Touro College of Dental Medicine - New York

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
We need to have hundreds of dental schools built so its easier for us to get accepted. All dental schools are the same. People are just angry that they didn't apply to Touro and they didn't get accepted any where else
0/10 Try again

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
We need to have hundreds of dental schools built so its easier for us to get accepted. All dental schools are the same. People are just angry that they didn't apply to Touro and they didn't get accepted any where else
Just stop

I think your calling is pharmacy.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Didn't think they would send out rejections so quickly.

so there was a wave of rejection before wl and 2nd acceptance?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using SDN mobile

that is kind of odd that they didn't wait for more people dropping their seats..
unless they think they have enough people on the "waitlist"
Guess so. They may have a pool of wl which is large enough to tolerate the estimated drop rate.
Last week I checked my mail every 5mins for an email from touro.
Today I check my mail 5mins to make sure no email from touro. Good life experience.

Guess so. They may have a pool of wl which is large enough to tolerate the estimated drop rate.
Last week I checked my mail every 5mins for an email from touro.
Today I check my mail 5mins to make sure no email from touro. Good life experience.

Stay strong buddy. I think I went through a phase of depression, low self-esteem and what not over the last two years. I couldn't believe that application process could take this much of emotional toll on me. But believe me, once you get that first acceptance, everything you've done, every little thing that you did and have to do for this will be all worth it. Hang in there!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I talked to the admission office this morning. They told me that they have sent out few rejections today morning and depending on how many accept the offer, more acceptances will get sent out this week. Also they have not sent out any notification with regards to waiting list yet. And unlike what was posted previously, they said "majority" not all 110 offers were made last Wednesday.

Reactions: 2 users
more dental schools would not be a good thing, it would just increase the already growing problem of saturation. People need to work their hardest to have strong applications , there's a reason it's hard to get in, when you graduate, someone's health will be in ur hands, literally, thus, it shouldn't be made easier to get in...

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

just a word of advice, when you guys are doing that background check to submit it, make sure you put "personal" as the reason, otherwise, the agency that does it will call you and tell you that they are not able to do it for educational purposes.

By the way, does anyone know what the start date is exactly?

more dental schools would not be a good thing, it would just increase the already growing problem of saturation. People need to work their hardest to have strong applications , there's a reason it's hard to get in, when you graduate, someone's health will be in ur hands, literally, thus, it shouldn't be made easier to get in...

By saturation, I think people are talking about popular areas like wealthy suburban areas or major cities. If you consider rural areas that are underserved, we definitely need more dentists. However, opening more dental school isn't likely to cure that problem because new grads will do that same thing as their upperclassman did, go to major cities or wealthy suburb area.

Maybe they should look into giving out awesome benefits to dentists who's willing to relocate to underserved area. I know there are NHSC scholarship, but that's extremely hard to get and I heard it's usually reserved for URM's (not sure how accurate, but I got the vive that non-URM's won't have a shot)

By saturation, I think people are talking about popular areas like wealthy suburban areas or major cities. If you consider rural areas that are underserved, we definitely need more dentists. However, opening more dental school isn't likely to cure that problem because new grads will do that same thing as their upperclassman did, go to major cities or wealthy suburb area.

Maybe they should look into giving out awesome benefits to dentists who's willing to relocate to underserved area. I know there are NHSC scholarship, but that's extremely hard to get and I heard it's usually reserved for URM's (not sure how accurate, but I got the vive that non-URM's won't have a shot)
In general , just graduating more dentists increases saturation no matter where you live , by living somewhere more rural you can avoid saturation, but suggesting one lives in such places to avoid a problem is not a solution , what if you want to practice in a saturated area? Clearly many people do, the bottom line is, more schools equals more saturation , at least so it seems, I don't think making it easier to get in is a good idea, I do agree some incentive program for people willing to move would be nice, but then it's up to the person taking said incentive to do that, where as we have no choice but to deal with saturation and set up accordingly lol

In general , just graduating more dentists increases saturation no matter where you live , by living somewhere more rural you can avoid saturation, but suggesting one lives in such places to avoid a problem is not a solution , what if you want to practice in a saturated area? Clearly many people do, the bottom line is, more schools equals more saturation , at least so it seems, I don't think making it easier to get in is a good idea, I do agree some incentive program for people willing to move would be nice, but then it's up to the person taking said incentive to do that, where as we have no choice but to deal with saturation and set up accordingly lol

agreed. Desirable areas will always be saturated and more area will become saturated as the income potential grows there.
Hopefully, opening of new schools are happening due to valid reasons such as rapidly aging population, retirement of current generation dentists, etc.
At least we don't have to fight for jobs like pharmacy or law students yet. I heard that their job markets are awful (law being worse than pharm).

I love city life, but I wouldn't mind living in a semi-rural area if there is good incentive.

agreed. Desirable areas will always be saturated and more area will become saturated as the income potential grows there.
Hopefully, opening of new schools are happening due to valid reasons such as rapidly aging population, retirement of current generation dentists, etc.
At least we don't have to fight for jobs like pharmacy or law students yet. I heard that their job markets are awful (law being worse than pharm).

I love city life, but I wouldn't mind living in a semi-rural area if there is good incentive.
Even without NHSC, you can still make great money in rural areas and probably have a less stressful life due to lack of competition. The incentive is already there.

Rejection today @ 11:30am. ..

they said they'll call me back to see why I was not good enough. . . ( I emailed them first)

So sad . .. Another year to Apply again !

ugh

they said they'll call me back to see why I was not good enough. . . ( I emailed them first)

ugh
Damn. Sorry to hear that my man.

Reactions: 5 users

ugh
They lost a true touro lover

Reactions: 9 users

ugh
Damn, you were literally the poster child of Touro on SDN.
:(

Reactions: 7 users

ugh
Oh I am sorry to hear that. it's their loss not to have you this year.

Reactions: 6 users

ugh
I'm suprised they sent out rejections already. I'm assuming that the first round acceptances they should only get 50% of students accepting the school and there going to send out multiple of waves of acceptance like the other dental schools. It's so weird though because July is right around the corner though

I'm suprised they sent out rejections already. I'm assuming that the first round acceptances they should only get 50% of students accepting the school and there going to send out multiple of waves of acceptance like the other dental schools. It's so weird though because July is right around the corner though

I believe touro's case is slightly different because for a lot students who applied here, touro might have been their last chance and when they got it, there's no reason to let it go, unless miraculously they received another acceptance, which seems not too likely at this time of cycle.

ugh

Shoot. I'm sorry, tooth.
You've been really dedicated to this field for a long time, and it is depressing that they failed to recognize that.

I do admire your positive and inspirational attitude ("Another year to Apply again!")- Keep up the spirit. My fingers are crossed for you and I hope you get in this cycle.

Reactions: 5 users

ugh
Hey Tooth, I will keep you in my prayers, stay strong.
Peace

Reactions: 2 users

ugh

If anyone deserves to go to Touro, it's you. I'm sorry to hear that. Keep your passion strong and best of luck in future endeavors.

Reactions: 3 users

ugh
Sorry man, let us know what they ll tell you

ugh
That's rough man. Keep your head up. Everything happens for a reason.
Hopefully you've spent this past year making yourself a stronger applicant. Applications are right around the corner. Apply early, apply smart, talk to admissions, and hopefully this will be your year.

Congratulations To all whom got accepted this cycle !
:claps::claps::claps::claps::claps::claps::claps::claps::claps::claps::claps::claps::claps::claps::claps:

I started to write my new personal statement for the next APPLICATION CYLCE.

I guess, the world is not ready for me to become a dentist yet !

But one day. . .

>>>>>

But Touro does look to be a very nice program, Hopefully STAFF did not really say those things to @gunner4ever , that would be not nice .. . .

For those who don't know me, this is like my 3rd time applying,

i have like a 3.3 OVERALL GPA

I have very average DAT 17/18, 21 PAT, 20 RC

15 Professional years of dental experience ....

Im an older applicant.. . .

and the final thought to this post is this:

Always go to the end to achieve your dream.

there is one life to live.

Never Give up, and BE GOOD

Reactions: 20 users

I seriously think if you can retake the DAT and get a 20 you're in somewhere. Like you said, you have a lot more insight into this profession than most pre-dents. I wish you the best of luck.

Reactions: 1 users

With 3.3gpa and dat 17,18... it is impossible to get into dental school

Don't listen to this BS. This guy or gal is a true gunner LOL. There is a few of these in dental school so watch out guys. I had a classmate who sent out an old exam to the whole class with incorrect answers. They are true fxxkers.

I bet that classmate didn't get invited to anything...

Good luck man. There's always somewhere to improve yourself whether it be academically, professionally, or interpersonally. Find that, work hard on it, and slip that into your personal statement!

Congratulations To all whom got accepted this cycle !
:claps::claps::claps::claps::claps::claps::claps::claps::claps::claps::claps::claps::claps::claps::claps:

I started to write my new personal statement for the next APPLICATION CYLCE.

I guess, the world is not ready for me to become a dentist yet !

But one day. . .

>>>>>

But Touro does look to be a very nice program, Hopefully STAFF did not really say those things to @gunner4ever , that would be not nice .. . .

that's the spirit. Are you waiting for any other school? or was this it?

that's the spirit. Are you waiting for any other school? or was this it?

OMG

Super LOL

and lmao

do you mean, Am i waiting for another new school to open up?

I am ready to reapply

OMG

Super LOL

and lmao

do you mean, Am i waiting for another new school to open up?

I am ready to reapply

haha no, I meant to ask are you waiting to get off any waitlist from another school this cycle.
I hope you are, so you will have another chance. For some reason, I find myself rooting for you more than I do for others.

Last edited:

Tother knockn, looks like we are on the same boat. I'm 32 with 3.4/3.4 in Biochem and 20/22PAT, 7 years of dental assisting experience, and this is my 3rd years applying, been on waitlist every year lol gonna retake the DAT this summer. Maybe we should retake it together.

With that type of outlook, I know you'll eventually be a successful dentist.

I seriously think if you can retake the DAT and get a 20 you're in somewhere. Like you said, you have a lot more insight into this profession than most pre-dents. I wish you the best of luck.
Seriously! I get if you redid the DAT and got a 20+, you would get in somewhere!

Either way, best of luck with everything. I was rooting for you for Touro.

There are over 200,000 dentists in the United States. Adding a few dozen, or even a couple hundred more dentists each year is not going to saturate the market. Besides, while some schools have opened, and other schools have increased their class size, still other schools have reduced their class sizes. The only thing people tend to discuss on these forums are the new schools and those which have recently expanded. Furthermore, there is an aging population of boomers who will increasingly need dental care, and there are likely more dentists looking to retire now that the economy is in recovery after the recession.

In my opinion, a major technological breakthrough is more likely to be disruptive to the practice of dentistry on the short-term than gradually expanding the pool of graduating dentists each year.

If you are willing to retake the DAT and work hard to achieve a 21+ I am sure you will have at least one acceptance somewhere assuming that everything else on your application checks out.

I believe touro's case is slightly different because for a lot students who applied here, touro might have been their last chance and when they got it, there's no reason to let it go, unless miraculously they received another acceptance, which seems not too likely at this time of cycle.
Yes that's very true. But I remember during my interview a lot of kids had multiple interviews. Some candidates went and they already had an acceptance under their belt but just viewed it as a small vacation lol.

Yes that's very true. But I remember during my interview a lot of kids had multiple interviews. Some candidates went and they already had an acceptance under their belt but just viewed it as a small vacation lol.

wow, that sounds like waste of money if they aren't even serious about attending. I know I am not that rich! I am making CHASE rich by flying around for interviews.