Top D.O. schools in the country

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
PCOM is in the outskirts of Philadelphia bordering a wealthy suburb and west Philadelphia.

By Philly standards, the area around PCOM is really nice. Philly is one of the most ghetto cities in America probably almost as bad as Detroit. So bad, I declined my interview offer over there. Great school, but I know for a fact I would never be a happy camper for four years of living in Philly. AZCOM might not be as good as PCOM but you are a DO anyway so it really doesn't matter anyway, you're a DO.

Just because the school is good does not mean its good for the student, there are so many stories of miserable students who put up with a school's super reputation forgoing other factors.

I knew a girl who went to my top 4 Ivy League school and was so miserable she attempted suicide her first year, she withdrew and transferred somewhere near home and was more successful.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
By Philly standards, the area around PCOM is really nice. Philly is one of the most ghetto cities in America probably almost as bad as Detroit. So bad, I declined my interview offer over there. Great school, but I know for a fact I would never be a happy camper for four years of living in Philly. AZCOM might not be as good as PCOM but you are a DO anyway so it really doesn't matter anyway, you're a DO.

Just because the school is good does not mean its good for the student, there are so many stories of miserable students who put up with a school's super reputation forgoing other factors.

I knew a girl who went to my top 4 Ivy League school and was so miserable she attempted suicide her first year, she withdrew and transferred somewhere near home and was more successful.

I'm a student at PCOM. Philly has alot of bad areas but plenty of good areas to. Mainline Philadelphia is very nice. Philadelphia has a very nice downtown and great history also. It's actually fairly nice here. Where PCOM isnt bad at all. There is a cool town called manayunk close by. Plenty of bars/restaurants and what/not. You should have come and checked it out. It's actually nice here. I'm sure azcom is great also!

As a city Philadelphia actually has alot going for it. Northern liberties/fishtown/ucity/manayunk/chesnut hill all nice city areas around downtown. Downtown is huge and historical. Camden and west Philadelphia is rough though. South philly is hit/miss. Nice suburbs in the mainline also.

Last edited:
I'm a student at PCOM. Philly has alot of bad areas but plenty of good areas to. Mainline Philadelphia is very wealthy. Philadelphia has a very nice downtown and great history also. It's actually fairly nice here. Where PCOM isnt bad at all. There is a cool town called manayunk close by. Plenty of bars/restaurants and what/not. You should have come and checked it out. It's actually nice here. I'm sure azcom is great also!

As a city Philadelphia actually has alot going for it. Northern liberties/fishtown/ucity/manayunk/chesnut hill all nice city areas around downtown. Downtown is huge and historical. Camden and west Philadelphia is rough though. South philly is hit/miss. Nice suburbs in the mainline also.

I have seen Philly, the city itself is rough, I think only Detroit is worse, the suburbs are affluent and pleasant. When I was applying to medical school, I was aiming to move to the Western United States, was thinking of California but then interviewed at AZCOM, was impressed with what the school offered and went there, the surrounding area is safe and clean.

I grew up in Boston, where I was born, spent most of my years there, went to undergraduate school in New England, and decided I got sick of snow and cold weather. Boston itself is the best city on the Eastern seaboard by far, much safer than Philly and more livable than NYC, still the weather sucks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just curious. What are the best D.O. schools in the country? I would put PCOM and Rowan medical school in top 5. Any opinions would be appreciated
tumblr_nsmxfqI3bd1qkko3bo1_400.gif

Reactions: 2 users
I have seen Philly, the city itself is rough, I think only Detroit is worse, the suburbs are affluent and pleasant. When I was applying to medical school, I was aiming to move to the Western United States, was thinking of California but then interviewed at AZCOM, was impressed with what the school offered and went there, the surrounding area is safe and clean.

I grew up in Boston, where I was born, spent most of my years there, went to undergraduate school in New England, and decided I got sick of snow and cold weather. Boston itself is the best city on the Eastern seaboard by far, much safer than Philly and more livable than NYC, still the weather sucks.

I feel safe here in Philadelphia. I don't think it's all that rough to be honest and its also fairly inexpensive considering all the city has to offer compared to other cities of this size.

I feel safe here in Philadelphia. I don't think it's all that rough to be honest and its also fairly inexpensive considering all the city has to offer compared to other cities of this size.

That is probably because you live in a good part of town, safety is matter of perspective, I know someone who lives outside of Detroit, one of the most dangerous US cities and feels totally safe, mostly because he lives in a nice community outside the city. Phoenix which is not far from me has quite a bit of gang activity but I would say its not even close to Philadelphia in terms of crime. The community surrounding AZCOM is mostly quiet suburbia.

That is probably because you live in a good part of town, safety is matter of perspective, I know someone who lives outside of Detroit, one of the most dangerous US cities and feels totally safe, mostly because he lives in a nice community outside the city. Phoenix which is not far from me has quite a bit of gang activity but I would say its not even close to Philadelphia in terms of crime. The community surrounding AZCOM is mostly quiet suburbia.

I think if you would've actually gone on your interview to PCOM you would be singing a different tune. PCOM is located in one of the nicest parts of Philadelphia. Sure Philadelphia has some rough areas, but unless you plan on picking up a hooker, I doubt you'd venture there. Temple Hospital is located in one of the worst areas of Philly, if they offered you an interview would you have declined also?

Reactions: 2 users

As with any city it depends where you are. PCOM is in a nice area on the border of the city and the suburbs. So I don't know why you would deny an interview because there are other areas of the city that aren't nice.

I heard that AZCOM is pretty nice, but its in close proximity to Mexico, which has horrible drug cartel problems.

You've been to Philly how many times?

Reactions: 1 users
Lol. He has seen philly I live here so I guess we will defer to him :p

My ex wife's sister went to grad school in Philadelphia and was held up at gun point in her apartment in broad daylight, and she lived in the better part of town, yeah its the city of dreams. I was surprised to learn that Philly itself is not the most dangerous place in the metro area, its Camden and Chester that are most dangerous cities in that region.

Yes I have visited the region once during high school, that was after 9-11.

Arizona does have some crime spillover from Mexico, but its not so bad in Phoenix, and there is a reason why Sheriff Joe Arpaio consistently gets reelected as Sheriff of Maricopa County, he is Tough. Arizona is not like California, which is a lot worse when it comes to violent gangs from South of the border.

Last edited:
yeah we should've built a wall on the border to stop the crips and the bloods from coming over and invading l.a... and last i heard arpaio doesn't run the phoenix police dept
man your ivy league education sounds as bad as trump's

Members don't see this ad :)
I think if you would've actually gone on your interview to PCOM you would be singing a different tune. PCOM is located in one of the nicest parts of Philadelphia. Sure Philadelphia has some rough areas, but unless you plan on picking up a hooker, I doubt you'd venture there. Temple Hospital is located in one of the worst areas of Philly, if they offered you an interview would you have declined also?

The area around temple is actually gentrifying. They are spending big bucks to make it nice.

South Philly and Northern Philly are straight up 3rd world.

My ex wife's sister went to grad school in Philadelphia and was held up at gun point in her apartment in broad daylight, and she lived in the better part of town, yeah its the city of dreams. I was surprised to learn that Philly itself is not the most dangerous place in the metro area, its Camden and Chester that are most dangerous cities in that region.

Yes I have visited the region once during high school, that was after 9-11.

Arizona does have some crime spillover from Mexico, but its not so bad in Phoenix, and there is a reason why Sheriff Joe Arpaio consistently gets reelected as Sheriff of Maricopa County, he is Tough. Arizona is not like California, which is a lot worse when it comes to violent gangs from South of the border.
As usual I can't tell if you are trolling or just that stupid.

As usual I can't tell if you are trolling or just that stupid.

Visit Philadelphia then get back to me. I am from Boston, comparing Boston to Philly, is like comparing Heaven to Hell.

Visit Philadelphia then get back to me. I am from Boston, comparing Boston to Philly, is like comparing Heaven to Hell.

Chicago=NYC>Philly>Pittsburgh>Boston (Never been to LA/SD/SF, but I figure they would be up around where Chicago and NYC are)

Nuff said.

Is never understanding sarcasm a requirement to get into med school these days?

The ones that are well established, have tertiary teaching hospitals, have a long history of graduates etc, have been open for more than 40 years, schools that operate more like MD schools than DO schools. The newer schools do not rank among these.

Some new schools have high ranked applicants despite being new schools, some of these schools are in prime locales, and hence they get good applicants. Its like my theory of real estate if you have a hut in a good locale, you will get buyers galore. If you open a DO school in an abandoned JC Penney or K Mart in Boston, that school will get applicants left and right and will easily become one of the most competitive DO schools nationwide overnight. It will be far more competitive than a school with a building designed by Eero Saarinen that is located in Bumfark Idaho.

You do know that DMU and other schools like Kansas send some of their students to Ohio's school for all of 3rd year and often 4th year? I've never understood why it gets passed over as a top school so often. Large university school, actually has way more affiliated residencies than students, all clinical rotations are at one hospital system with residencies (some more than others), other top schools use our clinical sites (DMU, kcom, etc). Opened branch with Cleveland Clinic. Has jointly accredited residencies with CCF and Case Western.

Most importantly I graduated from there.

You do know that DMU and other schools like Kansas send some of their students to Ohio's school for all of 3rd year and often 4th year? I've never understood why it gets passed over as a top school so often. Large university school, actually has way more affiliated residencies than students, all clinical rotations are at one hospital system with residencies (some more than others), other top schools use our clinical sites (DMU, kcom, etc). Opened branch with Cleveland Clinic. Has jointly accredited residencies with CCF and Case Western.

Most importantly I graduated from there.

There's no where else to put the students. They don't have 200-300 extra slots in the city because there's a lack of 1) teaching community hospitals 2) willing preceptors to take all the rest.

It's the one major major downfall of going to a DO program especially if you were expecting to stay in one area for 4 years and do your clerkships at a university program where you can conduct research and/or create connections with PD's in specialties you were wanting to apply for.

There's no where else to put the students. They don't have 200-300 extra slots in the city because there's a lack of 1) teaching community hospitals 2) willing preceptors to take all the rest.

It's the one major major downfall of going to a DO program especially if you were expecting to stay in one area for 4 years and do your clerkships at a university program where you can conduct research and/or create connections with PD's in specialties you were wanting to apply for.

I guess my rebuttal would be that a top school should provide those things for its students. Granted you won't stay on the undergrad campus (for most students) and get to continue research utilizing the Athens campus, but instead you can go to a hospital system for 3rd and 4th year, stay there, and schmooze the PD. That is the benefit of going to Ohio or MSU, and PCOM before they lost their hospital. I certainly think DMU is a great school and their students were almost universally excellent, just never understood why OUHCOM gets ignored so often.

I will say, I hate that it's now Ohio University Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine. Sounds cheap, but I guess if you Donate 100 million you can name it whatever you want. I graduated 2 years too late, plus there is never room to write out that monstrosity when applying for licenses, jobs, etc.

I guess my rebuttal would be that a top school should provide those things for its students. Granted you won't stay on the undergrad campus (for most students) and get to continue research utilizing the Athens campus, but instead you can go to a hospital system for 3rd and 4th year, stay there, and schmooze the PD. That is the benefit of going to Ohio or MSU, and PCOM before they lost their hospital. I certainly think DMU is a great school and their students were almost universally excellent, just never understood why OUHCOM gets ignored so often.

No I would say OUHCOM is def at the top in terms of "rank", especially with the new cleveland campus having such a small class size. I just most

My close friend goes to OUHCOM and I myself wanted to attend but did not want to stay for 5 years.

I would say OSU, TCOM are solid for having their own teaching hospitals.

KCU is usually considered to be up there because we CAN rotate at the main hospital for the MD school here in KC (KU Med Center) as well as rotate at Children's Mercy which is a solid hospital for peds.

Rowan som has one of the strongest opti's. It should be up there too. I guess people forget that this school was previously umdnj

Can any PCOM students comment on how the students are? I was told by a student that everyone's a major gunner and there isn't as much cooperativity as there can be among students

Heres a crazy idea....go to any DO school..study non-stop, get good grades, know your ****, and score really well on boards, then proceed to get into the field of your choice.

Every class has 25-30 (ish) or more people who go into "competitive" fields. Work insanely hard and be one of them...doesn't matter if you're at ACOM or insert best DO school here.

I will say, I hate that it's now Ohio University Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine. Sounds cheap, but I guess if you Donate 100 million you can name it whatever you want. I graduated 2 years too late, plus there is never room to write out that monstrosity when applying for licenses, jobs, etc.

What is the big deal of having Heritage in the name of your school, its not like your school was one located on top of a 99 cents store in some seedy part of town, now I would have a serious problem with forking over 300k for that.

TCOM grads have had that problem for 40 years. Nobody writes "University of North Texas Health Science Center at Fort Worth - Texas College of Osteopathic Medicine." Many places, including the Texas Medical Board, routinely chop off the TCOM part when they list TCOM grads.

Can any PCOM students comment on how the students are? I was told by a student that everyone's a major gunner and there isn't as much cooperativity as there can be among students
PCOM student here. Couldn't be further from the truth. The class helps each other to an insane degree. Haven't met a single gunner.

Heres a crazy idea....go to any DO school..study non-stop, get good grades, know your ****, and score really well on boards, then proceed to get into the field of your choice.

Every class has 25-30 (ish) or more people who go into "competitive" fields. Work insanely hard and be one of them...doesn't matter if you're at ACOM or insert best DO school here.

This. Because what DO school you went to isn't going to make all that much of a difference in the eyes of an allo program. If there will be any problem, it will be the DO thing... not which school you got that DO thing from. Those places that 'discriminate' (hate that word used in this sense, but whatever) will not be all picky and choosy about what DO school you went to. And those programs that are cool with DO's will likely not care much either.

Top DO school? The one that will leave you in the least amount of debt. Not too much of a difference otherwise. I know folks like to think otherwise, but it's a harmless way to make one feel better about things, I guess.

Anyhow, this thread... "Top DO school"... the title alone makes me feel the way this guy feels about Bud's hat:

PCOM student here. Couldn't be further from the truth. The class helps each other to an insane degree. Haven't met a single gunner.
what year are you? I spoke to a 1st year. He seemed friendly with everyone and like a really cool person. But on the DL he warned me outside surface interactions, everyone's cut throat, gunners, and will stab you in the back (much like @Seth Joo says around here). Also spoke about a lot of MD rejects there who just complain 24/7 about having to learn OMM. While this happens at every school they said its particularly prominent here since its a 'top tier' DO school and gets MD caliber students.

what year are you? I spoke to a 1st year. He seemed friendly with everyone and like a really cool person. But on the DL he warned me outside surface interactions, everyone's cut throat, gunners, and will stab you in the back (much like @Seth Joo says around here). Also spoke about a lot of MD rejects there who just complain 24/7 about having to learn OMM. While this happens at every school they said its particularly prominent here since its a 'top tier' DO school and gets MD caliber students.

Does this make a top tier DO school?

I go to Touro..our avg MCAT this year is 31 and 3.6 gpa. I'd estimate 30% of our class is from berkeley, UCSD, stanford, an ivy, or holds a PhD. We have very smart people in the class..(as well as some I'm still not sure how they made it here, but thats another story)...yet no one seems to think TouroCA is top-tier.

Tiers are meaningless. DO is DO is DO in the eyes of ACGME programs. Do well in school, learn your stuff, and you'll get where you want to be. Not directing this comment at you specifically, just saying this because people seem to be obsessing about these stupid DO tiers and how they are decided (class averages, clinicals, etc.)...

1st year. Join Pcom class of 2019 facebook group (its private but they let everyone in) you will see see how much people help each other out! I have not met anyone who is cut throat or a gunner. Second years and third years I talk to all have had a similar experience. I'm actually overwhelmed by how helpful people are.

Also people seem to like OMM. Lab is a fun 1:30 a week. It's fairly easy. Lectures are easy. You don't have to go (tegrity) and just cram before the test. It's not a big deal.

Also they put together a lot of social stuff. First PEP is coming up on Friday (post examine party)

The school is honestly amazing. I love it here.

As far as recognition goes we seam to do be a fairly known quantity to local institutions. We get people into Jeff and Pennsylvania hospital for example. Might be advantageous going here to get into those places versus other schools but that is just a guess. We also have lots of good residencies which can be found on our website. Lots of hospitals have had experience with our graduates being that we are so old. I think that's a good thing and the upperclassman seem to think that also.

Last edited:

I am glad you realize this truth, people say a lot of bull**** about how their classmates look out for each other and are nice people, on the outside people in medical school will be nice to your face but once your out of sight or earshot watch out because they will begin to say how they really feel about you and the words will not be kind. Its not like undergrad where you found real lifetime friends, true friends who stood up for you in good and bad times. You should be very wary about how you project yourself to others, your political beliefs, your religious views, views on sexuality, etc, you do not want to share these things with people in school unless you want to make enemies. I am not broadcasting to my classmates that I support Trump for President for example.

Wait... PCOM lost its hospital?

Wut...

I am glad you realize this truth, people say a lot of bull**** about how their classmates look out for each other and are nice people, on the outside people in medical school will be nice to your face but once your out of sight or earshot watch out because they will begin to say how they really feel about you and the words will not be kind. Its not like undergrad where you found real lifetime friends, true friends who stood up for you in good and bad times. You should be very wary about how you project yourself to others, your political beliefs, your religious views, views on sexuality, etc, you do not want to share these things with people in school unless you want to make enemies. I am not broadcasting to my classmates that I support Trump for President for example.

I mean if you're broadcasting to anyone outside of bumble**** nowhere that you support Trump, then generally you'll make enemies especially if they're minorities (which medicine tends to have) So ya....
They used to have an on campus hospital. I know they still have a lot of affiliates around Pennsylvania.

http://articles.philly.com/2001-03-31/business/25327606_1_vacant-hospital-tenet-city-avenue-hospital

Oh okay this is really old news. Had me scared like they lost a lot of recent rotation spots around the city or something haha.

I go to Touro..our avg MCAT this year is 31 and 3.6 gpa. I'd estimate 30% of our class is from berkeley, UCSD, stanford, an ivy, or holds a PhD. We have very smart people in the class..(as well as some I'm still not sure how they made it here, but thats another story)...yet no one seems to think TouroCA is top-tier.

Tiers are meaningless. DO is DO is DO in the eyes of ACGME programs. Do well in school, learn your stuff, and you'll get where you want to be. Not directing this comment at you specifically, just saying this because people seem to be obsessing about these stupid DO tiers and how they are decided (class averages, clinicals, etc.)...
no that doesnt make it top tier but we can all agree its one of the best DO schools

I mean if you're broadcasting to anyone outside of bumble**** nowhere that you support Trump, then generally you'll make enemies especially if they're minorities (which medicine tends to have) So ya....

Oh okay this is really old news. Had me scared like they lost a lot of recent rotation spots around the city or something haha.
Lol, yeah it's so old it's been forgotten. Too bad it couldn't work out I'm pretty sure they were the only school with that setup.

No offense to Touro but entering class stats mean ****. It's because it's in California, where everyone wants to be. Has nothing to do with the caliber of the school.

Reactions: 1 users
My DO school has people from Stanford, Harvard, etc, as well, as many as a third of the class went to some big name school, had excellent grades and MCATs, but the fact remains that we are in a DO program, but at least our school has some class to give us good resources, a clean and safe campus, good clinical rotations, excellent student resources.

I went to a top 4 Ivy League school myself, honestly I thought I was going to become an MD but life had other plans. I am at least thankful that my school is a good program and offers good facilities and trains its students well.

Last edited:
No offense to Touro but entering class stats mean ****. It's because it's in California, where everyone wants to be. Has nothing to do with the caliber of the school.

I dont necessarily disagree with you. But for arguments sake... wouldn't the caliber of student be better in a class with an average mcat of 31 vs. an average mcat of ~26 (pikesville, etc)? Thus, wouldn't a school with a higher caliber of student be considered a higher caliber school? It's not like DO schools have world class teaching hospitals, famous faculty, etc. What is it that really puts them apart if it's not the students who are matriculating there?

I suppose you could make an argument for clinical sites..but c'mon..unless you have experience with all sites associated with each school, how can you make an honest assessment of what's good/bad?

That said, I agree, incoming stats of your school won't mean anything when it comes time for residency.

I dont necessarily disagree with you. But for arguments sake... wouldn't the caliber of student be better in a class with an average mcat of 31 vs. an average mcat of ~26 (pikesville, etc)? Thus, wouldn't a school with a higher caliber of student be considered a higher caliber school? It's not like DO schools have world class teaching hospitals, famous faculty, etc. What is it that really puts them apart if it's not the students who are matriculating there?

I suppose you could make an argument for clinical sites..but c'mon..unless you have experience with all sites associated with each school, how can you make an honest assessment of what's good/bad?

That said, I agree, incoming stats of your school won't mean anything when it comes time for residency.
wouldnt better stats students most likely lead to higher board scores since they should perform better?

Last edited:
wouldnt better stats students most likely lead to higher board scores?

I would think so. Isn't there a study that shows slight correlation between mcat score and board scores?

I don't believe many schools release their boards scores, do they? I don't know how we'd go about comparing specific schools..

I would think so. Isn't there a study that shows slight correlation between mcat score and board scores?

I don't believe many schools release their boards scores, do they? I don't know how we'd go about comparing specific schools..

This info is not mandated to be given out and NO school, MD or DO, seems to post it.

Posting pass rates for COMLEX are, at least, now mandated by COCA. My Class of 2017 is doing quite nicely, thank you. Our Dean will probably crow about it at the next AOA or AACOM meeting.

Source (last post):
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...-scoring-average-of-each-school.586991/page-4