Tool belt to carry reflex hammer, stethoscope, etc?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

enterthepanda

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

So I'm a girl on Neuro, and I find that carrying everything in my white coat pockets gives me a sore back, neck, and chest at the end of the day. I was wondering if any of you guys have tried (or know of anyone who has tried) using a tool belt to carry all this stuff? Did it work or well? Or do you just end up looking like a tool (haha)? And if you say no to the tool belt, any other tips for carrying stuff without killing your body?

Thanks for your thoughts!

Members don't see this ad.

What in the world? No. Just no. Don't try to be batman.

A stethoscope, reflex hammer, and pen light is too much to carry all at once?

Reactions: 5 users
Products2572-1200x800-241683.jpg

Just don't mix up what's in which pocket or you'll end up pulling your gun instead of your tuning fork.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You're funny. :)

I feel your pain OP. I always feel lopsided when I keep everything in my white coat pockets and it makes my shoulders and back hurt. I would carry your stethoscope around your neck, put the reflex hammer and anything else semi-heavy in your pants pocket, and just carry light things (pen light, small book, notepad, etc) in the white coat. I was planning to carry around a tablet in my coat pockets but just decided to stick with a smartphone because of the weight/bulkiness.

I carry the bare minimum and leave everything else in my bookbag

I think a bandolier is the way to go.
IMG_8725.jpg

Reactions: 4 users
Cargo pants. There are cargo pant scrubs that will stay up, even on hipless, flat bottomed guys. I love them.

Reactions: 1 user
Just... grab a pre-med volunteer and have them carry the **** for you. Because we ALL know how much pre-meds want to HELP PEOPLE. Problem Solved.

Reactions: 7 users
LOL honestly, I feel your pain OP. I wish I could weigh my white coat because it probably weighs 5 lbs. I usually try to unload the big things when I get a chance to sit down (stethescope, ipad, patient papers/clipboard). That sort of helps.

I would *love* to see someone wear one of the above. PLUS you will give everyone on the team and the nurses around you a good laugh.

Members don't see this ad :)
Stethoscope around neck. Doubles as reflex hammer. Penlight in your pocket weighs nothing.

I always thought it would be pretty badass if ortho residents walked around the hospital wearing tool belts with all their OR equipment...

You can do what a lot of neurologists do--carry a small doctor's bag. I just used my coat and only carried what I needed. If you have more than one pocketbook, get rid of all but one, and if you can, get rid of that one as well. Carrying the stethoscope around your neck also helps as others mentioned above. (Though I don't think that's the "neurology way" to carry a stethoscope).

I have no problem keeping it in the white coat. maybe stitch another set of pockets on the inside if they aren't already there. Keep the flat stuff on the inside and tools on the outside. I even have my tuning fork on board (comes in handy for the diabetics with advanced neuropathy). Stethoscope stays IN the pocket as well.

No need to go BatDork.

I still wanna know what kind of equipment Neuro carries that is so heavy that it gives her a "sore back, neck, and chest at the end of every day." Are they strapping an EMG machine to her or something?

3 Tesla MRI.

Reactions: 1 users
Is this inpatient or outpatient? If it's outpatient, I would think these things are available in each exam room. I would hope you're not planning on carrying your own speculums with you for OB/GYN???

The picture is funny. I don't understand the connection between me not having a problem with wearing a fanny pack, especially if working in the ED or in anesthesia. Perhaps I should have clarified. You don't wear a fanny in rads; that's too bad. Still, the pic is great.

Stethoscope around neck. Doubles as reflex hammer. Penlight in your pocket weighs nothing.

If you have good percussion skills, you can even omit the hammer. The neurosurgeons at my institution all percuss tendons for reflexes if there aren't any hammers around.

Hey guys,

So I'm a girl on Neuro, and I find that carrying everything in my white coat pockets gives me a sore back, neck, and chest at the end of the day. I was wondering if any of you guys have tried (or know of anyone who has tried) using a tool belt to carry all this stuff? Did it work or well? Or do you just end up looking like a tool (haha)? And if you say no to the tool belt, any other tips for carrying stuff without killing your body?

I think a lot of the neurology residents where I went to medical school carried messenger-type bags.

Having already started to develop some neck pain during my surgical residency that probably started in medical school with wearing a whitecoat that was too heavy... I encourage you to explore options other than keeping that stuff in your pockets.

Whether it is keeping a fanny pack, carrying a messenger bag, wearing cowboy boots, or having a funny stuffed animal on your stethoscope (all of which I have seen ridiculed), if it is different, you'll get crap for it. Keep it functional and low-profile, and if you have fashion sense (I do not), then being stylish probably helps.

I have no problem keeping it in the white coat. maybe stitch another set of pockets on the inside if they aren't already there. Keep the flat stuff on the inside and tools on the outside. I even have my tuning fork on board (comes in handy for the diabetics with advanced neuropathy). Stethoscope stays IN the pocket as well.

No need to go BatDork.

People still carry tuning forks? I just drop the beat and ask if they feel the bass.
But I only have stethoscope, note 8.0 and round report. The minutiae of items include pen, light and scissors.
Real question is where to put my cup holder for coffee

Reactions: 1 users
Hey guys,

I am 2 years late to this question but in case anyone is wondering how to carry your gear, I have seen a few examples. I'm a practicing pediatrician. I needed a way during med school rotations and residency to carry the tools so they stay attached to me (I used to forget and leave some of these things in the rooms when I went on to the next patient) and won't cause back pain. There is someone on Etsy who makes tool belts for different types of jobs, including medicine. I sew so I made my own version. It looks like a cross body purse when closed with multiple pockets inside specific to my tools. I would encourage medical students and residents to find a bag that works for you if having more tools available would be helpful to you. You are more efficient when you don't have to leave the exam room in the middle of a visit to get something or on rotations and find the exam room doesn't have something you need.
Tools that really helped me to have in the exam rooms during rotations, residency and many I still use in practice. Some I now keep in my exam rooms, but others are helpful to have with me if I get called to the ER, newborn nursery, etc.:
1) Mini iPad-there are lots of visual aids from websites like the American Academy of Pediatrics, CDC, American Academy of Allergy and Immunology that help me explain diseases like asthma, eczema, diabetes, concussions, etc. I've had better compliance from my patients in taking their meds, understanding the reason for returning for a follow-up appointment, etc.
2) Mini Pinwheels-this works pretty well for toddlers who don't understand taking a deep breath during the exam
3) Good quality reflex hammer
3) Funny attachment for my ophthalmoscope and otoscope when examining little ones eyes and ears
6) tape measure to document size of lesions, rashes
7) Bionix lighted ear speculums for cleaning out kids ears
8) Note paper to write down info or recommended web sites for patients
9) Scoliometer
10) my cheat sheets or visual aids
11) my cell phone with medical apps
12) a play stethoscope for kids
13) Suture scissors
I've attached a photo of the bag I made. It is 7 1/2 inches wide x 9 inches height x 3 1/2 inches depth. The first picture is opened to show the different pockets. The second is when it's closed. I found medical tool belts on Etsy, but not many other locations online that were specific for medical tools or didn't cost a lot.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 122
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    154.5 KB · Views: 103
Reactions: 2 users