About the ads

Touro College Manhattan/Bay Shore FALL 2011

Discussion in 'Pre-Physical Therapy' started by CAMorePT, Jan 22, 2011.

1. SDN is a nonprofit organization. Services are made possible through the generous support of SDN members and sponsors. Thank you.
  1. CAMorePT

CAMorePT

Pre-Rehab Sci [AuD/DPT/OTD]
    SDN 5+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    Hey all!
    Im a prospective DPT student interested in attending Touro College. I applied to both Manhattan & Bayshore campuses. (I really have my heart set on on staying in NY, as I am a NY resident). Has anyone got an acceptance yet? and if so are you going? I just want to get an idea of how many people are ACTUALLY going. Many ppl I know got acceptances but they chose to go elsewhere. Also, is it true they really only give you 2 weeks to submit your deposit? THANKS in advance.
  2. Howa12d

Howa12d

DPT / OTD
    I got accepted to Touro, Manhattan campus. The info you got on the short amount of time to hold your spot is correct. You have to send your deposit very shortly after getting accepted.

The good news is that I didn't even have to interview to be accepted. I just got a letter purely based on my application. I don't have a high gpa, 3.0 to be exact, but my pre-req gpa is closer to a 3.75.

I actually put in the $500 down payment so that it is my backup school. Cost is huge in my decision. At the time of my application, I was hoping to get into Hunter (around 3g's a semester). Although I was accepted into UMDNJ (both campuses), and interview at NYU (at over 120g's for 3 years and only a one floor department, I'll pass even if I do get in) last week.

I have an interview at Suny Downstate in a few days. If I get in, I'll go there. It's cheaper than Touro and I've heard better things about their program. In fact, I've heard a lot of bad things about Touro's program. That is that everything's sort of sloppily throw together - facility, faculty, etc. However, I owe it to myself to check out their campus/program to be sure. Good luck!
  3. jbizzle

jbizzle

SDN 5+ Year Member
    Howa12d-You just scared the crap out of me. inching closer and closer to the fall, it looks like I am going to Touro-Bay Shore. I hope the bad things you heard were for the Manhattan campus.
  4. futuredpt89

futuredpt89

Howa12d- i heard the same thing, my cousin is a touro alumni and he told me to not even apply to the program. I think 1 or 2 years ago a professor was fired for making a racist comment. The nyc touro doesn't have cadavers. The bay shore from what i heard isn't much better. When i was applying to schools i originally wanted to apply to Touro but my cousin and his friends told me not to go. The reason for them wanting the deposit so fast is that many people use touro as a safety school and once they get into their school of choice they reject touro, so touro thinks that if you give in the deposit you will attend their school. jbizzle you should really consider about going to another school i heard the teaching staff at bay shore don't care much for their students. I wish you guys luck and hope this post helped.
  5. jbizzle

jbizzle

SDN 5+ Year Member
    Yes, Touro is my safety school, no doubt about that. But right now, I dont think I can be picky, since I dont have many to choose from.
  6. CAMorePT

CAMorePT

SDN 5+ Year Member
    Wow! You guys definitely gave me a lot to think about! Thanks so much for the information!

The only reason I applied to Touro is because I heard they accept lower GPA's...(I have a 3.17) and a Pre req of a (2.68, but will change because Im retaking classes as we speak). AND its cheap so I figure I apply. But if it gets such awful ratings, Im not sure if I want to go there. However, I DO owe it to myself to check things out first hand. I applied to both Manhattan and Bayshore in hopes of getting into one, but now Im reconsidering.

I honestly want to go to LIU-Brooklyn SOOO BAD. Im IN LOVE with their staff, the facilities and the other DPT students. They're so friendly! BUT its is super expensive and If I get accepted Idk what I'd do! :scared:

But Im definitely going to visit both Touro campuses. I havnt even heard anything from them yet and they said they received my app in December? So Im thinking whats the hold up?
  7. futuredpt89

futuredpt89

jbizzle- southwest baptist looks like a pretty solid school. If you live in NY and don't want to leave NY i guess i could see why you would choose to go to touro. Lol everyone needs a safety school but i dont think i would go to touro even if it was free. They kinda screw over their students.

camorept- when did you apply to LIU, when was your ptcas sent in? Yea its good but expensive
  8. CAMorePT

CAMorePT

SDN 5+ Year Member
    futuredpt89- LIU received my app in December. I e-submitted on 11/16 (kinda late). Im just hoping they honor me with an interview. The admissions seem to like me. I went there for a Grad School open house and I went to a DPT open house, and Im always emailing Wing Fu back and forth about events/the program/my app, etc. THEN I went to the school another time to hand in my CPR first AID certification. So yeah Im pretty much always in their face. I really wanna go there, but Im afraid they'll turn me down because of my stats. But im remaining positive!!

So at this point Im basically just waiting for an interview. :xf:. So I can sell them one LAST time.
  9. thegunners82

thegunners82

Hey guys,

I have the same situation, but mine is Touro Vs UMDNJ. I've got acceptances from both and I am having a hard time comparing these twos. Any suggestion? :confused:
  10. jbizzle

jbizzle

SDN 5+ Year Member
    Check out the "campus" at Touro. maybe you'll run into a student or faculty and ask some questions. You've already seen what UMDNJ looks like though your interview (I think I remember seeing someone having an interview with them). Then compare the two. :laugh:Then post on here since I live in FL and I cant just go check Touro out for a day....im assuming you live close by.

BTW-CAMorePT, sorry for not answering your original question. They gave me 4 weeks to submit my deposit.
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2011
  11. futuredpt89

futuredpt89

congrats on UMDNJ that's a really good school. A Friend of mine goes to their dental school and he loves the school, he met a few people form the physical therapy program and introduced them to me and they say that they really like the school. I spoke to them about the school (this was before i decided to go out of state) basically they told me that the teaching staff is great and that if you have a question the teachers are willing to stay after to help you out, there were no complaints. UMDNJ would have been one of my top choices but i wanted to leave NY so my first choice is Nova. If it was me i would go to UMDNJ. As far as touro that school is the bottom of the barrel i heard too many bad stories about it to make me ever consider that school, to me its a safety school if you don't get in anywhere then you go to touro...hope that helps
  12. CAMorePT

CAMorePT

SDN 5+ Year Member
    Wow I cant believe all these bad things Im hearing about Touro. My first choice is LIU but at this point idk if I'll get into any other school. I already got rejected from two schools (NYIT and NYMC) and the others arnt looking promising because of my extremely low stats, so Im going to Touro if they even accept me. IF NOT im going to my undergraduate institution, Howard University.

Im still praying that I get into LIU or Touro because I REALLY really want to move back home (to NY).
  13. CAMorePT

CAMorePT

SDN 5+ Year Member
    TheGunners82- I think you should go to UMDNJ, I mean I did a little further research about Touro and they do have really low rankings and UMDNJ is 10x better. Im not saying this because Im trying to get a spot in Touro, but if you have the OPTION, I would go with the better school. I mean who wouldnt?
  14. jbizzle

jbizzle

SDN 5+ Year Member
    Hey CAMorePT I applied to Howard also. If I get accepted there I will go there over Touro. We prolly have to wait another month or two with their decisions.
  15. CAMorePT

CAMorePT

SDN 5+ Year Member
    Yeah you wont hear from Howard until April May, my friend goes there now for DPT and he didnt get his acceptance letter til May 1st and he graduated HU on May 8th. They're pretty late, but Im guaranteed a spot because I went there undergrad and Howard does have a good program, Im just ready to leave. I mean I went here for 4 years undergrad, Im ready to move on to something else. lol
  16. arvest25

arvest25

Rehab Sci Student [OTD]
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I applied to Howard too! I'm about to send in the supplemental documents, but I have a question about the application. What did you guys put on the "Sources of Financial Support" section? What if we don't know where we will get Loans from just yet?
  17. jbizzle

jbizzle

SDN 5+ Year Member
    Hey arvest I believe the financial support paper is for international applicants. Yeah I was confused when I saw that too but after reading it more carefully I believe it ask only for international applicants.
  18. Kyra4dpt

Kyra4dpt

Rehab Sci Student [OTD]
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    UMDNJ over Touro without a doubt!! I interviewed there last year and they were among my top choices. Great faculty, they seem to really care about their students. Fabulous research going on and if you are interested in any of the faculty's research you can get involved. Nice cadaver lab. The program is very solid, a high pass rate and has a great rep. Touro doesn't compare!
  19. JazzyJay

JazzyJay

I applied to touro college as a back up also.I apply in Jan 2011. Has anyone gotten an acceptance letter yet? Wheb do you think i'll be recieving a letter? I also applied to USC and got accepted but not sure if I want to go there.
  20. CAMorePT

CAMorePT

SDN 5+ Year Member
    I applied to Touro both campuses in November and they told me they got the app in December (the 19th to be exact) then I sent them my SAT scores in JAN cuz my GREs are bad and my SAT scores are less than 5 yrs old. And I still havnt gotten a decision yet.

Also, I called the admission officer regarding receipt of some of my items and she was SOOOO RUDE. OMG. I wanted to curse her out, but then my bigger self stepped in. But someone needs to do something about her. Kinda shows me what to expect from the faculty in that school. :(

USC is a better school I heard. So if your trying to decide between the two you should go there.
  21. jbizzle

jbizzle

SDN 5+ Year Member
    Yeah, she is really rude. I was told to ask for someone else to get things done because she (who shall not be named) is the worse at getting all your paper work together.
  22. Tomsik

Tomsik

Rehab Sci Student [OTD]
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Hey all, Im a current student in the PT program and I know who you all are talking about. Ask for Brian and he'll help you out like he helped the majority of my classmates.
  23. CAMorePT

CAMorePT

SDN 5+ Year Member
    Wow. I will defininately try to contact Brian today. Im still waiting on a response.

Also Tomsik, which campus do you attend? Do you like the program? Do you believe that it is affording you the opportunity to be a well equipt Physical Therapist & pass the licensing exam? Alot of questions I know but any little bit helps

And if we ALL know who this person is and we've experienced them, why hasnt anything been done? There's a certain level of professionalism and accountability that should be maintained in order to even be recognized as a school worth going to...hmm.. just a thought.

Thanks in advance Tomsik (I love this forum by the way)
  24. Tomsik

Tomsik

Rehab Sci Student [OTD]
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I attend the Bay Shore Campus and I really do like the program. Our class has really bonded considering we are together 5 days a week typically from 9-4. This is only my 2nd semester but I feel like Touro is doing a good job preparing us but I do not know about the licensing exam considering I am only in 2nd semester. I love that we have a lot of hands on work along with classroom time whereas other schools do all the theory prior to starting hands on work. I know of one school imparticular where 2nd semester students haven't done any hands on work yet.

Regarding this person that works in the office, from what I have heard, she has a connection through her dad which is some big person at the school. I just ALWAYS go through Brian. This lady told me that I had to retake general psych AFTER I graduated with a PSYCH DEGREE. Brian made sure that I did NOT have to retake it since I already had a psych degree. :)
  25. CAMorePT

CAMorePT

SDN 5+ Year Member
    Thank you Tomsik that was really helpful! I actually emailed Brian this morning regarding my app. Hopefully they are timely with the email responses. If not I'll call tomorrow, and ask specifically for him. I hope he's friendly after dealing with the other person. Im sure the admissions process is daunting and the officers can be stressed out.
  26. Tomsik

Tomsik

Rehab Sci Student [OTD]
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    CAMorePT, how did it turn out with emailing Brian? Any luck?
  27. CAMorePT

CAMorePT

SDN 5+ Year Member
    Whats funny is I emailed him and I didnt get a response, BUT GUESS who emailed me back instead? Yes. But right now Im waiting on scores to be sent and they Test company said they mailed them so they should be getting them anytime now.

Thanks for your help! Im trying to make a campus visit soon also.
  28. jbizzle

jbizzle

SDN 5+ Year Member
    Hey CAMorePT. Please tell me what you think about the campus. Maybe take pictures, lol. Of the city also lol. Please. Im from FL so I cant really just go there for a weekend...well I could but it would be costly.
  29. CAMorePT

CAMorePT

SDN 5+ Year Member
    Sure, JBizzle. I can do that. Im from Long Island so whenever I go home i'll try to visit both Bayshore and Manhattan campuses. Also, you could try doing google maps and typing their address and getting a satellite view of the campus. Even a street view. That's what I did initially, but I still want to see inside.
  30. scapone4

scapone4

Hey guys. I am attending Touro, Bay Shore, in the fall of 2011. I work for a PT place where one of the PT's went to to Touro and she liked it. AND its the only place I got accepted. Havent visited yet, but plan on doing that within the next couple months
  31. jbizzle

jbizzle

SDN 5+ Year Member
    Scapone, I sent in my deposit for Touro Bay Shore, but not sure if im heading there yet. Which city or apartment complexes are you looking for to live.
  32. NYCPT

NYCPT

Rehab Sci Student [OTD]
    I have visited the Bayshore campus. I wasn't overly impressed with the facilities but I have heard that the program is solid. I work with a PT who graduated from Touro Manhattan and I'm impressed with her knowledge. The campus was similar to a city university not off a private college.
  33. scapone4

scapone4

Not quite sure. I was just instructed by a student to look in West Islip and West Babylon. I am going to contact Brian in admissions and supposedly he has some places he knows about. Close to the ocean though, Im a surfer.
  34. scapone4

scapone4

x 2!! The girl I work with is very knowledgeable and good at her job. She said the school was not overly hard and she had good students in her class. I heard the facilities are not the greatest as well, but honestly that does not bother me.
  35. jbizzle

jbizzle

SDN 5+ Year Member
    Hey Scapone, is your acceptance contingent on "pre-requisite coursework: 15 credits in a concentration 9 of those credits must be in upper division"

Also, do you have your First Aid certification? I have a BLS-For Health care providers for my CPR cert, I wonder if that counts as First Aid.
  36. scapone4

scapone4

My acceptance was deferred from last year because I was missing Pre-calc. So I am taking that this semester. As far as first-aid cert. I took a First aid and safety class at a local community college. I would say your cert would be fine. I would just send it in ASAP, then wait a few weeks and send a letter requesting what pre-requisite work you have left. If they don't say your first aid cert, then your good.
  37. jbizzle

jbizzle

SDN 5+ Year Member
    Thats weird, because I graduated in 2008 with all the pre-reqs completed for Touro. I guess Ill be contacting Brian D soon.
  38. scapone4

scapone4

Yea give em a call. Cant hurt.
  39. NYCPT

NYCPT

Rehab Sci Student [OTD]
    I went to Howard as an undergraduate. I think I would go to Touro over Howard. I would research but I believe they had lost their accreditation a few years ago and had to fight to get it back. I am not 100% sure, but I remember something about them losing their accreditation.
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2011
  40. PT2B2014

PT2B2014

DPT / OTD
    I was accepted into Touro Manhattan for the incoming class of 2014. It is part of the City University of New York and the price point is very appealing. On the other hand because it is part of the CUNY system the funding and state-of-the-art appeal may not be there. I was accepted to NYIT, Sacred Heart, Touro and Stony Brook and I will be attending Touro in the Fall.

I had worked with DPT's who had graduated from Touro, NYU, Hunter and the like. Those that went to the more expensive schools are working in the same practices as those who did not, and they graduated with much more debt. The discounts on PT services is only rising and the returns on your services will only be decreasing over the next few years. I would seriously take this into account when choosing and financing which PT school you will be attending.

PT is an applied science, and school is what you make of it. Do your homework, talk to the students and the faculty and follow your gut. If it is not the right fit for you don't go there.
  41. CAMorePT

CAMorePT

SDN 5+ Year Member
    So I found out today I got rejected from Touro (both campuses). As of now its like an 85% chance Im going to attend my undergraduate institution. I plan on calling/emailing Touro asking why I didnt get accepted. Not that they owe me an explanation, but I would like one.

I started this thread. How sad? :(
  42. jbizzle

jbizzle

SDN 5+ Year Member
    CAMorePT, I know someone at Howard and you said you know people at HU DPT also, IMO I dont think Howard is a bad choice. The 1st year I know seems to like it very much.
  43. CAMorePT

CAMorePT

SDN 5+ Year Member
    Jbizzle,

Yeah Im not salty. I actually had a long talk with my parents and although I would have liked to move back home, Im going to stay at Howard. Tuition here is 12k a year for the PT program and its only 2 1/2 yrs and Touro's tuition is 10k per semester I believe. But after weighing my options (and getting rejected from majority of my schools) I decided to stay here. They have good clinical affiliations, decent patient pools, and a 89% pass rate. I can live with that. The money factor is a major thing for me too. Although it would have been great to get into all these expensive schools, my pockets arent too deep.
  44. KHALLDPT

KHALLDPT

Hi guys, I'm new to this thing, but I've been reading yalls posts and its really helping me out. I have a few questions though. I applied to UMDNJ, got an interview (which I thought went really well) and got waitlisted :mad:! I emailed them to find out my place on the waitlisted roster and she didnt really give me a clear answer. Does yall know anyone who has been placed on the waitlist and have gotten in? The letter stated that I should hear something by July 15...SCHOOL STARTS ON THE 29TH! lol...its all really frustrating to me but anywho...
    I also applied to Howard and LIU, I see that HU usually sends out letters in April or May but does anyone know around what time LIU sends out their letters? I got a letter from them (LIU) stating that theyve recieved my app and wont do interviews unless theres something missing from my packet, so Im guessing its a good thing i didnt hear back from them for an interview. I saw that someone sent in a copy of their AED/CPR license to LIU was that mandatory, if so I need to hop on that stat!.

Sorry my post is so long please let me know if you know any info on what i've asked. Thanks in advance!
  45. jbizzle

jbizzle

SDN 5+ Year Member
    ROFL, HU is not that cheap, geez cmon now. The 1st year I know said its a total of around 70K to 75K.
  46. NYCPT

NYCPT

Rehab Sci Student [OTD]
    HU's program is not $75k per year or even for three years.
  47. jbizzle

jbizzle

SDN 5+ Year Member
    Oh...how much is it, I was sure he told me 70-75 for 2.5 years.
  48. CAMorePT

CAMorePT

SDN 5+ Year Member
    JBizzle,

Remember the supplimental app for HU? Look on the international financial seciton. It tells you how much HU is tuition and fees. EXPENSES is another thing but tuition and fees are exactly $12,970.

I guess you should figure out how much housing is for Touro or any other college and then compare, because that is a major factor as well. I know I live in the graduate housing now and I have honor's housing. But it costs around 4,200 per semester if you live in a double suite, a triple is around 3,100 per semester.
  49. Jmastov

Jmastov

DPT / OTD
    Hey guys I'm a current student at Hunter College in NY, I'm planning on going to Touro College. Its a mindset I've had since I started as freshman, but I'm just sooo worried that I won't get in.

I currently have a overall GPA of 2.8 and that's not including the classes I'm gonna get graded on now. I have all my prereqs done with above Cs. Sat's are outstanding in Verbal and above avg in Math. 1600/2400.

All my PTs that I work/volunteer with say I'm amazing at what I know and do and that the reccemindation letters that they will write should help me but I wanna know from the people that go there..if there is anyone that goes there. Do I have a chance? I'm really really worried I'm also gonna petition the admissions committee from PTCAS.
  50. CAMorePT

CAMorePT

SDN 5+ Year Member
    Hey KHALLPT

I applied to LIU, Its my number 1 choice (although its expensive), but I havnt heard anything back from them yet. I called the office several times and spoke to someone and they said they'd call me back but never did. So im assuming....rejection? Even though I dont want to think that. But they do require you submit the CPR/ First Aid certification. As far as HU, yes they dont send out acceptance letters till mid April early May.