Tough Question. Need some solid Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

The Voyager

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, i've been battling depression for a long time now, and am finally starting to see the light, and am beginning to give a damn about myself again. 3rd year Biochem, premed track. Here's my history: Was caught cheating my sophmore year on an organic chemistry exam, got an F for that class. Repeated the class, earned a B. Was going through depression, didn't give too much of a sht about school at the time and earned a C in organic chem 2, as well as Cell biology. (Currenly a Junior in college), Finally starting gettin' my head out my @$$, and pulled B's in biochem 1, as well as Analytical Chemistry.
Where my GPA sits right now: c. 3.43, ~3.2 s. (probably less AMCAS wise for both)
MCAT I took it during summer of my freshman year and got a 35. Was a gunner' when i started college, began studying for MCATs fall of freshman year.
EC's: Been working as a lab tech in a microbiology lab in DC for the past 2 years. President of pre-med society, involved in other orgs on campus. Amateur boxer.
Here's the real dilemma i'm always depressed about: I can't go through my school's HPEC committee for a letter of rec since it's in the system I was caught cheating. They'd have to mention it in their letter of rec - yeah i'm a punk for not wanting that. Not entirely sure if it is possible to get that record expunged, but i'm sure as hell trying right now.
What do you all suggest for me to do next. Keep workin on that GPA, boost it up, go caribb, go DO, give up medicine, jump off a bridge (already tried, well really a cliff.) As of right now, i'm looking at going Caribb.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys, i've been battling depression for a long time now, and am finally starting to see the light, and am beginning to give a damn about myself again. 3rd year Biochem, premed track. Here's my history: Was caught cheating my sophmore year on an organic chemistry exam, got an F for that class. Repeated the class, earned a B. Was going through depression, didn't give too much of a sht about school at the time and earned a C in organic chem 2, as well as Cell biology. (Currenly a Junior in college), Finally starting gettin' my head out my @$$, and pulled B's in biochem 1, as well as Analytical Chemistry.
Where my GPA sits right now: c. 3.43, ~3.2 s. (probably less AMCAS wise for both)
MCAT I took it during summer of my freshman year and got a 35. Was a gunner' when i started college, began studying for MCATs fall of freshman year.
EC's: Been working as a lab tech in a microbiology lab in DC for the past 2 years. President of pre-med society, involved in other orgs on campus. Amateur boxer.
Here's the real dilemma i'm always depressed about: I can't go through my school's HPEC committee for a letter of rec since it's in the system I was caught cheating. They'd have to mention it in their letter of rec - yeah i'm a punk for not wanting that. Not entirely sure if it is possible to get that record expunged, but i'm sure as hell trying right now.
What do you all suggest for me to do next. Keep workin on that GPA, boost it up, go caribb, go DO, give up medicine, jump off a bridge (already tried, well really a cliff.) As of right now, i'm looking at going Caribb.
Good chance your F will have a note on the transcript that shows it was given for academic integrity violation, rather than just low scores. Even if you find a way to dodge your school committee that sinks you. If you get past that you have issues with a sGPA likely below 3.2 and an MCAT that I think will count as expired for many schools...obviously don't condone it but if you're going to try and hide the cheating, you first have to find out what your transcript looks like.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, don't go to the Caribbean.
Transcript doesnt have anything but that F, then a repeat for a B. Was not an institutional penalty, but a course penalty. Either way; yeah it's cheating, yeah it should be reported.

Transcript doesnt have anything but that F, then a repeat for a B. Was not an institutional penalty, but a course penalty. Either way; yeah it's cheating, yeah it should be reported.
Are you sure? The transcripts you view in a student web portal may not include it, while an official sealed transcript might.

If you can actually just lie and say you missed the final or something, your next issue is figuring out if you need to retake the MCAT. If not, then go DO >> Carib.

Are you sure? The transcripts you view in a student web portal may not include it, while an official sealed transcript might.

If you can actually just lie and say you missed the final or something, your next issue is figuring out if you need to retake the MCAT. If not, then go DO >> Carib.
Yea i'm sure. Read the student guidelines for this inside out; if the professors had outlined my academic misconduct as egregious, an Institutional level penalty would've been enforced, at my school this entails' probationary transcript notation, permanent transcript notation, suspension, or exuplsion. I read their report, wasn't egregious. They didn't request the institutional judiciary committee to get involved. Also I realize the MCAT thing. I've been taking practice tests, studied up for the new one. Predicting at least a 514. But ain't gonna know what I can get till i take it.

Sorry about your woes, but your medical career is over.

Oh, I assumed you knew that they say it must be reported, but were planning to try and hide it.

Getting into med school there is easy, it's matching for residency afterwards that's the problem
I was being sarcastic

Members don't see this ad :)
I can't weigh in with any more expertise than the people you've heard from. I just want to give you props for taking this all like a champ. You never see that in cheating violation posts.

Reactions: 2 users
If you can't get a letter of rec from your committee because of cheating, then it will be hard to get into a medical school period. Sure you can go and ask individual professors, but if your school has a committee and you don't use it, it raises red flags.

Also, how the hell did you pull off a 35 MCAT freshman year then resort to cheating in organic chem 1 the following year? Shouldn't it have been easy?

If you can't get a letter of rec from your committee because of cheating, then it will be hard to get into a medical school period. Sure you can go and ask individual professors, but if your school has a committee and you don't use it, it raises red flags.

Also, how the hell did you pull off a 35 MCAT freshman year then resort to cheating in organic chem 1 the following year? Shouldn't it have been easy?
I was helping someone else cheat, and yeah they got the F, too. Happened to be my roommate. One of my buddies (not my roommate) pulled a 38. Hardcore studying for 3 semesters.

how the hell did you pull off a 35 MCAT freshman year then resort to cheating in organic chem 1 the following year?
Yeah, does seem odd to have the work ethic and brains for a top 4% MCAT followed by C grades in classes on the same/similar material

I was helping someone else cheat, and yeah they got the F, too.
Ouch

How does a freshman even have the prerequisite knowledge to take the MCAT and do that well?

I can't weigh in with any more expertise than the people you've heard from. I just want to give you props for taking this all like a champ. You never see that in cheating violation posts.
Thanks, bud. I've passed the phases of hating myself, attempting to kill myself, and just overall shutting myself out from society. A few disheartening posts on a thread seeking advice ain't gonna kill me, especially now. I need help making a game plan.

Yeah, does seem odd to have the work ethic and brains for a top 4% MCAT followed by C grades in classes on the same/similar material

Ouch
Pretty sure i ain't the first guy to pull a 35 as a freshman. The ocean's pretty damn big fellas.

Reactions: 1 user
How does a freshman even have the prerequisite knowledge to take the MCAT and do that well?

Background knowledge is pretty minimal, since the MCAT is all about reasoning and analysis. So someone who is a very strong test taker can destroy the MCAT after freshman year with reference to only review books and good practice.

Reactions: 1 users
Background knowledge is pretty minimal, since the MCAT is all about reasoning and analysis. So someone who is a very strong test taker can destroy the MCAT after freshman year with reference to only review books and good practice.
Lawper, I would really appreciate some advice boss. What do you think I should do

It doesn't seem that hard provided you took college courses in HS. I went from high 20s on practice tests to low 40s just doing practice tests in between, and I scored a 41 on the real deal.

Get a copy of your official sealed transcript and look at what it says. Once you open it, it's not "official", but then you'll at least know what you're up against.

I had an undergrad experience where I talked several friends out of cheating on an upper level course exam. It probably took a lot more effort than helping them cheat (we pulled several all nighters to help them cram), but it was worth it in the end because apparently someone told the prof that people in the class were planning to cheat. The prof came prepared with extra TAs, and there ended up being a few F's handed out..

Lawper, I would really appreciate some advice boss. What do you think I should do

I think you're a smart guy who fell victim to really bad circumstances. I feel that Goro was a bit too pessimistic about your chances, even though being caught cheating is a pretty significant red flag. Imo, I think it's better to at least focus on doing well on courses, graduate with good grades and not get into trouble. But I wouldn't focus much on medicine now.

Thanks, bud. I've passed the phases of hating myself, attempting to kill myself, and just overall shutting myself out from society. A few disheartening posts on a thread seeking advice ain't gonna kill me, especially now. I need help making a game plan.

Suppose medicine isn't for you and you want to do something else entirely. What would you do? It doesn't have to depend on your major.

In dead seriousness, a few years in the military or the Peace Corps will go a long way to making Adcoms ignore that F.

In dead seriousness, a few years in the military or the Peace Corps will go a long way to making Adcoms ignore that F.
Do you think an 'F' on an application at this point's going to toss my app out immediately? Ditto on the Peace Corps idea though, I think that'd be pretty fun. However, I was really considering SMP's... Do yall think I have a chance at gaining admission to an SMP somewhere, maybe Lake Erie's, or Loyola's, Temple's, etc.?

I think you're a smart guy who fell victim to really bad circumstances. I feel that Goro was a bit too pessimistic about your chances, even though being caught cheating is a pretty significant red flag. Imo, I think it's better to at least focus on doing well on courses, graduate with good grades and not get into trouble. But I wouldn't focus much on medicine now.

Suppose medicine isn't for you and you want to do something else entirely. What would you do? It doesn't have to depend on your major.
If not medicine, I'd go into computers. Spend the next 3 years doing comp sci, go into that field. It'd suck, but I think at this point, still being a 3rd year college student, i've got some more fight in me. 15 years from now, if i'm ever a doctor, i'm pretty sure i'll reflect back on this and realize it was worth it spending 1-2 years after I graduated to push myself to improve my app. What do you say?

Get a copy of your official sealed transcript and look at what it says. Once you open it, it's not "official", but then you'll at least know what you're up against.

I had an undergrad experience where I talked several friends out of cheating on an upper level course exam. It probably took a lot more effort than helping them cheat (we pulled several all nighters to help them cram), but it was worth it in the end because apparently someone told the prof that people in the class were planning to cheat. The prof came prepared with extra TAs, and there ended up being a few F's handed out..
Yeah i'm gonna do that. That's a damn good idea. However, I am 100% sure I do not have any sort of probationary notation, or permanent transcript notation on it aside from that solid 'F'. At my university, the only times probationary notations or permanent notations get handed out in addition to a solid 'F' is if the professors that filed the academic misconduct report filed as "egregious", which my academic misconduct was not, thankfully. My professors openly told me in my 1 on 2 meeting with them both that they won't consider it egregious, however obviously i'm a god damn idiot.

I do think that the issue that gyngyn brought up is an important one. Not mentioning it when prompted on AMCAS could derail your career entirely if the med school that accepted you / that you attend ever found out. So if you could make it beyond your lack of committee letter and GPS woes, you would have that to worry about. I don't see how they would, unless you went to a state school and people there knew. Or someone vindictive in your life. I would consider Goro's advice in pursuing something that shows growth and then admitting what happened and having that you told the truth on your side.

It's Not the F that's lethal, it's the cheating.

Do you think an 'F' on an application at this point's going to toss my app out immediately? Ditto on the Peace Corps idea though, I think that'd be pretty fun. However, I was really considering SMP's... Do yall think I have a chance at gaining admission to an SMP somewhere, maybe Lake Erie's, or Loyola's, Temple's, etc.?