Touro COM - New York, Harlem Campus (TouroCOM-NY, Harlem) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
II for the Harlem campus just now!

Secondary received: 9/18/15
Secondary submitted: 9/23/15
Interview invite: 11/5/15
LizzyM=61
OOS

Shoutout to all my fellow underdogs: Keep the hope alive! This whole process has been exhausting for everyone involved, but you never know who will see your application and give you the chance to show them you are more than your numbers. We're going to get through this!

whats LizzyM?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone accepted yet?
I was at the 2nd interview date of the year and they said 4 to 6 weeks for a decision so I don't think any acceptances will be popping up until after Thanksgiving

Ugh - based on last year's thread... a couple students received decisions in about 2 weeks.
Anyone know the percentage of interviewees accepted?

Have there been more IIs after the first wave?

Reactions: 1 user
How long does it take to receive supplemental after primary? I haven't got one.

Congrats to everyone that interviewed today!!! What did ya'll think? What were your impressions?!

I was disappointed there was no real campus. Students seemed pretty stressed out

Members don't see this ad :)
I was disappointed there was no real campus. Students seemed pretty stressed out
What day did you interview? Usually we have exams every Monday so that tends to be a high stressed day in general. Also, November tends to be a fairly high stress month because the amount of exams we have, and the looming finals around the corner in December! I'm a first year currently so if you have any questions feel free to pm me since I don't get on here to much

How is the comraderie at TouroNY?
Since there are no large lectures....

How is the comraderie at TouroNY?
Really good probably because it's one of the smallest DO schools at ~130 students per class.

Anyone have any other impressions on interview day?

called them 3 weeks ago and was told over the phone I should expect good news (II) letter in about a week or so.....never got it. Called recently and told I'm not even close to being reviewed because they rank and review based on MCAT score.

called them 3 weeks ago and was told over the phone I should expect good news (II) letter in about a week or so.....never got it. Called recently and told I'm not even close to being reviewed because they rank and review based on MCAT score.

sorry to hear about that...this whole process sucks the life out of us premeds

Is your MCAT lower than 28?

Yes MCAT is lower than a 28. GPA/coursework is very solid and excellent ECs and LOR.

Touro seems to prioritize high MCAT students first and then interview lower MCAT students after the New Year. Don't worry about it, if everything else is good and your MCAT is abymsal, then you have a good chance of an II for the Spring.

Touro seems to prioritize high MCAT students first and then interview lower MCAT students after the New Year. Don't worry about it, if everything else is good and your MCAT is abymsal, then you have a good chance of an II for the Spring.
Thank you for the encouragement...many seem to forget (myself included) that schools interview well after winter break

Reactions: 1 users
Hey everyone how did you get the secondary form and personal statement under the 0.6 MB size limit?

Hey everyone how did you get the secondary form and personal statement under the 0.6 MB size limit?

I personally used the newest version of Adobe Reader on PC, printed it as a PDF and had issues getting it under the limit.

Okay I got it. There might be an easier way but this is how I did it.
1) Download the secondary form.
2) Shrink it using online pdf resizer
3) Markup the shrunken pdf with application that can markup pdf's
4) Write PS on MS Word and save it as pdf
5) Use online service to combine the two into 1 document.

Acceptances have started rolling in on the Touro Middletown thread. Maybe this means we will get news soon?

Acceptances have started rolling in on the Touro Middletown thread. Maybe this means we will get news soon?

I hope so!
I wonder if they have different admissions committees.
Anyone brave enough to call them?

They definitely have different admissions committees, they told us that when we interviewed in Middletown.

Hello current applicants, if you feel like you might not be a strong candidate, I would recommend to apply for the MS program at TouroCOM as well. Basically, you are taking the same classes with 1st year students, however, you are competing with your classmates for seats for next year.
The school also provides classes during the summer in order to prepare students before the semester starts. They offer Anatomy and Histology summer courses.
If you are looking to sub-lease a place in order to attend the courses, let me know. :)

Does touro send a confirmation email of primary application received?

Hello current applicants, if you feel like you might not be a strong candidate, I would recommend to apply for the MS program at TouroCOM as well. Basically, you are taking the same classes with 1st year students, however, you are competing with your classmates for seats for next year.
The school also provides classes during the summer in order to prepare students before the semester starts. They offer Anatomy and Histology summer courses.
If you are looking to sub-lease a place in order to attend the courses, let me know. :)

Funny, I was told to consider this before due to a lower mcat. How is this going to help me if my GPA is fine?..I feel like this is a selling tactic.

Funny, I was told to consider this before due to a lower mcat. How is this going to help me if my GPA is fine?..I feel like this is a selling tactic.
It's something to consider if you don't feel like your application is strong enough because if you do well in their post bac courses, they guarantee you a spot for the following year in their med school.

It's something to consider if you don't feel like your application is strong enough because if you do well in their post bac courses, they guarantee you a spot for the following year in their med school.

Guarantee or "guarantee." I feel like nothing is guaranteed when it comes to admissions

anyone know cost of attendance here? Like do we need to buy all he books or is that an overestimate?

Trying to see if it's worth even attending my interview here. Accepted at several "top" do schools already.

And woohoo for free 200$ secondary!

Just got an interview invite, for those who interviewed what was it like?
When were you complete and LizzyM/stats?
Also, search function within this thread and you'll hear some good feedback.

Last edited:
anyone know cost of attendance here? Like do we need to buy all he books or is that an overestimate?

Trying to see if it's worth even attending my interview here. Accepted at several "top" do schools already.

CoA is a factor, but the cost of living in NYC/Manhattan area, even Brooklyn or Hoboken is very high.
If you've already been accepted at top DO schools, I don't see why you would want to spend the money to go interview here.
See: cognitive dissonance and you'll lose out on the money if you do attend.
But if you're still interested, that's on you (and your wallet).

Why go to interview if ur already in at "top" schools.

It's nyc. my closest friends live there.

I'm trying to figure out a budget. Some of the schools like to overestimate the coA (Im assuming this is defined as tuition + col). So I am asking if 81000 is an overestimation or not.

I'm trying to figure out a budget. Some of the schools like to overestimate the coA (Im assuming this is defined as tuition + col). So I am asking if 81000 is an overestimation or not.

Who cares if your friends live there.

It's med school

Reactions: 2 users

Again, I'd prob just save the money and stay at the top DO school where you got accepted. CoL and cost of attendance will be very high for NYC, if not the highest in the US. CCOM may come close because of its tuition, but with the price increase in NYC lately, especially Brooklyn for example, I think NYC is the highest.
You will make friends wherever you go and if your closest friend lives in NYC and doesn't go to a med school there, he/she can be a distraction. If he/she is in a med school, it'll be nice to have a friend at another med school to compare/contrast different experiences.

Anyone else getting twitchy to hear back from the first few interview days?

Anyone else getting twitchy to hear back from the first few interview days?

giphy.gif

Reactions: 6 users