Top 30 schools vs. state school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CareRx

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What do you think can get more credit from a med school committee's point of view: Lower GPA from top 30 schools or higher GPA from a decent state school?

Members don't see this ad.

What's your MCAT?

Just kidding. Good GPA always favors a low GPA.

BUT...one director of admissions of an east coast medical school told me that they use a system based on the Barrons Guide To Colleges.

You know how Barrons rates colleges as far as admission as being NON COMPETITIVE, COMPETITIVE, VERY COMPETITIVE, MOST COMPETITIVE?

Well, the higher up on the list that you school is, the better.

Meaning...a 3.7 from a MOST COMPETITIVE school outweighs a 3.7 from a VERY COMPETITIVE school.

Exactly how far apart the GPAs can be and be considered "equal", I don't know. But, they do take school into consideration.

Here's what I looked for in a school:

* The best education for your money
* The most opportunities to develop extra curricularls and other experiences
* The school that you feel you will do best at
* The school that feels right
* The school that can expose me to the medical field and a good number of medical schools

There is no trick to getting into medical school, but there is a bit of a game involved in it.

Good luck.

I think all this top 30 schools and top 50 medical schools is a bunch of hogwash.. You can't simply say a medical school is the best because it is the most selective or it gets more money.. I mean there are some really important factors that need to be considered other than that? Do you feel good about the place? Do the faculty really care about your performance? Are they going to force you to do things you don't want to do? Is the area enjoyable? How many years am I going to be paying the huge frigging loan off.