About the ads

Top Pain Fellowship Programs

Discussion in 'Pain Medicine' started by charcot, Jun 8, 2004.

1. SDN is a nonprofit organization. Services are made possible through the generous support of SDN members and sponsors. Thank you.
  1. charcot

charcot Member

SDN 5+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    Can anyone name the top 10 pain management programs?
    Top 10 in the sense of best overall training, plenty of interventional training, good case mix, inpatient and outpatient experience, didactics/board prep?

I've heard UC Davis, MGH, Texas southwestern, U CHicago and Duke.
  2. joshmir

joshmir Senior Member

Attending Physician
    SDN 10+ Year Member
    I think the previous poster was confusing UT Southwestern with the Texas Tech-Lubbock program, and MGH with BID.

When I looked into this, I concluded that outside the Texas Tech Interventional Pain Fellowship in Lubbock (with Pritvee Raj, et al, who I hear are now leaving, retiring), the best pain programs were UPenn and Beth Isreal-Deaconess (BID), one of Harvard's hospitals. I was told this from academic Pain attendings.

I can speak a bit about BID's program; the fellowship is incredibly popular among their residents (there was a scutwork review written recently iunder the 'fellowships' section). They have gotten away from chronic management, and defer the PCAs and pharmacological management to other services to concentrate more on intervention. Rumor has it on these message boards that people are pulling in seven figures in nevada after this fellowship, mostly implanting epidural pumps. Also, they take at least one PM&R resident a year, which allows the rest of the residents to expand on their anesthesia background. They present a lot at national meetings.

I would love to hear from current pain fellows about what they think makes a good fellowship, and whether they think it's better to go to a fellowship with a name vs going to a fellowship in a place you want to practice. Thanks!
  3. UTSouthwestern

UTSouthwestern 1K Member Moderator Emeritus

SDN 7+ Year Member
    Texas Tech is definitely the top pain program with Raj and Racz on board. Our program, however, took Leland Lou from Tech (he was #3 behind Raj and Racz) and are set to hire away more of the Tech faculty. Raj and Racz are set to retire soon as well.

The implantable pumps are certainly the high end in pain procedures at this time but be aware that neurosurgeons are becoming increasingly competitive in this field in an effort to expand their role in chronic pain management.

The money is still very good in the field, but as with all good things, the specter of medicare crack downs are looming.
  4. ether

ether Junior Member

SDN 7+ Year Member
    From what I've heard as top programs were:

Texas Tech
    UCLA
    BID
    BWH
    Cleveland Clinic

Let me know if u heard of others.
  5. lakerjock

lakerjock Junior Member

SDN 7+ Year Member
    I've heard BID is the best pain program on the East Coast.
  6. charcot

charcot Member

SDN 5+ Year Member
    If BI is the best pain program in the East coast, Texas- Lubbuck is best in the midwest, how about pain fellowships on the west coast? Ive heard UCLA? Any others? I've heard UCSF is very academic and requires 2 years commitment, to include time for research.
  7. IsoGirl2707

IsoGirl2707 Member

SDN 7+ Year Member
    Does anyone know anything about good pain programs in the Southeast?

Thanks!
  8. Tollway

Tollway Member

SDN 7+ Year Member
    I hear UCSF can be painful

;)
  9. 2Deep

2Deep Junior Member

UCSF's pain fellowship is very interventional in nature and has moved away from writing scripts for pain patients. Recommendations are made, but the responsibility of regular narcotic prescriptions are the referring physicians'. Most of the recent fellows I have spoke with were extremely happy, and felt they were more than well-prepared after only 6 months of training. The schedule is great 8-5 M-F, infrequent home call. They also allow moonlighting, which is a great way to supplement your income as a fellow. All the fellows I know are anesthesia trained however, although there may be exceptions. The director, Palmela Palmer is wonderful and well known in academic pain circles. The majority of the faculty are also anesthesiologists, although there are a few neurologists I think. The primary training occurs in the clinic at the UCSF/Mt Zion Comprehesive Cancer Center. They have 2 dedicated fluoroscopy suites, and implanted pumps and stims are done in the OR. As mentioned before, motivated fellows have attended at the nearby Kaiser or at UCSF occasionally in their free time.
  10. charcot

charcot Member

SDN 5+ Year Member
    thanks 2deep for the info. Do you have any familiarity with stanford's pain program? Also, do you know how far in advance do people typically apply to UCSF and other top-rated programs?
  11. zoolander

zoolander Blue Steel

SDN 5+ Year Member
    Stanford pain svc was the ideal balance of clinic and procedures, IMO- one of my favorite med school rotations.

1-2 full, busy OR days/week, dedicated pain clinic, plus consults and AM inpt rounds. The head, Dr. Raymond Gaeta, is a very compassionate and collegial person (do you have to be, in pain?) as well as a good teacher. There were 3 or 4 fellows when I was there. It sounded like the ones that wanted to stay in academics definitely could (one got an offer to stay at Stanford) though many were looking forward to going into practice. All the fellows were from outside so it didn't sound like they only take local people. There's a large and accomplished anesthesia program, so residents are always rotating through- leads to more teaching.

Where I am now it sounds like the 'consultative medicine service' does a lot of the pain mgmt stuff that's done by the pain clinic at Stanford. Sounds like it's worth looking looking into the turf dynamics at a particular program.
  12. omarsaleh66

omarsaleh66 Senior Member

Attending Physician
    SDN 10+ Year Member

i had the opportunity to shadow dr. racz. did u know he is ranked in the top ten doctors in america? that's some crazy stuff!!!, anyways, he is a bad ass, he truly inspired me, it really sucks that he is retiring, but dr. racz, raj, and dr. kaye put texas tech on the map. People fly in from all over the world to lubbock for pain management.
  13. charcot

charcot Member

SDN 5+ Year Member
    Is it fair to say that UCSF provides mainly outpatient pain management training and Stanford's is mainly inpatient?

Also, I recently heard great things about Loma Linda. Any thoughts?
  14. ether

ether Junior Member

SDN 7+ Year Member
    Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone out there know where are the good pain programs to do a pain fellowship if one was interested, especially those that are very interventional??

I've heard of Beth-Israel Deaconess, Brigham and Womens, UCLA, and some program in Texas ?Galveston.

Any insight would be appreciated.
  15. jbp18460

jbp18460 Junior Member

SDN 7+ Year Member
    I know that Texas Tech in Lubbock had an excellent program a few years back. Both Dr. Raj and Dr Racz were on faculty there and both are world renowned. The last I had heard they were both retiring but even so, the program has a very good reputation. The issue at hand is the location.....Lubbock. ;) It definately would be worth looking into.
  16. algosdoc

algosdoc algosdoc

SDN 7+ Year Member
    My votes would go to three: Wake Forrest, Mayo Jacksonville, and Loma Linda. Wake has a long rep as being extremely active in research and academics in their pain program. Mayo Jacksonville has one of the few independent pain departments in the country and has excellent faculty. Loma Linda sends their fellows to external comprehensive cadaver courses every year.
  17. PainDr

PainDr

SDN 7+ Year Member
    I would agree with most of the above. The following list is based on my interviews and info from others on the interview trail.

Best Programs (in no particular order):
    B&W, BID, MGH, UCLA (both Anesth and PM&R), UCSF, Texas Tech, Mayo Jacksonville, Cleveland Clinic, MD Anderson, Wake Forrest, Columbia, Cornell.

Very Good Programs (in no particular order):
    Emory (Anesth), UT Southwestern, UT Houston, Einstein, UC Davis, West Virginia.

These are just my opinions. I'm sure I've left out some excellant programs so feel free to add to the list. :D
  18. NEPain

NEPain Attending

SDN 7+ Year Member
    I've followed this discussion with interest. I finished my fellowship in pain medicine recently and am now faculty at Dartmouth. I would be interested in knowing what people have heard about the fellowship at Dartmouth.
    I have no interest other than to gain insight into our reputation so as to improve any perceived deficiencies and make sure the good things continue.

Would also like to know what potential applicants are looking for when choosing a fellowship.
  19. Epidural

Epidural Pain Moderator Administrator SDN Senior Moderator Lifetime Donor

Attending Physician
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    When I was applying and asked around, I heard good things about the Dartmouth program. The problem was that even being in New England, I had a hard time getting information about the program. I imagine that those applying from others areas might have an even more difficult time.

What I've heard is:
    1. Overall, you will get the opportunity to do lots of procedures (including pumps and stims).
    2. Fellows are not overworked.
    3. Attendings are a pleasure to work with.
    4. Multidiscplinary training is not as good as other programs.
    5. For those intersted, not as much research going on, but program is generally very supportive of potential projects.
    6. Good opportunities in Pediatric Pain Management.

When I applied, many of the applicants were concerned with the following:
    1. How many pumps and stims will I get to do and will I feel comfortable doing them after fellowship?
    2. How many fellows are there and what's the call like? Home call or overnight? Are the fellows happy?
    3. What are the people like? Will it be a miserable year?
    4. What kind of reputation does this program have and will this be an asset when looking for a job? Are faculty members connected to the Pain community as a whole?
    5. What opportunities do I have to get exposure to other facets of Pain Medicine that will be covered on the boards and in clinical practice (EMGs, MRIs, MSK medicine, etc.). If it's not a part of the fellowship program, how many electives are there and are these other specialties open to having us?
    6. Is there support to attend conferences such as ASRA, ISIS, NASS, etc.
    7. How many c-arms does the clinic have and how are things set up for the fellows. Are there separate days for seeing patients and doing procedures or are they mixed in throughout the day?
    8. Besides the clinic, what will my other responsiblities be? Are we covering perioperative patients and managing their PCAs/epidurals or is this covered by the Anesthesia residents?
    9. Are there opportunities to do newer procedures such as vertebroplasty, IDET, percutaneous discectomy, peripheral nerve stimulators, etc.
  20. NEPain

NEPain Attending

SDN 7+ Year Member
    Thanks for your response. I think those are accurate impressions of our program. Having been here only one year, my impression is that it's a very good fellowship but it could be a really top fellowship. I'd like to try to help move it in that direction.

That's a pretty good list of what to look for in a fellowship. I'd add one more: How is the continuity of care? I think it's really important to see a new patient and then be involved in any management and followup. Otherwise one gets no feedback on how patients do. Fellowships often lack this.

I found it very difficult to get information about fellowships and their reputations when I was applying. The ASRA site was helpful but I never felt I got a handle on the quality of the different fellowships. Sometimes a program has a famous name but a poor pain fellowship. Even now, when we recruit faculty, I can't tell much by where they did fellowship training, other than a few obvious standout places.
  21. M

M New Member

The market for interventional pain docs in Nevada is very good no matter where you trained. If you want do learn how to do these pumps, it's not clear to me that BID is still doing them.

I heard their pump program was suspended after a programming error but maybe they started implanting again. The program has a great reputation but I still see many more people pick B&W or MGH over BID. MGH also takes people outside of Anesthesia on a consistent basis.

Fellowship is only one year and I think how good of a pain doc you are will also depend on your own personal motivation to learn after you finish. While going to a name program doesn't necessarily make you more skilled, it's hard to deny the fact that more doors are opened.
  22. algosdoc

algosdoc algosdoc

SDN 7+ Year Member
    Correct regarding BID. My partner was a fellow there at the time and acquired zero pump skills from that program and no intradiscal skills as they do not permit intradiscal incursion at that program.
  23. chinochulo

chinochulo Member

SDN 10+ Year Member
    As far as interventional procedures are concerned, I would take Columbia and Cornell off that best program list. Maybe start a listing for average programs?