Top 10 Disease States/Topics to know for NAPLEX?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AlbusChutney

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all - I failed my NAPLEX the first time taking it (72) - and am retaking it in 15 days! I was an idiot the first time, and thought that I could work all the way up until 4 days before taking my NAPLEX last time around. I know, I know, It wasn't the best decision - and I was dumb for doing it that way, but we all hit speed-bumps in our life, and I've passed the MPJE, and am just now anxiously awaiting now to finally take down this monster.

I've just finished going through RXPrep a second full time, and have been focusing a lot more on calculations, non-sterile/sterile, & biostats this time. I missed a lot of easy questions in those areas, and am putting a HUGE emphasis on that material this time.

So, with 15 days to go, and currently taking a study break - I thought I'd come to the Good Ole SDN, and pose a question for you all:

What would you say are the TOP 10 TOPICS to know in preparing for the NAPLEX?

From my previous NAPLEX attempt, and how I'm preparing this time....I'd list them in this order;

1. Calculations
2. ID
3. Anticoagulation
4. BioStats
5. Immunizations
6. Diabetes
7. Drug Use in Pregnancy & Lactation
8. Non-Sterile/Sterile
9. Oncology
10. Common Skin Disorders

I'm curious to hear what you all think....

Members don't see this ad.

1. ID
2. Oncology
3. HIV (Prophylaxis)
4. BioStats
5. Math
6. Critical Care
7. Asthma
8. ADHD
9. Anticoagulation
10. Antidote

the ID chapters in the 2016 book are overwhelming. i read two of the four and everything just started to jumble together

Members don't see this ad :)
ID chapters, I would focus what is on the chart... like know your Gram + cluster/cocci, Gram - = what type of bacteria...know your CAP and HAP 1st line and second line tx. Prophylaxis of PCP, MAC, toxo.... from the chart. I would just know basic 1st and 2nd line each dx state for ID. Don't go into detail.

Reactions: 1 user
ID chapters, I would focus what is on the chart... like know your Gram + cluster/cocci, Gram - = what type of bacteria...know your CAP and HAP 1st line and second line tx. Prophylaxis of PCP, MAC, toxo.... from the chart. I would just know basic 1st and 2nd line each dx state for ID. Don't go into detail.
Thanks for the advice!