Topscore PAT Questions on Test 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2th Doc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
1.jpg

CORRECT ANSWER : A

I now see how I could've eliminated B because of the slanted side on the bottom of the small block coming out of the right of the big block, but the problem I have is with the round cylinder coming out. To me, it doesn't seem like it extends flush to the point of the triangle, but rather passes it, which would make it look like a rectangle tip instead of like the front end of an aluminum boat. What do you think?

3.jpg

CORRECT ANSWER: E

I even pulled out my daughter's blocks for this one and still came up with 9? Maybe I'm totally brain fried.

4.jpg

CORRECT ANSWER : C

So to me, it doesn't look like this is an equilateral triangle. In the answers, it looks like 2 long sides and 1 short, but in the pattern given it looks like 2 short and one long. I made an actual piece of paper like this, but it was equilateral and I was able to come up with B and C. If you fold both sides into the screen, why can't it be B?

Members don't see this ad.

3.jpg

CORRECT ANSWER: E

I even pulled out my daughter's blocks for this one and still came up with 9? Maybe I'm totally brain fried.

Well, maybe your forgetting the bottom cube on the 4th row (from left to right) 3st column (front to back)?

Members don't see this ad :)

columns labeled 1-5 from left to right
rows labeled 1-3 from front to back
levels labeled from the bottom up

1. 1st column, 1st row, 1st level
2. 2nd column, 1st row, 1st level
3. 2nd column, 2nd row, 1st level
4. 3rd column, 2nd row, 1st level
5. 4th column, 1st row, 1st level
6. 4th column, 2nd row, 2nd level
7. 4th column, 3rd row, 1st level
8. 4th column, 3rd row, 2nd level
9. 5th column, 1st row, 1st level
10. 5th column, 2nd row, 2nd level

edit: fyi the single block in the 3rd column attaches to the 4th column block in the 2nd row, not the very back 3rd row. That may be where you're losing a block.

4th column, 3rd row, 1st level has cubes on the front, left, and top faces, and it's bottom is on the floor so that only leaves two sides left uncovered facing the back right corner... no?

4th column, 3rd row, 1st level has cubes on the front, left, and top faces, and it's bottom is on the floor so that only leaves two sides left uncovered facing the back right corner... no?

nope. that one does NOT have a cube to its left.

i don't get the pattern folding one...

This might be hard to explain in words but lets give it a shot...

Look at the shaded area...now when u fold the pattern inside the page, the shaded area of rectangle 1 - numbering the rectangles from left to right, should be touching the edge of the triangular face attached to rectangle 3...

Hope this helps..

nope. that one does NOT have a cube to its left.

It should, because what looks like the second row back on the left side (the single-story row in the back, where you can only see 1 and a half blocks) should actually be the 3rd row back, which means it bumps up against the lowest level of the far right 4-high column. If the 1 and a half blocks you can see were in fact the second row, then both of the rows closest to you visually would be in row 1, and you should be able to fit a block in the space between the 2nd and 3rd blocks from left to right. But, it's obvious that the space is narrower, which means the closest 3rd block from the left is actually one row in front of the closest 2nd block from the left. Does this make sense?

edit: just saw your edit:, but I don't see how the 3rd column block attaches to the 4th column block in the 2nd row (instead of 3rd) for the aforementioned reason of the narrow space between the 2nd column and 4th column forward-most blocks. Plus, if the 3rd column block attached at the 4th column 2nd row back, you would see the full face width on the top edge of the 3rd column block, but instead you only see about 1/2 the full block width.

Last edited: