Took the NAPLEX today...variety of topics...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr.iz-n

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I read some of the comments about the NAPLEX (had not been on here for a while) and it seemed ppl talked about getting the same type of calculations over and over, or having the same topics come up. For me, I felt like i had a good amount of everything...some more slightly than others...did anyone else have this experience and still pass?

Members don't see this ad.

If your topics keep changing, that means you are getting questions right. When I kept getting anemia over and over, I knew i got a lot of questions on that topic wrong.

Oh okay i guess that makes sense...i had different things come up on hiv and cancer, but they covered different topics. i guesss we shall c what happens...i feel numb...not bad, but not good....half-and-half LOL

Yeah....I don't feel good. Crazy hard questions. From all topics. And a freaking slew of sharpie pens that were not working right. I had to ask for a new pen 4 times before I finally got one that worked. The questions were for the most part ridiculously hard and obsure. I think maybe I got 20 questions max were I looked at it and was like...yeah I know the answer right away. That was one of the worse experiences I have ever had. If I have to do this exam again....I don't know what to say. I think I would rather get hit by a truck. There was one point where I was getting ridiculously hard questions and part of my brain was silently screaming "WHAT the %$#@!!!!! So now I wait. Did I get harder and harder questions because I was getting a lot right or am I just stupid and didn't manage to get any of this info during the last six years of school/rotations/working and the last month of studying like crazy?

Someone talk me down off the ledge....please.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
idk...well there are 35 questions that don't count toward the score. there were a few calculations i feel like i screwed up, but idk

oh and what's this i heard about checking the NABP website and looking at the colors of the buttons for registration (gray vs orange, etc) to see if you passed? is this true, and if so when did most ppl end up checking? 24 hours after their test was completed?

Hi, May I ask you please?
1) Are math qs multiple choices or fill ins?
2) Does Naplex use Brands only? or both?
3)Does exam provides valence of the metals? K, NA,Ca etc. for mEq calculations? Or I should use mOSm?
4) D they provide charts for opiod conversions?
5) Did youhave compounding qs? Like creams, lotions,thickeners etc.
6) Did you see any questions asking to use Pint, Gallons etc, instead of milligrams, grams, milliliters?

Thanks

1. Both. Most were fill in the blanks for me but off the top of my head I had a CrCl that was MC and some other word problems that involved calculations were MC (ex. which strength/quantity of xyz antibiotic suspension is appropriate to fill this RX).
2. Both I had more generics than brands I would say. If anything I had brand names more often for drugs that you only see generic (ex. Lotensin for benazepril) and generic names for newer currently branded products (ex. Saphris/Latuda/etc)
3. I honestly forget, i barely had any mEq calcs and no mOSm that I remember. Generally your only going to see basic electrolytes that you should already know the valence for K/Na +1, Ca/MG +2 type stuff.
4. I had 1 or 2 questions regarding opiate conversions and it including a table with the specific ones in question.
5. A few, usually with something else to calculate like "how much of XYZ is added qs to make a 10% w/v solution." RXPrep calculations covered pretty much anything and everything that was on my test.
6. I did not have anything. But it did mention that "for this problem 1 oz=30ml at least once."

Only thing I left the exam confused/annoyed about was problems involving CrCl because they never give you an exact formula to use in terms of what the PT's weight is. I followed what RXPrep said but the answers never exactly maxed what they should. Maybe my calculator game was off *Shrug*

Scared its 48 hours after....took my test on saturday. Do they post some time in the afternoon. ...so much anxiety

So, unofficially (if the rumors abt registration status and Naplex clickable bar color changes are true) I have passed....but nontheless the waiting is excruciating.

1. Both. Most were fill in the blanks for me but off the top of my head I had a CrCl that was MC and some other word problems that involved calculations were MC (ex. which strength/quantity of xyz antibiotic suspension is appropriate to fill this RX).
2. Both I had more generics than brands I would say. If anything I had brand names more often for drugs that you only see generic (ex. Lotensin for benazepril) and generic names for newer currently branded products (ex. Saphris/Latuda/etc)
3. I honestly forget, i barely had any mEq calcs and no mOSm that I remember. Generally your only going to see basic electrolytes that you should already know the valence for K/Na +1, Ca/MG +2 type stuff.
4. I had 1 or 2 questions regarding opiate conversions and it including a table with the specific ones in question.
5. A few, usually with something else to calculate like "how much of XYZ is added qs to make a 10% w/v solution." RXPrep calculations covered pretty much anything and everything that was on my test.
6. I did not have anything. But it did mention that "for this problem 1 oz=30ml at least once."

Only thing I left the exam confused/annoyed about was problems involving CrCl because they never give you an exact formula to use in terms of what the PT's weight is. I followed what RXPrep said but the answers never exactly maxed what they should. Maybe my calculator game was off *Shrug*
Hi there
So if they give me a crcl problem should i always use IBW if they didnt mention anything ?
Thanks in advance :)

Yeah....I don't feel good. Crazy hard questions. From all topics. And a freaking slew of sharpie pens that were not working right. I had to ask for a new pen 4 times before I finally got one that worked. The questions were for the most part ridiculously hard and obsure. I think maybe I got 20 questions max were I looked at it and was like...yeah I know the answer right away. That was one of the worse experiences I have ever had. If I have to do this exam again....I don't know what to say. I think I would rather get hit by a truck. There was one point where I was getting ridiculously hard questions and part of my brain was silently screaming "WHAT the %$#@!!!!! So now I wait. Did I get harder and harder questions because I was getting a lot right or am I just stupid and didn't manage to get any of this info during the last six years of school/rotations/working and the last month of studying like crazy?

Someone talk me down off the ledge....please.

Read what I wrote in http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/my-naplex-experience-2014.1095512/

I completely agree with your post. I took it today too and those pens SUCK!!!!!! haha, let me know when you get your score, what state?