Touro College of Dental Medicine - New York

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Neithet, no news...I think it is because of my residency. Internationals require 200,000 deposit, which the admission committee may think 1 or 2 weeks are too short to prepare and make the deposit.
I heard no news at all still, basically does that mean I got rejected.

Members don't see this ad.

Neithet, no news...I think it is because of my residency. Internationals require 200,000 deposit, which the admission committee may think 1 or 2 weeks are too short to prepare and make the deposit.

I thought that was just a rumor, didn't know they actually require 200k deposit. Holy smokes..
Hang in there!

Members don't see this ad :)
before u took your masters, did you still get rejected with your 3.7 post bac gpa?
I just started master in the spring term and finished post bac in the previous fall so technically I was never rejected with post bac lol

$200,000 deposit for international students? Holy..... I thought that was a joke or a typo, but that's just ridiculous!

Just wanted to let you guys know I was accepted to a school closer to home and will be rejecting Touro. Good luck to whoever gets my spot.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats. U got accepted last week right? May I ask what is your deadline to put down the deposit?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using SDN mobile

Just wanted to let you guys know I was accepted to a school closer to home and will be rejecting Touro. Good luck to whoever gets my spot.

I would like to personally thank you for going to a different school so that others may go to Touro and not spend another year playing dental waiting games

Hi guys,
just out of curiosity:thinking:, is any of you guys on the WL has AA DAT score of 20?
it seems like everybody with 20 and above have been accepted somewhere.
if you have 20 or above, and still on the WL just like this post. :happy:

Reactions: 5 users
Hi guys,
just out of curiosity:thinking:, is any of you guys on the WL has AA DAT score of 20?
22AA but donno my status yet

Sent from my Nexus 5 using SDN mobile

anyone one knows when will be the next wave of notice. Also, if they accept people from waitlist in the next wave or not?

There s a group of ppl received nothing last week… like MJ and me…

Called Sam yesterday, that's my homie now..but anyways, she said it doesn't mean anything in particular if you haven't heard anything yet, they simply just haven't gotten to everyone yet. And with the stats I'm seeing on here, I believe that. It's definitely a mix of candidates who haven't heard, don't really see a pattern. But she also wasn't sure when they'd be informing people. She mentioned she hasn't heard from James from admissions yet on the feedback from last wave. Feel like I'm slipping, but hanging in there still..

Reactions: 1 user
Called Sam yesterday, that's my homie now..but anyways, she said it doesn't mean anything in particular if you haven't heard anything yet, they simply just haven't gotten to everyone yet. And with the stats I'm seeing on here, I believe that. It's definitely a mix of candidates who haven't heard, don't really see a pattern. But she also wasn't sure when they'd be informing people. She mentioned she hasn't heard from James from admissions yet on the feedback from last wave. Feel like I'm slipping, but hanging in there still..
I called Sam last week, she said they would let us know early this week…it looks like the progress got delayed again…

Reactions: 1 users
It's makes sense that if you didn't hear it's cause you still have a chance other wise why wouldn't they have just put us all on the waiting list. Don't be fooled by the games the admissions people play on us

Hi guys,

Is it even possible to get lower than AA 20 if you STUDIED? (from non-science major)

It's makes sense that if you didn't hear it's cause you still have a chance other wise why wouldn't they have just put us all on the waiting list. Don't be fooled by the games the admissions people play on us

Is it even possible to get lower than AA 20 if you STUDIED? (from non-science major)

The postings you two make are mindblowing.

Reactions: 8 users
Touro will be a interesting place for sure lol

Yes it will.

It's actually quite sad. I know that the majority of the first cohort is not on SDN and are likely a very intelligent and capable group. But some of the comments made here are really ridiculous, and show the communication ability of some of the applicants.
It just goes to show that it REALLY is not all about grades. Communication abilities are key in this profession, as we will be dealing with patients every single day.
My wife went to a dentist who was a Columbia grad (not an attack on you or your school, I promise) and she was awful. Terrible communicator, awful at practice mangement (production production production, terrible patient experience), and honestly not that great of a dentist. But because of the school she attended, I'm guessing she had excellent grades. My wife switched over to her current dentist (graduated from a state dental school) who sees less patients a day, focuses less on production and more on lean business practices and efficiency, develops relationships with the patients (we are always greeted by name the second we walk through the door), and an overall better experience. He tells me that he was a solid B student and is very fortunate to have gotten into dentistry when he did (early 90s when dentistry was much easier to get into). He doubts he would have been accepted into a school today. I even shadowed him for a bit and asked him to mentor me.
Sorry about the tangent, but my point was that communication abilities are key in this profession. There will be some folks that will attend Touro with mediocre grades that were not accepted anywhere else, but already have the social skills necessary to be successful clinical providers. Any (possible) lack of didactic and clinical training due to the new program would hopefully be compensated by an AEGD/GPR.
As for those with poor grades AND poor communication skills, they will have a very difficult time as a dentist.

In case anyone was wondering if I am judging this school, I am not. I am judging SOME of the applicants that I have seen in the threads based on their comments, not their grades.
In fact, I even applied here and was rejected pre-interview, with no hard feelings.

Reactions: 2 users
Yes it will.

It's actually quite sad. I know that the majority of the first cohort is not on SDN and are likely a very intelligent and capable group. But some of the comments made here are really ridiculous, and show the communication ability of some of the applicants.
It just goes to show that it REALLY is not all about grades. Communication abilities are key in this profession, as we will be dealing with patients every single day.
My wife went to a dentist who was a Columbia grad (not an attack on you or your school, I promise) and she was awful. Terrible communicator, awful at practice mangement (production production production, terrible patient experience), and honestly not that great of a dentist. But because of the school she attended, I'm guessing she had excellent grades. My wife switched over to her current dentist (graduated from a state dental school) who sees less patients a day, focuses less on production and more on lean business practices and efficiency, develops relationships with the patients (we are always greeted by name the second we walk through the door), and an overall better experience. He tells me that he was a solid B student and is very fortunate to have gotten into dentistry when he did (early 90s when dentistry was much easier to get into). He doubts he would have been accepted into a school today. I even shadowed him for a bit and asked him to mentor me.
Sorry about the tangent, but my point was that communication abilities are key in this profession. There will be some folks that will attend Touro with mediocre grades that were not accepted anywhere else, but already have the social skills necessary to be successful clinical providers. Any (possible) lack of didactic and clinical training due to the new program would hopefully be compensated by an AEGD/GPR.
As for those with poor grades AND poor communication skills, they will have a very difficult time as a dentist.

In case anyone was wondering if I am judging this school, I am not. I am judging SOME of the applicants that I have seen in the threads based on their comments, not their grades.
In fact, I even applied here and was rejected pre-interview, with no hard feelings.

there are bad apples everywhere. Like you said, not even half the Touro's student body seems to be active on SDN, so your generalization is too broad. Not to mention the fact that Touro's thread just seems to attract all kinds of people with different motive.

there are bad apples everywhere. Like you said, not even half the Touro's student body seems to be active on SDN, so your generalization is too broad. Not to mention the fact that Touro's thread just seems to attract all kinds of people with different motive.
Maybe I misspoke. I wasn't trying to generalize the Touro applicant pool. In fact, im confident that many of the grads from here are being given an opportunity that other schools are not willing to offer (because of less competitive numbers) the possibility of becoming great doctors. The point I was trying to make is that it's not all about grades. Communication is paramount in the profession. That's why I said some of the comments made here. I should have specified and said the comments made by some of the posters here.
Sorry about the misunderstanding.

But I couldn't agree more, there are bad apples EVERYWHERE.

It's interesting you say that because the people that led my interview group were some of the most outgoing people I've ever met and everyone I know who was accepted seems to be very sociable and adept at social interactions , both friendly , and professional, although I do agree with you , it's deff important to have people skills, I guess the system isn't perfect haha, either way I'd venture that perhaps things were different back then , as they are now, I believe the adcom at Columbia does their best to take the most well rounded candidates as possible , none of the social recluse types seemed to be present when I was there lol, but again I respect your point ...

I would agree with you that she was likely an exception, not the norm.

It's interesting you say that because the people that led my interview group were some of the most outgoing people I've ever met and everyone I know who was accepted seems to be very sociable and adept at social interactions , both friendly , and professional, although I do agree with you , it's deff important to have people skills, I guess the system isn't perfect haha, either way I'd venture that perhaps things were different back then , as they are now, I believe the adcom at Columbia does their best to take the most well rounded candidates as possible , none of the social recluse types seemed to be present when I was there lol, but again I respect your point ...

please tell me that wasn't one sentence!

I can feel the criticism to part of the ppl who are still waiting...
Ppl are getting mad(or having some extreme posts) because the tedious waiting really brings anxiety.
I understand that under conditions of stress, anxiety and uncertainty(also depends on individuals), some inappropriate behaviors are unavoidable, especially when everything happens on the internet which is anonymous.
I guess ppl just need some positive evidences to keep their heads up, or motivation to edit ps for next cycle T-T

I suggest we all hold hands and pray for strength from the Lord up above.

Yes it will.

I'm going to go ahead and second what @schmoob is saying.

Book smarts will only get you so far. If you cannot communicate with your patients or your team, if you cannot manage your business, and if you cannot get along with your peers, you're royally ****ed. Fancy degree or not.

(Not a personal attack on anyone here, just a general comment)

That's why dental schools need to adopt the medical school application process where they tell the people they interviewed if they got accepted or waitlisted two weeks after their interview. They do not wait until December for no logical reason. And yes this is an attack on the dental school application process.

That's why dental schools need to adopt the medical school application process where they tell the people they interviewed if they got accepted or waitlisted two weeks after their interview. They do not wait until December for no logical reason. And yes this is an attack on the dental school application process.
You really don't want this to be like the medical school process though. The waiting sucks I agree, but they do it all for a reason (at least prior to December 1st).

Work on making your application stronger instead of whining about the process. Is your AADSAS ready to submit? Is it better than last years? Have you gotten higher numbers? More EC's? More community service?

And if this was like med school, would you really want to be on a wait list for 8 months?

@xhmi3 got any updates from your girl Sam today?
lol I was just checking the forum to see if anyone had any updates. I'll give her another call a little later, she's being silly and not answering right now.

The due date for last wave is today… so if something will happen, it may be on tomorrow or early next week…

lol I was just checking the forum to see if anyone had any updates. I'll give her another call a little later, she's being silly and not answering right now.
Can u also ask if they accept the wl in the next wave? Thanks so much

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using SDN mobile

I think Sam and I might be beefin'.. Noone's answering. My hope is either tomorrow or early next week. If I hear anything in the meantime, I'll be sure to update SDN & friends:)

Reactions: 3 users