Topic for "Biggest Obstacle/Adversity" Secondary

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rahul0774

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that there has been a lot of activity concerning this topic lately, so I thought I would throw my hat into the ring. I am president of a fairly sizable premedical organization on my campus (~100 members). Over the past semester, we, as an executive board, have been mulling over the idea of proposing some amendments to our Constitution. The organization was become a little too stale, and the members far too nonchalant. I wanted to inspire a greater sense of accountability on the part of each individual member. We did in fact propose said amendments and were met with a lot of backlash. Everyone took things too personally, and it was hard to decipher real concerns from petty sqaubles. Nonetheless, we persevered, and I have learned a lot from the experience. The right choice is not always the popular choice. Would this be an okay topic? If not, do you have any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

Is that really the biggest obstacle/adversity you've overcome?

Must be nice

i would advise against it. disagreements with colleagues and making unpopular choices is somewhat of a given when working professionally. not to say that it isn't a good learning opportunity, but it's not much of an adversity.

my suggestion: sit down and come up with a list of times in your life that were particularly difficult/challenging. write them all down, and think about each carefully. this question is tricky, but it really just requires taking the time to self-reflect and brainstorm before you even open a word doc

Persevered as in successfully passed the amendments? I think to be an obstacle, you have to have successfully overcome it. While I agree that it is not the largest obstacle in the realm of things, some people have been fortunate to have relatively adversity-free lives. If you don't trump it up to be "OMG my life is so hard no one understands what I went through," and instead focus on the measures you employed to overcome this challenge, it could work.

However, the more I think about it, the more this sounds like a "what is the harshest feedback you have ever received?" essay.