Touro COM - New York, Harlem Campus (TouroCOM-NY, Harlem) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It took me about 48 hours

Make sure you call and request a response in writing if you don't hear within a few days. They straight up didn't put a couple people on the schedule on my interview day and that's not a good way to start the day

Members don't see this ad.

What is this school's reputation relative to other DO schools?

I submited my secondary at the end of september havent heard anything from them since. what gives?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
delete

Last edited:
It's nyc. my closest friends live there.

I'm trying to figure out a budget. Some of the schools like to overestimate the coA (Im assuming this is defined as tuition + col). So I am asking if 81000 is an overestimation or not.

I dont think it's an overestimation. You'll definitely hit 70k. I just got the full 80k. I'm not doing anything extravagant either.

Book-wise, you only need to buy moore's clinically orientated anatomy and junqiera's histology.

@doczebra how do you like it so far?
Is your class "tight" (comradery) even though there are no in person lectures?
Biggest "cons" about your school?

@doczebra how do you like it so far?
Is your class "tight" (comradery) even though there are no in person lectures?
Biggest "cons" about your school?

I like med school in general in the sense that I get to become a doctor.

The class is extremely tight and social. We dont get graded against each other, we get curved against the past 3 years' scores.

Also, the no in-person lecture thing is false. We have 24 credits first semester, 32 credits second semester. Half is mandatory as in, 3 absences and you fail, the other half is graded clickers/attendance. So, not only do you see your classmates 20-30 hours per week, your are obligated to do so.

Biggest cons:
-Mandatory attendance
-1-2 tests per week, some weeks it comes up to 3-4. It's closer to 1 in first semester. It's closer to 2 in second semester.
-No research. Me and my friends that conducted side research at CUMC, Harlem Hospital, and St Lukes had to quit. Between 1-2 tests a week and mandatory attendance, it's impossible to do research.

The class is extremely tight and social. We dont get graded against each other, we get curved against the past 3 years' scores.

Also, the no in-person lecture thing is false. We have 24 credits first semester, 32 credits second semester. Half is mandatory as in, 3 absences and you fail, the other half is graded clickers/attendance. So, not only do you see your classmates 20-30 hours per week, your are obligated to do so.

Biggest cons:
-Mandatory attendance
-1-2 tests per week, some weeks it comes up to 3-4. It's closer to 1 in first semester. It's closer to 2 in second semester.
-No research. Me and my friends that conducted side research at CUMC, Harlem Hospital, and St Lukes had to quit. Between 1-2 tests a week and mandatory attendance, it's impossible to do research.

No research worries me

Because I thought research is an integral part of a competitive application for some specialties and/or ACGME residencies.

Not that I am saying I'm gunning for those but best to keep all options open.

So the only real qualm with this school is the frequency of tests and the craziness of the OMM department?

Members don't see this ad :)
So that's like most DO schools though (lack of centealized rotation sites)?

You are assigned a rotation site that will most likely be your only location for one year. Our rotation sites are not in Manhattan, and are spread from New Jersey, Brooklyn, Long Island, Staten Island, but they are year long rotation sites. You will not do one rotation at a specific site, then be forced to move to another site. If you are assigned multiple rotation sites, they are in the vicinity of one another, and easily accessible. In regards of research, yes our school is lacking. We do have funding, but not much research is being performed specifically at our school. From other students that I have spoken too, many people branch out to other areas of NYC and perform research there. There are multiple other schools located around us (Columbia, NYU, Mt. Sinai), so you are welcome to branch out. But just remember, as doczebra has said, class time is mandatory, and it is hard to make time to perform research. Many people do perform research over breaks, but there are individuals that perform research during the school year as well. It all depends on how you are at time management.

Submitted my primary for this place over 3 weeks ago and still no secondary!! Is Toro slow with turning around secondaries?

Submitted my primary for this place over 3 weeks ago and still no secondary!! Is Toro slow with turning around secondaries?
Same. I submitted primary almost 3 weeks ago too and no secondary yet. I sent an email just now so lets see.

Just submitted by secondary last week. I'm Canadian, latest MCAT - 30 (previously 27), cGPA 3.91. What are my chances? My extracurriculars are very research heavy (2 pubs) and lots of leadership work. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Just submitted by secondary last week. I'm Canadian, latest MCAT - 30 (previously 27), cGPA 3.91. What are my chances? My extracurriculars are very research heavy (2 pubs) and lots of leadership work. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

You seem fit for an interview. Sit back and relax ... it will probably be a while

Can any students or applicants that interviewed please PM me or post any useful interview feedback tips. Thank you guys and good luck to everyone

II today, deciding whether to go... Tourocom is not P/F right? I heard something about them having accreditation problems, does anyone know if that is true? Thanks!

Last edited:

Biggest cons:
-Mandatory attendance

So what is the flipped curriculum - I thought all lectures were streamed via video?

II today! Secondary submitted in early October!

It's something to consider if you don't feel like your application is strong enough because if you do well in their post bac courses, they guarantee you a spot for the following year in their med school.
If you keep a 3.5 GPA that is, which from my understanding its hard on the first year...

Funny, I was told to consider this before due to a lower mcat. How is this going to help me if my GPA is fine?..I feel like this is a selling tactic.
What is r MCAT? Last year they told me the automatic computer rejection was 24, I also have low MCAT but received an II

II today! Secondary submitted in early October!
Did you receive a complete e-mail or just an e-mail confirming you submitted your application? Trying to figure out if people are getting II even if they never received a complete e-mail.

Did you receive a complete e-mail or just an e-mail confirming you submitted your application? Trying to figure out if people are getting II even if they never received a complete e-mail.
Never got the confirmation email but got an II that seems to be the trend here. Only email i got was the standard secondary complete email

I never received a complete email; just an email confirming that I paid for my secondary app. I also recently sent them an update letter in which I also expressed my continued interest in the program; don't know if that helped or not, but it's worth a shot!

So what's the gouge on when acceptances might be handed out? I interviewed last year and from what I remember (I may be wrong) it was about 5 weeks

Lol never mind. I went through my history and apparently I wrote this last year haha

"This is just my opinion so feel free to disregard, but this seems like the type of school where they review each interviewee separately and put a lot of thinking into who they accept/reject. From past posts here it seems like some people received their status' the 2-3 weeks after interviewing, while others it was much sooner and still others it was later. Though it can be frustrating, I'm taking this to be a good sign that this school is putting a lot of thought into creating their upcoming class, and doesn't treat applicants like a number like some other schools do."

In the interview they said 4-6 weeks. In last year's forums they varied between 2 and 6 weeks. Today marked the 5 week point for me, So I have no idea but am just hoping to hear before Christmas at this point

Is this anyone's first choice? If so- why?
In the interview they said 4-6 weeks. In last year's forums they varied between 2 and 6 weeks. Today marked the 5 week point for me, So I have no idea but am just hoping to hear before Christmas at this point

I don't think anyone from sdn has heard. Obviously.

So it's been 5 weeks at minimum now for some people with no news. That's assuming some non sdn users haven't hear yet and interviewed already.

will the acceptances be sent as an email or letter mailed to the students?

Hi guys, I'm a current medical student at TouroCOM-Harlem so if you have any questions you can ask me.

Hi guys, I'm a current medical student at TouroCOM-Harlem so if you have any questions you can ask me.
Thanks lulusmith! Is it difficult to manage living with the COA allotted? How challenging is to maintain your grades with their grading system?

How do you like/dislike the flipped curriculum? Is it a lot more burden on you to keep up with the material?

"Touro, touro, wherefore art thou touro"

- my gmail

Reactions: 2 users
Anyone know if this schools has any clinical experiences during years 1 and 2?