bose-Einstein Condensation, and H Pylori bacteria. Last one was kinda interesting, the rest were very boring.