Top 10 Medical Schools Graduating Blacks, Native American, Hispanics, and Asians

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctaJay

bone breaker
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Did you ever wonder what medical schools have a long record of graduating URM physicians? Well below is a list of URM doctors graduated from 1950-2004:

Top Ten U.S. Allopathic Medical Schools Graduating Black U.S. Physicians
Howard= 3,335 physicians
Meharry= 2,771 physicians
University of Illinois= 713 physicians
Wayne State= 678 physicians
Temple= 553 physicians
North Carolina= 525 physicians
University of Michigan(this # will probably stay stagnant)= 506 physicians
Harvard= 491 physicians
SUNY-Downstate=473 physicians
UMDNJ-New Jersey Medical= 467 physicians

Top Ten U.S. Allopathic Medical Schools Graduating Native American U.S. Physicians
Oklahoma= 186 physicians
Minnesota-Twin Cities= 96 physicians
North Dakota= 88 physicians
University of Washington= 81 physicians
Hawaii= 64 physicians
UCSF= 58 physicians
North Carolina= 50 physicians
New Mexico= 45 physicians
University of Wisconsin= 44
Colorado= 43 physicians

Top Ten U.S. Allopathic Medical Schools Graduating Hispanic/Latino U.S. Physicians
Puerto Rico= 4,211 physicians
Caribe= 1,257 physicians
Ponce= 1,019 physicians
University of Illinois= 674 physicians
UT San Antonio= 646 physicians
UCLA= 596 physicians
Miami= 590 physicians
UT Galveston= 570 physicians
UT Houston= 441 physicians
Top 10 Medical Schools for Hispanics Another Source

Top Ten U.S. Allopathic Medical Schools Graduating Asian U.S. Physicians
Hawaii= 1,166 physicians
UCLA= 1,147 physicians
Northwestern= 1,113 physicians
University of Illinois= 1,075 physicians
UCSF= 962 physicians
Loma Linda= 947 physicians
New York Medical=917 physicians
Southern California-Keck= 842 physicians
New York University= 822 physicians
SUNY-Downstate= 790 physicians

Members don't see this ad.

Just curious, where is this list from...and is it possible to post the schools with the lowest numbers also.

Members don't see this ad :)
Good look guys!!! I did not think that Harvard would be in the top 10 for graduating blacks. We learn something new everyday.

Those numbers are great to see, thanks for posting that link! I was wondering if the same information is out there for D.O. schools-- aamc?? suggestions on where to find it?

it seems to me that if you are asian, black, or hispanic that you have a good chance if you apply to the university of illinois.

it seems to me that if you are asian, black, or hispanic that you have a good chance if you apply to the university of illinois.

meaning??? in state or out of state? could you please clarify?

oh. I was just basing that off of the fact that the university of illinois appears in 3 of the 4 lists above. Not really sure about in state or out of state, and I just realized that the university of illinois has like 3 different parts (UIUC, SIU, and UIC)

I just want to point out that this list is going to be skewed for several reasons. One of the most obvious is that those schools that didn't recruit URM students in the first few decades of your survey won't have graduated very many. But that doesn't mean their current URM students aren't successfully finishing. This brings me to the other thing you may not have considered, which is that nearly everyone who gets into med school graduates. It's not like college or grad school where a large percentage of students flunk out or drop out. I'm not sure what the exact attrition is at American med schools, but it's very low. So if you matriculate and work hard, you have an extremely high likelihood of finishing your degree no matter which med school you attend. I think every school in the country has some sort of office of minority affairs to support URM students. In general, when you are in med school, the school will do everything possible to ensure that you complete the program. So I would advise you all to consider applying to other schools besides just the ten listed here as "best" for graduating members of your particular ethnicity. Use the MSAR to find schools that are good matches for you personally in terms of mission, GPA/MCAT, and state of residency. Best of luck to you all. :)

Reactions: 1 user
oh. I was just basing that off of the fact that the university of illinois appears in 3 of the 4 lists above. Not really sure about in state or out of state, and I just realized that the university of illinois has like 3 different parts (UIUC, SIU, and UIC)

If you mean parts as in campuses, then the University of Illinois has four different campuses: UIC, UICU, Peoria and Rockford--SIU isn't one of the campuses for the University of Illinois. Only saying this if you mean the different campus and apologies if you mean something else.

The following list was given in the Journal of Blacks in Higher Education:
(this is an excerpt from an email sent to me from a contact at a medical school)

"The Medical Schools That Turn Out the Most Black Doctors
In 2006 there were 1,122 black medical school graduates. There were 46 U.S. medical schools that graduated at least 10 black doctors. There were 65 black graduates at the Howard University School of Medicine in 2006, the most black graduates of any U.S. school of medicine. Meharry Medical College was second with 51 black graduates.

Among the predominantly white medical schools, Temple University led the way with 29 black graduates in 2006. The medical schools at Wayne State University, the University of Michigan, Louisiana State University, the University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey, Indiana University, Ohio State University, and the University of Illinois all had at least 20 black graduates.

Among the 10 highest-ranked medical schools, Johns Hopkins University, the University of California at San Francisco, Washington University, Stanford University, and the University of Washington all had fewer than 10 black graduates.

These numbers are the result of an ongoing effort to create a more diverse community within the School of Medicine. While there is much more to be accomplished we need to take pride in the progress we have made.

American Medical Schools with the Most Black Graduates, 2006
Source: AAMC

Howard University 65
Meharry Medical College 51
Temple University 29
University of Michigan 27
Wayne State University 27
Morehouse SOM 25
Louisiana State University 25
Univ. of Med. and Dent. NJ 22 (Piscataway)
Indiana University 21
Ohio State University 20
University of Illinois 20"

Members don't see this ad :)
I know this thread is several years old, but is there an updated list of this? Or is it basically the same stats for these schools

'Top Ten U.S. Allopathic Medical Schools Graduating Native American U.S. Physicians
Oklahoma= 186 physicians
Hawaii= 64 physicians
UCSF= 58 physicians
Colorado= 43 physicians"

Minnesota, UND, OK, and Washington specifically have programs devoted to Native Americans and their recruitment. UNM considers Natives who are enrolled in tribes that are around UNM to be in state, and they have a special post-bacc program with pretty low standards for admission.

This question is for people either in medical school or who have MDs. Does it matter what percentage of students are urm at medical schools? I went to a very small liberal arts institution where I was the only black American in my class who was premed. There were other ethnicities - Latin, asian, west Indian, and from Africa- but I was the only black American. While of course there was some racial tension on campus like all schools, is that the case in medical school?

What are the pros/cons of attending an non hbcu with a greater urm population than a non hbcu with a slim urm population? And what is the role of diversity/minority offices on med school campuses. Yes, they are there for support, but what kind of support do students need? I'm in the process of selecting schools on my amcas application, so I value any insight that could be shed on this. Thanks!!

I just want to point out that this list is going to be skewed for several reasons. One of the most obvious is that those schools that didn't recruit URM students in the first few decades of your survey won't have graduated very many. But that doesn't mean their current URM students aren't successfully finishing. This brings me to the other thing you may not have considered, which is that nearly everyone who gets into med school graduates. It's not like college or grad school where a large percentage of students flunk out or drop out. I'm not sure what the exact attrition is at American med schools, but it's very low. So if you matriculate and work hard, you have an extremely high likelihood of finishing your degree no matter which med school you attend. I think every school in the country has some sort of office of minority affairs to support URM students. In general, when you are in med school, the school will do everything possible to ensure that you complete the program. So I would advise you all to consider applying to other schools besides just the ten listed here as "best" for graduating members of your particular ethnicity. Use the MSAR to find schools that are good matches for you personally in terms of mission, GPA/MCAT, and state of residency. Best of luck to you all. :)

It's reasonable to infer that schools most adept at supporting URM are those that have an established history of accepting and graduating them. It's not about just getting accepted and graduating. There's a big cultural difference between schools that seek to fill a quota and schools that hold diversity as a core value and understand why it's important to have URM physicians. So, this list is basically my bread and butter.

URM doctors graduated from 1950-2004

"One of the most obvious is that those schools that didn't recruit URM students in the first few decades of your survey won't have graduated very many. " :bored::bang:

"I would advise you all to consider applying to other schools besides just the ten listed here as "best" for graduating members of your particular ethnicity."

Yes because black people were denied admission into basically any and all institutions of higher education.. much less medical schools in the 1950s. This fact and the underlying prejudices have lasting implications for current students.

Please be more sensitive in this forum. This should be a safe space for URMs to discuss and share information which is what was happening.

Last edited:
URM doctors graduated from 1950-2004

"One of the most obvious is that those schools that didn't recruit URM students in the first few decades of your survey won't have graduated very many. " :bored::bang:

"I would advise you all to consider applying to other schools besides just the ten listed here as "best" for graduating members of your particular ethnicity."

Yes because black people were denied admission into basically any and all institutions of higher education.. much less medical schools in the 1950s. This fact and the underlying prejudices have lasting implications for current students.

Please be more sensitive in this forum. This should be a safe space for URMs to discuss and share information which is what was happening.
I'm not sure why you're replying to me a decade after the fact, but it's ok; now having gone though the entire medical training process myself, I still stand by my conclusions from ten years ago. I am currently faculty at a school that is not a HBCU. Part of the problem we face with recruiting URM and disadvantaged students is overcoming biases such as this, where students from such backgrounds believe that because many universities did not want minority or disadvantaged students in the Jim Crow era, that must mean that we still don't want them now. This is most assuredly *not* the case.

I would be the last person to argue that our society is currently a utopia for the minority and disadvantaged among us. But there is no doubt that things have changed greatly in that respect over the last 50 years, and for the better. I would continue to advise all URM applicants to broaden their apps beyond just the handful of schools that have historically targeted them. Particularly speaking of the schools here in Florida, I would have no reservations to advising URMs who are residents of this state, especially if also disadvantaged/first in family to attend college, to consider applying to any and all of them.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm not sure why you're replying to me a decade after the fact, but it's ok; now having gone though the entire medical training process myself, I still stand by my conclusions from ten years ago. I am currently faculty at a school that is not a HBCU. Part of the problem we face with recruiting URM and disadvantaged students is overcoming biases such as this, where students from such backgrounds believe that because many universities did not want minority or disadvantaged students in the Jim Crow era, that must mean that we still don't want them now. This is most assuredly *not* the case.

I would be the last person to argue that our society is currently a utopia for the minority and disadvantaged among us. But there is no doubt that things have changed greatly in that respect over the last 50 years, and for the better. I would continue to advise all URM applicants to broaden their apps beyond just the handful of schools that have historically targeted them. Particularly speaking of the schools here in Florida, I would have no reservations to advising URMs who are residents of this state, especially if also disadvantaged/first in family to attend college, to consider applying to any and all of them.
Please take me, I'd be happy to attend.

URM - Native American

Let me get this right, you think the limiting factor in turning out more urm physicians is the bias of historically UNDERREPRESENTED minority applicants in their school choices....?

10,570 white students matriculated between 2015 - 1016 according to AAMC. 1,349 black students matriculated, 1,320 hispanic students matriculated. You think these VAST differences could be impacted by applicants applying more broadly?? ....... You think urms have a bias???

https://www.aamc.org/download/321478/data/factstablea11.pdf

The most important point I made earlier, which you seemed to have overlooked, is that it's not just about being "recruited" or admitted. The culture of the institution makes the difference for URMS matriculating medical school. Going to a school that seeks to fill a diversity quota is vastly different from a school that sees the importance of URMS physicians for patients and the quality and effectiveness of US healthcare overall.

URM applicants should consider schools that have historically accepted and graduated urms as most adept at supporting them.

• Love
Let me get this right, you think the limiting factor in turning out more urm physicians is the bias of historically UNDERREPRESENTED minority applicants in their school choices....?
No, I think that URM applicants should apply to any schools they wish, as opposed to limiting themselves to a predetermined list like the one given in this thread. I make the same argument all the time to the nontrads, many of whom want to be given a list of which med schools "want" nontrads. The answer to that question is that ALL med schools want qualified nontrads. Likewise, ALL med schools want qualified URMs. There is no medical school in the country that does not appreciate the value of diversity in its student body.

You think urms have a bias???
I think all humans "have a bias." It is part of our inherent nature. As a species, we are prone to passionately "know what just ain't so." And again, my concern is that future URM applicants could see a list like this one and get the impression that they would not be welcomed at other schools that are not on the list, which is not the case.

The most important point I made earlier, which you seemed to have overlooked, is that it's not just about being "recruited" or admitted. The culture of the institution makes the difference for URMS matriculating medical school. Going to a school that seeks to fill a diversity quota is vastly different from a school that sees the importance of URMS physicians for patients and the quality and effectiveness of US healthcare overall.

URM applicants should consider schools that have historically accepted and graduated urms as most adept at supporting them.
This is getting at a different issue. Arguing that URMs may feel more comfortable socially at a school that historically targets minorities is different than saying that other schools can't or won't support URM students. I don't mean to suggest that student preference for their social environment is irrelevant. Again, what I am objecting to is this knee-jerk idea that URMs should not be considering other medical schools because they won't be welcome or supported there.

I would also point out that while race or ethnicity can be a criterion considered by adcoms, quotas based on race are illegal (not to mention unethical).

No, I think that URM applicants should apply to any schools they wish, as opposed to limiting themselves to a predetermined list like the one given in this thread. I make the same argument all the time to the nontrads, many of whom want to be given a list of which med schools "want" nontrads. The answer to that question is that ALL med schools want qualified nontrads. Likewise, ALL med schools want qualified URMs. There is no medical school in the country that does not appreciate the value of diversity in its student body.

I think all humans "have a bias." It is part of our inherent nature. As a species, we are prone to passionately "know what just ain't so." And again, my concern is that future URM applicants could see a list like this one and get the impression that they would not be welcomed at other schools that are not on the list, which is not the case.

This is getting at a different issue. Arguing that URMs may feel more comfortable socially at a school that historically targets minorities is different than saying that other schools can't or won't support URM students. I don't mean to suggest that student preference for their social environment is irrelevant. Again, what I am objecting to is this knee-jerk idea that URMs should not be considering other medical schools because they won't be welcome or supported there.

I would also point out that while race or ethnicity can be a criterion considered by adcoms, quotas based on race are illegal (not to mention unethical).

Honestly, I don't think there was anything wrong with your original post. It's true, there are programs that have not made the list above, but they are still great at offering students of color the support that they need. If I were talking to a premed, I would give them the same advice that you gave, and I don't think it's problematic to do so.

Honestly, I don't think there was anything wrong with your original post. It's true, there are programs that have not made the list above, but they are still great at offering students of color the support that they need. If I were talking to a premed, I would give them the same advice that you gave, and I don't think it's problematic to do so.
do you mind updating your MD Apps to expand on your nontrad experiences?

Hhj
Did you ever wonder what medical schools have a long record of graduating URM physicians? Well below is a list of URM doctors graduated from 1950-2004:

Top Ten U.S. Allopathic Medical Schools Graduating Black U.S. Physicians
Howard= 3,335 physicians
Meharry= 2,771 physicians
University of Illinois= 713 physicians
Wayne State= 678 physicians
Temple= 553 physicians
North Carolina= 525 physicians
University of Michigan(this # will probably stay stagnant)= 506 physicians
Harvard= 491 physicians
SUNY-Downstate=473 physicians
UMDNJ-New Jersey Medical= 467 physicians

Top Ten U.S. Allopathic Medical Schools Graduating Native American U.S. Physicians
Oklahoma= 186 physicians
Hawaii= 64 physicians
UCSF= 58 physicians
Colorado= 43 physicians

Top Ten U.S. Allopathic Medical Schools Graduating Hispanic/Latino U.S. Physicians
Puerto Rico= 4,211 physicians
Caribe= 1,257 physicians
Ponce= 1,019 physicians
University of Illinois= 674 physicians
UT San Antonio= 646 physicians
UCLA= 596 physicians
Miami= 590 physicians
UT Galveston= 570 physicians
UT Houston= 441 physicians
Top 10 Medical Schools for Hispanics Another Source

Top Ten U.S. Allopathic Medical Schools Graduating Asian U.S. Physicians
Hawaii= 1,166 physicians
UCLA= 1,147 physicians
Northwestern= 1,113 physicians
University of Illinois= 1,075 physicians
UCSF= 962 physicians
Loma Linda= 947 physicians
New York Medical=917 physicians
Southern California-Keck= 842 physicians
New York University= 822 physicians
SUNY-Downstate= 790 physicians

Thanks for this post! It's such a great resource.