Touro - California (TUCOM-CA) Discussion Thread 2012 -2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JamesLMT

Accidentally Accepted
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
New Year, New Thread!!! Discuss Away!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I submitted my entire application a couple of weeks ago and I've been so anxious to find out! Does anybody know the stats of touro-ca MSMHS students?

I submitted my entire application a couple of weeks ago and I've been so anxious to find out! Does anybody know the stats of touro-ca MSMHS students?

How can you submit when AACOMAS doesn't allow you to submit until June? :confused: Are you talking about last year's cycle?

Members don't see this ad :)
How can you submit when AACOMAS doesn't allow you to submit until June? :confused: Are you talking about last year's cycle?

The MSMHS is the pipeline masters program that Touro offers in Harlem. All applications due June 1st.

The application must be requested though right?

I think he meant he submitted the MSMHS application for Fall 2012.

These are the master programs at each location.

• TouroCA - Master of Science in Medical Health Sciences

• TouroNV - Master of Science in Medical Health Sciences

• TouroNY - Master of Science Interdisciplinary Studies in Biological & Physical Sciences

Last edited:
Has anyone else applied? I just got waitlisted AHH this is really frustrating :( does anybody know what your chances of getting in if you're waitlisted?

I submitted my MSMHS application on May 3, 2012. I did not even get any information (decision) from TUCOM-CA which means the school rejected me??? Thanks!

I got waitlisted too today! Great. I wonder how many people are on the waitlist? This program should really have more then just 10 seats :(

I bet the chance is small considering there is only 10 seats in the program.

But how did you find out??? You got a e-mail from the school?

Waitlisted for MSMHS as well. I got the email around 1:30pm. From the thread in the postbac forum, maybe two-three were pulled from the list.

But how did you find out??? You got a e-mail from the school?

Did you get a complete email from Melanie? Still, you should probably call them.

I got my acceptance email yesterday afternoon! :) Now I'm just waiting for my paperwork packet so that I can reserve my seat. If anyone else has been accepted for the upcoming year, let me know! We could start a group on Facebook or new thread on SDN...

Members don't see this ad :)
I got my acceptance email yesterday afternoon! :) Now I'm just waiting for my paperwork packet so that I can reserve my seat. If anyone else has been accepted for the upcoming year, let me know! We could start a group on Facebook or new thread on SDN...

For the DO program or MS program? The DO program already has a facebook group and a thread on here...

Ugh, I've been waitlisted too for the CA com msmhs program :( I have no clue how many alternates they've designated in total

Just making a list for MSMHS Program

Accepted
rowbee
UCee2

Waitlisted
dj0607
sweetsugaxo15ox
jokerskilla
aprilgita
jaxxster
drofthuganomics
Melomare17
heyroth

Last edited:
congrats to zee accepted and good luck to all others waiting. Hey, maybe we'll get lucky and some peeps will decline acceptance. Is anyone in a situation (like myself) where they are waiting to forward their MCAT score or other contingency factor like unfinished spring grades?

I have also been accepted. Got my email Friday afternoon.

Hey all MSMHS'ers!

I am an alumni of the MSMHS class of 2012 (TUCOM-CA).

I suggest you start a facebook group, because I already had some people that were accepted contact me to ask me questions. I prefer to answer questions on there also.

Whoever makes the group first, paste the link here.

Best

In the meantime, here is a copy and paste of what I wrote to a person who wanted to know more:

First, if Touro University California is one of your first choices for med school, then I highly recommend this program. Your class will be our third class. So far the first two classes ('11, '12) everyone that applied to TUCOM got in. So we have a 100% acceptance rate into the medical school from this program so far. The first class there was 11 students. 10 applied, 10 got in. My class there was 11 students, 7 applied and got in, 2 have not taken their MCAT yet so they are taking it this summer and applying for the cycle after, 1 is applying to PhD, and one had to take a medical leave of absence.

The program prepares you really well for Med school. about 1/5 of your lectures are with the medical students, and the rest are just with your class. There is an anatomy course with full cadaver dissection that you take with the PA students that is intensive. Your professors teach the Med Students, and many are also on the admissions committee. The program is fairly rigorous and you will be working very hard. This program will allow you to strengthen any weaknesses had from undergrad.

The curriculum includes anatomy, biochemistry, molecular cell biology, physiology, pharmacology, microbiology, immunology, and research. If there was something I did not like about the program it was the lack of communication between the professors about certain classes.

I live in American Canyon, but you can also live in Vallejo or on the Island, and also Benicia is a nice place to live.

Again, I really recommend this program if you are planning to come to Touro university for medical school.I had a great time and it was a great opportunity for me.

Hopefully I gave you some useful information, good luck on your decision.

Thank you for the information. I was wondering if you knew how many people got off the waitlist last year.

Thank you for the information. I was wondering if you knew how many people got off the waitlist last year.

Surprisingly, more than half of our class was off the waitlist. I guess people got into medical school somewhere else and decided to not go to the Master's program.

There is hope for you waitlister's all the way up a few weeks before class begins.

Does anyone know when I should stop waiting to hear back as a waitlisted candidate?

Does anyone know when I should stop waiting to hear back as a waitlisted candidate?

Probably August 1st (Orientation Day). According to my friend who was waitlisted last year said they have standby alternates for that day.

I'm waitlisted too at TUCOM-CA

Last edited:
Don't let anyone tell you rotations at Touro aren't a train wreck.

Probably August 1st (Orientation Day). According to my friend who was waitlisted last year said they have standby alternates for that day.

+1, correct.

I would also recommend WesternU's MSMS program also if you guys wanted to stay or be in California, they have a linkage deal as well. I would not recommend the Touro NV MSMHS program because of the lack of that linkage. I also don't know what their acceptance rate is to their medical school, but I hear it is low. If anybody from the TUNCOM program could enlighten us on the stats, I would be happy to be corrected.

Waitlisted for MSMHS as well. I got the email around 1:30pm. From the thread in the postbac forum, maybe two-three were pulled from the list.

Did you get a complete email from Melanie? Still, you should probably call them.

I got an email from Steven. Are you applying to the Touro NY program?

Last edited:
+1, correct.

I would also recommend WesternU's MSMS program also if you guys wanted to stay or be in California, they have a linkage deal as well. I would not recommend the Touro NV MSMHS program because of the lack of that linkage. I also don't know what their acceptance rate is to their medical school, but I hear it is low. If anybody from the TUNCOM program could enlighten us on the stats, I would be happy to be corrected.

Yeah...there is no guarantee or anything (even an interview). Though there is rumor this is changing for next year. There is an entire few pages dedicated to how bad this program is (at Touro-NV), just search for it and you can check out what some of the students have said.

Yeah...there is no guarantee or anything (even an interview). Though there is rumor this is changing for next year. There is an entire few pages dedicated to how bad this program is (at Touro-NV), just search for it and you can check out what some of the students have said.

Oh my goodness, I just read the posts you were referring too. Their current class only has 1 acceptance... out of 30. I hope their administration changes something quick.

On a separate note, why are we talking about the MSMHS program here? This should be in the post-bacc forum where other people can contribute and/or learn. Can we get a mod to move this thread, or can we just migrate back towards the Post-Bacc forum?

Is there any way in which I can update my application? If so, how do I do it and who do I contact?

Thanks.

Waitlisted for MSMHS or DO?

I didn't apply to Touro-NY's masters program. It was too late for me.

Waitlisted at ther MSMHS program. Let's hope there is a lot of movement :)

Oh my goodness, I just read the posts you were referring too. Their current class only has 1 acceptance... out of 30. I hope their administration changes something quick.

On a separate note, why are we talking about the MSMHS program here? This should be in the post-bacc forum where other people can contribute and/or learn. Can we get a mod to move this thread, or can we just migrate back towards the Post-Bacc forum?

I vote a move.:thumbup:

According to the facebook page, 7 people have confirmed that they will be attending this program this summer - is that true? That leaves around 8 spots for the program.. has anyone else heard anything back from the ones who are waitlisted?

According to the facebook page, 7 people have confirmed that they will be attending this program this summer - is that true? That leaves around 8 spots for the program.. has anyone else heard anything back from the ones who are waitlisted?

I joined the facebook page to learn more about the curriculum and to ask questions. I do know that there is one member who is from the previous year. So there could be potentially 9 spots left. Based on last year's discussions 2011-2012, it sounds like people were taken off the waitlist in July...

Last edited:
AACOMAS verified 6/7/2012.

Wait, what does that mean exactly? Could you please elaborate?

Touro CA has a bad reputation for rotations. If you read Touro threads of years past, you'll see story after story. When I interviewed at Touro over 2 years ago, several of us asked about the current situation with rotations, and we were all pretty much misled and assured it was great now. Well, it's not. A lot of students had to agree to schedules where they commute over 2 hours a day, then their next rotation the following month is 2 hours away from there in an opposite direction. Now we just found out that Touro didn't renew a contract with one of the hospitals, and Ross swooped in and picked it up.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/ro...education-with-kern-medical-center-2012-05-30

So a lot of students were notified a week ago (2 weeks before their start date) that they no long have a hospital to do rotations at. Some of these people have already moved there and signed leases. They still haven't found replacement spots for them. They are moving other students around, and there was talk that maybe some of the people who were suppose to remediate would just repeat the year to make room for the displaced students. A couple of my friends were notified in the last week that they no longer have a spot where they were suppose to start in a week. It's ****ing ridiculous.

Touro CA has a bad reputation for rotations. If you read Touro threads of years past, you'll see story after story. When I interviewed at Touro over 2 years ago, several of us asked about the current situation with rotations, and we were all pretty much misled and assured it was great now. Well, it's not. A lot of students had to agree to schedules where they commute over 2 hours a day, then their next rotation the following month is 2 hours away from there in an opposite direction. Now we just found out that Touro didn't renew a contract with one of the hospitals, and Ross swooped in and picked it up.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/ro...education-with-kern-medical-center-2012-05-30

So a lot of students were notified a week ago (2 weeks before their start date) that they no long have a hospital to do rotations at. Some of these people have already moved there and signed leases. They still haven't found replacement spots for them. They are moving other students around, and there was talk that maybe some of the people who were suppose to remediate would just repeat the year to make room for the displaced students. A couple of my friends were notified in the last week that they no longer have a spot where they were suppose to start in a week. It's ****ing ridiculous.

WOW, this is valuable information. Thank you for letting us know.

I was among the last group that was interviewed this application cycle, and our group was told that day that there were enough spots available for each of us. Unfortunately, I was placed on the wait list. However, when I called yesterday to inquire about whether they've begun to pull from the wait list yet, they said that they hadn't yet started this and that it depended on whether someone withdrawals - the class was full. But how can that be if there were supposedly enough spots for each of us and we were the last group to be interviewed, and I was wait listed?? If they haven't even started to pull from the wait list, how could the class be full?? I didn't want to sound antagonistic by asking and risk my chances of being accepted, but I'm confused. Is any one else in this situation?? Does any one know anything about how the process of pulling from the wait list has worked in recent years? How many withdrawals are typical? Any feedback would be super appreciated!! I am on the "high" wait list, although I'm not too hopeful about it at this point :-/