Touchy Subject?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

animalrie

TAMU c/o 2020!
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
In writing my secondary essays, one question concerns what sort of diverse background/experiences I could add to aid in the educational experience of others. I figured one that may set me *somewhat* apart from others is my varied academic interests. I'm in a program that has allowed me to take many courses unrelated to my Biology degree and I've focused a lot on animal studies type courses and classes relating to animal consciousness. In addition, I've also attended a conference on animal sentience in Washington D.C..

Now my question...I'd like to mention these courses I've taken and the conference with the argument that I've been able to meld my scientific learning with an interest in the humanities, which could potentially add diversity to the class (though I'm a biology major, I've taken more than 15 hours of non-required humanities courses relating to animal studies). I'm nervous about leaving a bad taste in the mouth of someone on the admissions committee who may have negative associations with "animal studies", perhaps associating the classes I'm taking (concerning animal consciousness, welfare, etc.) with a more radical viewpoint.

Don't know if I'm being neurotic of if this is a legit concern...I'd appreciate any feedback. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Stop being neurotic, it'll be fine unless you continue to sound so fidgety and neurotic while talking about it. There's nothing wrong with animal studies...

Reactions: 2 users
Okay it may just be how I'm phrasing it that's worrying me...just wanted to make sure it wasn't the subject itself.

Members don't see this ad :)
Okay it may just be how I'm phrasing it that's worrying me...just wanted to make sure it wasn't the subject itself.
I think that's true about anything. It really is how you present the material. The more touchy the subject is, the more risk there is. It can make you look very interesting and smart, or someone they throw into the round file because you sound incredibly awful.

Just have multiple objective people read your statement before submitting. That should include veterinarians and people who don't know you.

Reactions: 1 user
Animal Well-being is a very fast growing field of science, and is much better respected than it used to be. However, you've got to be confident when you're talking about it or else it will reinforce people thinking it's a "soft science".

It's a very real part of our job. In my opinion, if animal consciousness is a "touchy" subject for anyone, they're wrong. (After all, there's a mountain data backing it up).

On a side note: my interviewers brought up animal welfare/well-being as being a radical viewpoint and etc. I shut them down (politely) real quick. They sent out my acceptance letter the next day. :)

Reactions: 1 users
Animal welfare shouldn't be a touchy subject in the least. It tends to be the "animal rights" end of the spectrum that can raise a red flag. We've made a lot of progress with welfare though - particularly with advocates like Temple Grandin and Dr. Sophia Yin (RIP).

Reactions: 2 users