Touro-CA vs AZCOM vs RVUCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DOMS

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just received an acceptance from Touro-CA (and the above listed schools) and of course I am very excited! However, Toura-CA has a two week deadline before requiring a decision and deposit, and I am very conflicted about which school to attend. I have read a couple other posts comparing two of the schools but most of them are not recent or the poster was from the area of one of the schools which is a personal benefit. I really need some help!

Some background: I am from and really want to stay in southern California (Los Angeles region). I want to go to a school with a supportive (as opposed to competitive) student body who are more likely to work together than screw each other over. I also want the option to watch lectures from home, and patient/standardized patient exposure during pre-clinical years. Of course high board scores and residencies in California are probably most important (but maybe residency placement is more based on the individual?). Here's what I've been comparing:

RVUCOM
Pros: LOVED the community feel here. The staff and students were SO nice and enthusiastic, they really seemed genuinely happy to be there. The curriculum seemed very conducive to board studying (it was integrative so they taught everything about a particular system at the same time) and the board scores were very high. Also class size was less than 150 and lectures are recorded. Basically, if this school was located in socal I wouldn't be posting this.

Cons: Don't know anyone in the Denver area, although it's a super awesome city. Also year-long curriculum, so barely a couple weeks of summer break after first year (I know this only impacts first year but burn-out is real and breaks are important). Also I was advised that this may be the least helpful choice if I want connections to southern California.

AZCOM
Pros: reputation, opportunity to rotate in LA 3rd year (!!!), mannequin patients to practice on, know some people in phoenix, only 5 hours from home, long summer break so can conduct research or do nothing, lots of california students and residency placements (that I can see, the date is kind of ambiguous recently)

Cons: Tests every monday, letter grade system, heard some iffy things about rotations, large class size (250), some classes shared with students from other programs so may include some unneeded information, highest tuition of the three

Touro-CA
Pros: in California, kind of close to some family and friends but not my main support systems, many residency placements in CA but mostly northern CA, high pass/pass/fail grading, block exams instead of weekly, students are younger and seem more cohesive

Cons: Haven't heard a lot of positives, interview day was mostly focused on their combined DO/MPH program and hardly any time was spent discussing the program (consequently don't know much about their rotations or curriculum in general despite asking many questions), location is not great and expensive, a student shouted out not to go there (but I think he was joking..?)

Any input would be really appreciated, again I only have two weeks and I don't feel any closer to deciding.

Members don't see this ad.

I can't give much insight on the other schools but I am a second year at RVU. I am very happy being here. My only complaint is that there isn't much research emphasis or funding. I got involved at the University of Colorado though just across town and there are many opportunities there. Also yes we had the highest board pass rate in the country and the second highest mean score. I know boards aren't everything but it is definitely a plus. I think our clinical rotation sites are pretty solid too - not necessarily amazing but good from what I hear.

Members don't see this ad :)
I can't give much insight on the other schools but I am a second year at RVU. I am very happy being here. My only complaint is that there isn't much research emphasis or funding. I got involved at the University of Colorado though just across town and there are many opportunities there. Also yes we had the highest board pass rate in the country and the second highest mean score. I know boards aren't everything but it is definitely a plus. I think our clinical rotation sites are pretty solid too - not necessarily amazing but good from what I hear.

Thank you for your insight! When I visited it seemed that all the students at RVU were very happy, I got a huge positive vibe. However, my ultimate goal is to end up in southern California and I was warned that it would be better to go to a school that has those socal connections. That being said I loved RVU so that's why I haven't ruled it out.

Heres a start:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/rvucom-vs-azcom.1101462/

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/azcom-vs-touro-ca.1103444/

Theres also a lot of good q/a in the school specific forums as well. In the end, every situation is different and you should choose what fit's you best. If you have any specific questions about AZCOM I'll try to chime in.

Thank you! I have looked at those and they were very helpful, I guess there really isn't a magic answer but I'm trying to research as much as possible before choosing. Do you go to AZCOM? Have you heard anything about the Los Angeles rotations and how often students match into southern california residencies? The only match lists I found were from pre-2012

Touro has a rotation site in Colton, CA where you spend years 3 and 4 and have a residency program for almost every field. It's a no brainer.

Touro has a rotation site in Colton, CA where you spend years 3 and 4 and have a residency program for almost every field. It's a no brainer.

If I'm remembering correctly one of the dean of admissions said that program is discontinuing unfortunately. I think they still have a connection with a hospital in Arrowhead though. Do you go to Touro or know someone there?

If I'm remembering correctly one of the dean of admissions said that program is discontinuing unfortunately. I think they still have a connection with a hospital in Arrowhead though. Do you go to Touro or know someone there?

I'm talking about Arrowhead in southern california. It's not discontinuing. Touro-CA dominates matching into the residencies at this hospital. You not only spend 2nd half of med school in socal, you also have a better shot at doing residency in socal.

I'm talking about Arrowhead in southern california. It's not discontinuing. Touro-CA dominates matching into the residencies at this hospital. You not only spend 2nd half of med school in socal, you also have a better shot at doing residency in socal.

My mistake, you're completely right. Another socal rotation was discontinued but I forgot which one. Thank you for the information!

My mistake, you're completely right. Another socal rotation was discontinued but I forgot which one. Thank you for the information!

so what school are you leaning towards now?

To me it's an easy choice for RVU. AZCOM is ok but expensive. CA in general is a hell hole, but even more so when it comes to the way they treat physicians. Yes I realize you're from CA, but you're asking for opinions and I'm voicing mine.

so what school are you leaning towards now?
To be honest, I'm between Touro and AZCOM but somehow leaning towards AZCOM predominately for the chance at the LA rotation 3rd year. The hospitals the students rotate in are mostly close to my hometown, whereas the Arrowhead hospital is a bit far. However, it seems like Touro is better for California rotations and I like that they have block exams and no letter grades. I really loved RVU though and wish it had established California rotations. So, to answer your question, AZCOM for now but that could change when I find out where I'll be rotating (which actually should be soon).

To me it's an easy choice for RVU. AZCOM is ok but expensive. CA in general is a hell hole, but even more so when it comes to the way they treat physicians. Yes I realize you're from CA, but you're asking for opinions and I'm voicing mine.

Oh jeez, I didn't know that about CA. All the doctors I shadowed/spoke with seemed very happy. Is that in regards to residencies in CA or physician work in general? RVU did seem like the happiest, I just wish it was closer to my support system!

Members don't see this ad :)
Honestly, I think location is my biggest factor. Touro is farther from LA than AZCOM, after interviewing at Touro- I hated the area and it is super expensive! It is a sketchy area. I am from AZ, I don't love phoenix because I like small towns, not big cities, but for me the area is much better than Vallejo/Mare Island. Its a no brainer in my opinion. But of course, its ultimately up to you! Cost of living will be one-third of that in Vallejo also

Sure vallejo sucks but living in berkeley or Richmond isn't terribly far from campus...plus you have access to the BART.

To be honest, I'm between Touro and AZCOM but somehow leaning towards AZCOM predominately for the chance at the LA rotation 3rd year. The hospitals the students rotate in are mostly close to my hometown, whereas the Arrowhead hospital is a bit far. However, it seems like Touro is better for California rotations and I like that they have block exams and no letter grades. I really loved RVU though and wish it had established California rotations. So, to answer your question, AZCOM for now but that could change when I find out where I'll be rotating (which actually should be soon).

The general opinion of the residents and attending physicians in SDN is to go to the cheapest decent school. Touro, RVU, and AZCOM are all decent schools with established match lists. So using that opinion alone, one would cancel out AZCOM due to high cost(58k per year tuition alone and close to 100k per year when you include additional fees and all living expenses).

I've visited AZCOM, have several friends currently attending AZCOM, and their opinion and mine is that it's a good school but it's not worth the sticker price. Plus the weekly tests are a hassle, my friends hate them.

Out of the three schools, you will have the most opportunity to do rotations through Touro CA. Not just because of Arrowhead but also because you will constantly be in CA which makes it a lot easier to arrange for away/audition rotations in CA. So for example, you can do your core rotations at Arrowhead and then arrange to do several away rotations at a hospital near your home in CA. You can also arrange to do away/audition rotations in CA as a RVU student as well. So if you're willing to be hours away from your family in another state for AZCOM, you shouldn't totally take out RVU from the picture as well.

If I were you, I would take the school with the cheapest tuition. Then I would arrange for several away/audition rotations in CA during my 4th year and possibly my 3rd year. Apart from that, I would just focus on achieving strong board scores and LORs to ensure that I match into a CA residency near my home.

Does WesternU not have a strong inlfuence at arrowhead?

Thank you for your reply! Do you think it's doable to set up third year rotations in southern california? The dean said that one student set up rotations in CA but he didn't provide much information on that. I asked my interviewers (who were so nice!) but they didn't know either.

The general opinion of the residents and attending physicians in SDN is to go to the cheapest decent school. Touro, RVU, and AZCOM are all decent schools with established match lists. So using that opinion alone, one would cancel out AZCOM due to high cost(58k per year tuition alone and close to 100k per year when you include additional fees and all living expenses).

I've visited AZCOM, have several friends currently attending AZCOM, and their opinion and mine is that it's a good school but it's not worth the sticker price. Plus the weekly tests are a hassle, my friends hate them.

Out of the three schools, you will have the most opportunity to do rotations through Touro CA. Not just because of Arrowhead but also because you will constantly be in CA which makes it a lot easier to arrange for away/audition rotations in CA. So for example, you can do your core rotations at Arrowhead and then arrange to do several away rotations at a hospital near your home in CA. You can also arrange to do away/audition rotations in CA as a RVU student as well. So if you're willing to be hours away from your family in another state for AZCOM, you shouldn't totally take out RVU from the picture as well.

If I were you, I would take the school with the cheapest tuition. Then I would arrange for several away/audition rotations in CA during my 4th year and possibly my 3rd year. Apart from that, I would just focus on achieving strong board scores and LORs to ensure that I match into a CA residency near my home.

Thank you that's very good advice :)

Thank you for your reply! Do you think it's doable to set up third year rotations in southern california? The dean said that one student set up rotations in CA but he didn't provide much information on that. I asked my interviewers (who were so nice!) but they didn't know either.

As far as RVU is concerned you can setup your own rotations anywhere in the country. I think the tricky part is actually doing it. People do it every year but it may help to have connections where you are trying to set things up - I would imagine it would be a lot of effort but definitely doable if you really want to.

Can it be assumed that Touro has clinical sites that aren't listed on their website? I didn't see Arrowhead for instance...

Are there others in socal?

Can it be assumed that Touro has clinical sites that aren't listed on their website? I didn't see Arrowhead for instance...

Are there others in socal?
I'm going off the information I wrote during the interview. For rotations I have written for socal:

Arrowhead Regional Medical Center
Marian Regional Medical Center (I have PC written next to this but can't remember what it stands for)
Chino Medical Center
Downey Regional Medical Center

Apparently about 100-135 students stay in the Bay Area and about 35 go to socal

I'm going off the information I wrote during the interview. For rotations I have written for socal:

Arrowhead Regional Medical Center
Marian Regional Medical Center (I have PC written next to this but can't remember what it stands for)
Chino Medical Center
Downey Regional Medical Center

Apparently about 100-135 students stay in the Bay Area and about 35 go to socal

Thanks for your info. Based on your understanding...if a student wanted to spend their entire 3rd and 4th years in socal, that would be entirely possible?