Toronto Notes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Arb

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is Toronto Notes a good resource for Step II? Also, what are shelf exams?

Members don't see this ad.

I am using this book for my shelf exams.
would love to find out if Anyone used it for step2 and how they did on that exam.
- I would normally stick with proven books, but it seems much better than other step 2 books out there.

What are Toronto Notes?
It is about 1300pages review book on everything from IM to orthopedic surgery. made my university of toronto students/residents/stuff. updated yearly with evidence based.
The one thing I like about this book, is that it doesn't miss much, you will here some cool stuff from rounds and come home and find it in the book.
I can't recommend yet because I haven’t taken my step2 yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know if this is truly the best Step 2 resource?

I glanced through it, format's kinda confusing to me but in some aspects, it works too, so i dunno.

thanks for the feedback, so did you switch to FA or Step Up to Step 2 during board study?

Used it early 3rd year and a little for the shelf exams (except IM - used Step Up) - it's overkill personally, but if you have time ...

just have to ignore some canadian tidbits on there

yup overkill. I did not use it much. But good for learning medicine. Prob even good for residency.

You can buy it on Amazon. A google search will --> Results.

Anyone use this book during clerkship as a reference? Seems overkill for Step 2 but surprised at seeming to be pretty comprehensive with nice summaries, better than other review books if you are looking to get more insight.

just a reminder. it is a violation of the Terms of Service to use SDN to attempt to violate copyright laws.

You can legitimately buy this book even internationally. They seem to have it for anyone interested in buying it with a pretty extensive website with imaging, color atlas, ect.

Members don't see this ad :)
You can legitimately buy this book even internationally. They seem to have it for anyone interested in buying it with a pretty extensive website with imaging, color atlas, ect.

that's fine.

posts requesting the text via illegal means have been removed.

TORONTO NOTES or KAPLAN STEP 2 CK notes?

which one is better and doable?

using STEPUP TO MEDICINE for IM.

thanks.

TORONTO NOTES or KAPLAN STEP 2 CK notes?

which one is better and doable?

using STEPUP TO MEDICINE for IM.

thanks.

Good question. I'd like to know also. I am sure there is alot of overlap, but Isn't the Toronto Notes geared for Canadian med students to do their board exams, and Kaplan Notes more focused on the USMLE Step 2?

I am considering using DIT for Step3; could not afford it for step 2 because I ran out of student loan money. Maybe with residency money i can afford it. Question is; is it worth it to go back and study DIT material for step3?

I was wondering what the current consensus was on Toronto Notes. Thanks!
Not sure what the consensus is, bus I - european med student - found it great resource for clerkships.

What is good about Toronto notes (essential med notes):
+ comprehensive, it contains more info for IM than Stepup to Medicine. Other specialties are shorter, yet allmost as good as a textbook.
+ yet very short, it is easy to carry a chapter on rotations .

That said:
- they are slow to read, as they are stuffed with knowledge
- you have to supplement cases (abundant on rotation) and Qs to put the knowledge into perspective

overall: too detailed for a pre-USMLE review {unless you have time}, but excellent for rotations.

Reactions: 1 user
I had once looked my Canadian friend's Toronto Notes when I was prepping for Step 1, and I don't think I have ever come across a more circumlocutory and indecipherable text in my life. Even for basic conditions they managed to make things difficult to understand.

This is USMLE 2CK, not the MCCEE. I'd stay away from Toronto Notes.

Reactions: 1 user
Not sure what the consensus is, bus I - european med student - found it great resource for clerkships.

What is good about Toronto notes (essential med notes):
+ comprehensive, it contains more info for IM than Stepup to Medicine. Other specialties are shorter, yet allmost as good as a textbook.
+ yet very short, it is easy to carry a chapter on rotations .

That said:
- they are slow to read, as they are stuffed with knowledge
- you have to supplement cases (abundant on rotation) and Qs to put the knowledge into perspective

overall: too detailed for a pre-USMLE review {unless you have time}, but excellent for rotations.

could someone email me toronto notes? SMV8399 at gmail thanks in advance!

I had once looked my Canadian friend's Toronto Notes when I was prepping for Step 1, and I don't think I have ever come across a more circumlocutory and indecipherable text in my life. Even for basic conditions they managed to make things difficult to understand.

This is USMLE 2CK, not the MCCEE. I'd stay away from Toronto Notes.
I used on medical school for some rotations as a consult , you are right is extremely hard to understand (full of abbreviations ) . I have to disagree with you, is a good book.
But agree not good for step 2. Much better and specific focused books are available (MTB, Kaplan LN , stand up)

I used on medical school for some rotations as a consult , you are right is extremely hard to understand (full of abbreviations ) . I have to disagree with you, is a good book.
But agree not good for step 2. Much better and specific focused books are available (MTB, Kaplan LN , stand up)
Yeah as far as I can recall the Toronto notes sucked.