Toughest question you've been asked on the interview trail so far?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WakeMedHeel

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I should've been prepared for this question but I wasn't...thought I gave a good answer anyway though.

Question: "If you weren't going to be a doctor what would you have become?"

Members don't see this ad.

I love that question. I just got the same one. Anyone think that its a bad idea to say I'd be playing piano in a bar. Sure hope not. :)

paisley05 said:
I love that question. I just got the same one. Anyone think that its a bad idea to say I'd be playing piano in a bar. Sure hope not. :)

I said I'd be a college basketball coach. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
WakeMedHeel said:
I said I'd be a college basketball coach. :)

Do you think it would be bad to say that you would be a pimp, playa, or hustla?

probablly continue to be an electrical engineer... kinda seems removed and unrelated to meds though.... :confused:

" Toughest question you've been asked on the interview trail so far?"

wellll... since i have not started res interviews, i had several interviews for electrical engineering. the toughest questions i guess were what happens with the interaction a capacitor and inductor combo on an rf ckt? if you were to adjust one or the other, what would happen? what about when they are equal?? can you tell me if you input a 1 to this ckt, what will be the output (diagram of several nand gates, or gates, not gates, etc...). what will be the approx voltage at the end of this circuit assuming the opamp is this.

i hadnt got too many actual ckt interviews, most of them were conducted by h.r. ppl who knew nothing about ckts. so they would ask, whats your name? what do you like about your name? do you know what you name means? and other stupid meaningless q's.... yay! :)

Toughest question I've had: "What reservations do you have about our program?"

Now sure, I felt pretty good that the heat wasn't in my direction, but how do you answer a PD on this one? The things I didn't like about the program were likely implemented by him, no? I felt trapped and fumbly (sure, not really a word, but...), and I'm sure I did not impress.

However, I have heard that the question, when asked in reverse by the applicant, can be very helpful. If the program gives an honest answer, you have a chance to address their concerns about your app.

jonahhelix said:
Toughest question I've had: "What reservations do you have about our program?"
However, I have heard that the question, when asked in reverse by the applicant, can be very helpful. If the program gives an honest answer, you have a chance to address their concerns about your app.

That's a great tip, thanks!

It has been said that when you're in these kind of situations you should answer the question that you wish you'd been asked rather than the question that you were actually asked.

For example, i'd probably twist the question about what reservations you had into an answer that highlighted what attracts you to the program. Try saying something like,

"That's a really tough question because there are just so many great aspects to your program. I really like the fact that your program has x,y, and z. etc."

That's how i'd field that question...

Has anyone heard of or been to a program that pimps interviewees on clinical stuff? I think it's an exceeding lame idea, however, i've heard that there are a few programs out there that may actually do this and I'd definitely appreciate the 'heads up' so that I can prepare myself mentally...

EMApplicant said:
Has anyone heard of or been to a program that pimps interviewees on clinical stuff? I think it's an exceeding lame idea, however, i've heard that there are a few programs out there that may actually do this and I'd definitely appreciate the 'heads up' so that I can prepare myself mentally...

well yea, that was what i was getting at with my post above. most of the engineering interviews were normal Q&A stuff, but a few were specific problem solving to test me type interviews... watch out... :eek:

cooldreams said:
well yea, that was what i was getting at with my post above. most of the engineering interviews were normal Q&A stuff, but a few were specific problem solving to test me type interviews... watch out... :eek:

i think that if a program pimps me while on the trail, i can confidently say that they will plummet on my rank order list.

My plan of attack has always been to take the offensive. I usually get things rolling with a strong pimping of the interviewer. I want them to know that I'm on to them, and that they are going to have to stay on their toes throughout our interview. I try to focus on areas outside of their speciality, ie, podiatry, dentistry, etc.

i interviewed at 12 places last year-the question list from EMRA.com was invaluable-check it out if it is still there. I never got any questions that really stumped me, they just want to know you. A few places far away asked me why I would want to go so far away and I was honest-that I am single and have no constraints, just want to train at a good place and live in a good city.

one program whipped out a 12 lead EKG and asked me to interpret it. As my blood pressure rose, I nailed the ekg and decided to not even rank the program. I thought this was rude and poor taste. I have spent four years with books in my face, passing exams and USMLE BS. Maybe it was a way to see how you would handle it, but I would advise any program not to do this as everyone I talked to was incredibly put off by it. I am just pissed that i wasted the time and money going there!!

Hang in there, enjoy the trail and best of luck!

EMApplicant said:
It has been said that when you're in these kind of situations you should answer the question that you wish you'd been asked rather than the question that you were actually asked.

For example, i'd probably twist the question about what reservations you had into an answer that highlighted what attracts you to the program. Try saying something like,

"That's a really tough question because there are just so many great aspects to your program. I really like the fact that your program has x,y, and z. etc."

That's how i'd field that question...

Brilliant, as usual, EMA! :) It's a tactic I've employed in the past, but I didn't see the question coming... deer in headlights just don't think so clearly! Now, I'm ready though... thanks!

EMApplicant said:
Has anyone heard of or been to a program that pimps interviewees on clinical stuff?

I posted this once before, earlier in the night, and it just disappeared - I can't find the post anywhere, and I didn't delete it. When I interviewed for the charter class at Tampa General, they pimped us.

the hardest question i was asked... (at a transitional spot interview)

have you ever disagreed with your attending on a decision regarding a patients care, if so, how did you resolve it?

i havent gone to any emergency interviews.

Uncle Rico said:
My plan of attack has always been to take the offensive. I usually get things rolling with a strong pimping of the interviewer. I want them to know that I'm on to them, and that they are going to have to stay on their toes throughout our interview. I try to focus on areas outside of their speciality, ie, podiatry, dentistry, etc.

Good Call... I think I will try this approach