Touro COM - New York, Harlem Campus (TouroCOM-NY, Harlem) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I feel like you're trying to stir something up. Many individuals have debt over 200k (http://www.medscape.com/features/slideshow/public/residents-salary-and-debt-report#9). Not saying it's great, or that it justifies "well, I might as well buy Starbucks everyday", but... It's part of the story these days. Especially in NY.
I have seen schools with 50K+ tuition. Their tuition is below that, but of course, it's NY.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
How late does the interview day go here? Trying to book flights.

I interviewed here earlier this month and majorly underestimated how long it would take to get to JFK from Harlem. Interview ends at 2:30. I had to ask to leave a little early during the campus tour, which wasn't a big deal, and ended up spending way too much money on a car service to the airport since my flight was at 4:30. I cut it really close. I've heard it's faster if you book through LGA. Hope that helps save you a headache!

For those who interviewed is there a relatively cheap/comfortable hotel near the school that you would recommend staying at?

I stayed at Aloft Harlem. It was ~$100/nt when I booked, and a block away from campus. Also really nice inside, and safe.

I literally just finished booking train ticket and hotel. I will leave the day after the interview to save myself from a headache.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do the pros outweigh the cons (insane amount of debt) for medical students to attend medical school in NY? Please explain

The pros and cons are different for everyone. Why does anyone live in NYC at all? Certainly near the top for COL, wages aren't better for normal jobs (drivers, store clerks, teachers, physicians, etc)... but people seem to go anyways. Same for Boston. It's for family, what they are used to, never lived in a city and want to now, etc. A big motivator may be that it's the only school someone got into, and it's a bit late to be turning in an acceptance to reapply for a lower COA school...

Main point being: are you trying to talk people out of going, make yourself feel better that you are paying the money, or...? The last 4 comments I've read of yours on here didn't add anything but 'fear', which I don't understand the purpose of. Educating other applicants about debt is very important and helpful, but I don't see any strategy/advice/etc being offered.

Reactions: 4 users
The pros and cons are different for everyone. Why does anyone live in NYC at all? Certainly near the top for COL, wages aren't better for normal jobs (drivers, store clerks, teachers, physicians, etc)... but people seem to go anyways. Same for Boston. It's for family, what they are used to, never lived in a city and want to now, etc. A big motivator may be that it's the only school someone got into, and it's a bit late to be turning in an acceptance to reapply for a lower COA school...

Main point being: are you trying to talk people out of going, make yourself feel better that you are paying the money, or...? The last 4 comments I've read of yours on here didn't add anything but 'fear', which I don't understand the purpose of. Educating other applicants about debt is very important and helpful, but I don't see any strategy/advice/etc being offered.
Im just stating facts here. Going to TouroCOM and taking out loans to pay 100% of your 4 years there will leave you in debt >$300,000 (average debt for med student is $176,000). Would this not make anyone scared? This is not even taking consideration of the interest rate.

This article explains it best: http://www.bestmedicaldegrees.com/is-medical-school-worth-it-financially/. Just because it is the "norm" to pay an insane amount of money for medical school doesn't mean it's right.. If you take out >$300,000 (which is really >$450,000 with a modest 10% interest rate) and are not afraid...then you're not in reality. It's best to not be naive about it and know what you're getting yourself into before starting medical school. Also, I brought this issue up because I'm applying for medical school as well and was wondering if there were any students out there who had any sort plan to pay for their med school without having to pay 100% of it based on loans. The rise in medical school debt is just outrageous...only 40 years it ago the med school debt was only $13,469, which translates to only $48,000 with today's dollars (source: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-278-000-means-even-bernanke-son-carries-debt). We shouldn't be numb to it and ignore it by just saying "med school's been always expensive and so who cares? just take out the loan, go to med school, and we'll pay it off later".

Accepted to Touro Harlem on 1/22/2016, interviewed 1/6/2016. I was ecstatic, and still am.

IS, 3.75 cGPA, 3.700 scGPA, 30 MCAT

Im just stating facts here. Going to TouroCOM and taking out loans to pay 100% of your 4 years there will leave you in debt >$300,000 (average debt for med student is $176,000). Would this not make anyone scared? This is not even taking consideration of the interest rate.

This article explains it best: http://www.bestmedicaldegrees.com/is-medical-school-worth-it-financially/. Just because it is the "norm" to pay an insane amount of money for medical school doesn't mean it's right.. If you take out >$300,000 (which is really >$450,000 with a modest 10% interest rate) and are not afraid...then you're not in reality. It's best to not be naive about it and know what you're getting yourself into before starting medical school. Also, I brought this issue up because I'm applying for medical school as well and was wondering if there were any students out there who had any sort plan to pay for their med school without having to pay 100% of it based on loans. The rise in medical school debt is just outrageous...only 40 years it ago the med school debt was only $13,469, which translates to only $48,000 with today's dollars (source: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-278-000-means-even-bernanke-son-carries-debt). We shouldn't be numb to it and ignore it by just saying "med school's been always expensive and so who cares? just take out the loan, go to med school, and we'll pay it off later".

No, your "facts" don't necessarily belong on this page and appear as though they are trying to scare people, as opposed to rallying them. Your interest rate of 10% is not modest but actually high. The average debt is clearly rising, as are all tuition costs in this country, not exclusively for medical school. If you feel the need to do something about it, I don't believe scaring people that made it to the school is the right approach.

TouroCOM's tuition outline is relatively upfront and allows ~$20,500 for living.
NYIT COM offers $54,000 just for tuition (without any fees or living - http://www.nyit.edu/tuition scroll all the way to bottom), whereas TouroCOM is ~$48,000 without fees. So, with an apartment and the car that is almost a necessity to realistically get to campus daily, that should start being right in the neighborhood of TouroCOM.

NYU Med offers very similar pricing model - http://www.med.nyu.edu/school/admissions/fees-and-financial-aid. They only suggest~$14,000 a year for living... which seems definitely on the low side for the city.

Even looking outside of NYC, at KCU, http://www.kcumb.edu/uploadedFiles/Content/Admissions/Paying_for_Your_Education/BudgetGuideCOMY1.pdf states that first years will pay around ~73k living off campus.

The average national debt will rise for med students. If you genuinely want to become a physician, the loans will not scare you. They should motivate you to succeed and learn how to properly manage your personal finances. Even if all this is not satisfying, there are cheaper options for med school out there (like LECOM) and if that's the most important factor then that should be a personal decision made without projecting your insecurities onto other people.

For some insight on how to potentially deal with these loans in the futures, you can start reading blogs or forums like The White Coat Investor or even just look through the SDN forums. I am sure many people had these concerns before.

Last edited:

I agree that the current cost of medical education is seriously high, but the rise in cost of education and cost of healthcare have been significantly higher than the general rate of inflation. Unfortunately, we are not in the position to address that issue. The real number to pay attention is the difference between Touro's tuition and the tuitions of other schools. In one case, I saw the total cost of a 4 year MD degree for OOS applicants was around 400k. The school was not even in a large city. Compare to that Touro seems reasonable. Again, this is all relative.

Why are yall even debating about the loan? Is it getting accepted into any medical school your first priority?
I do agree that the tuition is a lot, however, it includes all the living expenses. The tuition itself for TouroCOM is around $40k which is average for any private medical schools or just regular state schools. The other reason that your living expense is high because you LIVE in NYC. Come on man! Pretty sure Columbia Medical school is way more expensive and it is only 20min away from TouroCOM.

Reactions: 1 users
Is there a group on sdn for the class of 2020?

Did you guys see the tuition for TouroCOM?? Are you planning to take out over $300,000 of loans ...what's your plan? ( https://tourocom.touro.edu/admissions--aid/tuition--fees/)

Current Touro student here! I see no one has mentioned this but we get digital copies of all of our textbooks for free. It's all I use. I haven't spent a penny on texts and I'm in the top 10% of my class. As for tuition, it's the same as most medical schools and cost of living is area dependent. I'm a Middletown student and I love it here. I'm hoping to do my residency here too. For the dorms they're $700/month and it's nice to just ride the elevator down to class. If you want an apartment you won't pay more than $1000/month even if you go with the higher end places. I love this area. It's beautiful, not too city but it still has every amenity, just without all the traffic.

It's surreal seeing you guys come and interview. That was us last year!

Oh and the masters program is for people who don't get into medical school but want another shot. We lost two people in our class already so the administration took two masters students and offered them the seats. They just have to take the classes they missed over the summer and they're going to graduate in 2019 like we will. Anyone who gets a 3.5 in the program is accepted to start medical school the next year.

If you guys have questions, just message me. I haven't been on SDN since I was playing the waiting game and I made this account just because I remembered how helpful it was to get feedback from actual medical students.

Good luck! Touro is the best, I'm so happy with my decision and good luck to everyone this cycle.

I just submitted my primary application for this school. Is it too late. would i still be considered ?

Members don't see this ad :)
Current Touro student here! I see no one has mentioned this but we get digital copies of all of our textbooks for free. It's all I use. I haven't spent a penny on texts and I'm in the top 10% of my class. As for tuition, it's the same as most medical schools and cost of living is area dependent. I'm a Middletown student and I love it here. I'm hoping to do my residency here too. For the dorms they're $700/month and it's nice to just ride the elevator down to class. If you want an apartment you won't pay more than $1000/month even if you go with the higher end places. I love this area. It's beautiful, not too city but it still has every amenity, just without all the traffic.

Oh and the masters program is for people who don't get into medical school but want another shot. We lost two people in our class already so the administration took two masters students and offered them the seats. They just have to take the classes they missed over the summer and they're going to graduate in 2019 like we will. Anyone who gets a 3.5 in the program is accepted to start medical school the next year.

If you guys have questions, just message me. I haven't been on SDN since I was playing the waiting game and I made this account just because I remembered how helpful it was to get feedback from actual medical students.

Good luck! Touro is the best, I'm so happy with my decision and good luck to everyone this cycle.

What areas in NY are you talking about with rents being less than $1000/month?

Thanks for the info! Are dorms available for Harlem students as well?

Can you elaborate? Is this a normal number at medical schools for first year drop out?
Dorms aren't available for Touro in Harlem but plenty of apartments and choices in the nearby area - not just Manhattan but boroughs/Jersey/Long Island/Westchester area. You'll just have to sacrifice your commute time the farther you go but plenty of master's and DO students do it! :)

Thanks for the info! Are dorms available for Harlem students as well?

Can you elaborate? Is this a normal number at medical schools for first year drop out?
In first and second years not unusual. I've even heard of a guy who quit in the second year of his residency in general surgery.

Accepted last Friday. Interviewed 11/30. Third year applying.

Now if I can just find a way to come up with $2000...

Reactions: 5 users
Does someone have an idea of how many seats are left in the upcoming class ?

II today!

Congrats, when were you complete?

October, except something weird happened with my supplemental. Apparently I didn't upload the extra essay properly, so I got an email from an adcom asking me to submit it via email. Then I got the II a few minutes later. Touro's supplemental was confusing to navigate, so I'm thankful that she did that for me, and that I got an interview! Especially after that $200 secondary fee haha

October, except something weird happened with my supplemental. Apparently I didn't upload the extra essay properly, so I got an email from an adcom asking me to submit it via email. Then I got the II a few minutes later. Touro's supplemental was confusing to navigate, so I'm thankful that she did that for me, and that I got an interview! Especially after that $200 secondary fee haha
Cong! Does that mean the supplemental essay is useless for them?...

Cong! Does that mean the supplemental essay is useless for them?...
It's probably more of a factor when they ultimately consider whether or not to accept a student post-interview.

II today! Was kinda not expecting one since I was complete in October, so it's a nice surprise. As for the issue with loans you have to take into account that the "average debt for medical students" is misleading because it factors in a ton of people who won the genetic lottery and have parents rich enough to pay either full tuition or a significant portion.

How long after submission should we expect a "file-complete" email? I'm just noticing now that I never received the email. Is this why I haven't heard anything since I submitted by secondary in November? Anyone have any advice about what i should do now? stats: 3.91 cGPA, 30 MCAT, Canadian

How long after submission should we expect a "file-complete" email? I'm just noticing now that I never received the email. Is this why I haven't heard anything since I submitted by secondary in November? Anyone have any advice about what i should do now? stats: 3.91 cGPA, 30 MCAT, Canadian
I don't think that means anything, I don't recall getting one of those emails either.

Hello, I am international applicant finishing grad study in US. I'm from China. Just wondering whether you have seen some non-US/Canadian students in your class? Is the school willing to consider international, with the same criteria for domestic ones? Thanks!

Sorry, I asked the questions for you in the above post. Maybe not quoted correctly..

How long did it take for the medical forms to be verified? (Those accepted)?

immunization forms?
I haven't received any communication from the school since submitting my deposit and acceptance note. Did you get some packet in the mail or something?

I haven't received anything either. I was told that we wouldn't hear anything until it came time to pay the second deposit. What are you talking about?

Oh I was just looking on the TouroCOM-NY student section where it has various forms. One of which was the immunizations forms.

I don't think they're worrying about those yet, they haven't even filled the class

Hey guys, I'm a current student at Touro Harlem. I've been seeing you guys interview and I'd like to say congrats!

Touro is a solid school. We have a tight class. Really good OMM department, one of the best in the country as OMM is really drilled in hard and we crush the nation shelf test on OMM. The schools mission is to produce primary care physicians for undeserved communities and this school is really great at that. We have a majority of of class go into primary care. And our board performance is pretty fair. National average on comlex 1 (although some students are not allowed to write it since they dont pass Form D) and 70% pass rate on comlex 2.

I'm around if you have any questions.

Last edited:
Hey guys, I'm a current student at Touro Harlem. I've been seeing you guys interview and I'd like to say congrats!

Touro is a solid school. We have a tight class. Really good OMM department, one of the best in the country as OMM is really drilled in hard and we crush the nation shelf test on OMM. The schools mission is to produce primary care physicians for undeserved communities and this school is really great at that. We have a majority of of class go into primary care. And our board performance is pretty fair. National average on comlex 1 (although some students are not allowed to write it since they dont pass Form D) and 70% pass rate on comlex 2.

I'm around if you have any questions.

Thanks blueskies23!

why is the pass rate for comlex 2 so low for this school? could u give any insight?

26636ecdb978aaa0d8ce70b2f10a4fa7.jpg

The pass rate is higher than that. Here's the stats for the last few years.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I found the same one, but can't seem to find new information on comlex at all.

Thanks blueskies23!

why is the pass rate for comlex 2 so low for this school? could u give any insight?

There's lots different theories. Speaking to my classmates on rotations right now, some say that it's students getting lazy since we're pretty independent, others say it's because their rotations are mainly fulfilling the roles of CNAs, others saying shelf tests should be more stressed since the shelves prepare for comlex 2. Basically, if you ask four students, you'll get five different answers.

The dean is motivated on changing it though. He's trying to introduce 6 to 9/10pm webinar for 3rd years. He's still trying to work out the logistics since everyone will be on different rotations, the surgery/ER students would still be at the hospital, the technology for the webinars to include polls for grading, and so on.

26636ecdb978aaa0d8ce70b2f10a4fa7.jpg

The pass rate is higher than that. Here's the stats for the last few years.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Yeah, but within the past two weeks, we've had two faculty members say 70%. I really hope your picture to be more accurate since I am a student here and it affects me, but I think there's been new numbers and a faculty meeting since it's brought up by multiple profs within the past two weeks.

The uptrend in scores means they have successfully adjusted their admissions criteria as well as their curriculum. These numbers are rather impressive considering most schools are feverishly trying to improve their schools averages. That said, there are lots more distractions (ways to spend your time not studying) in NYC that would be say in Auburn, AL ;)

Hey is it too early for a class of 2020 group to exist? There is a housing discussion to be had

I haven't received any communication from the school since submitting my deposit and acceptance note. Did you get some packet in the mail or something?

After I paid the 2K deposit, I received an email with subject "First Deposit Confirmation & Look Ahead." In it were instructions to set up email and send in health forms, etc. It was very similar to and had a link to the Current Students section. I hope this helps!

After I paid the 2K deposit, I received an email with subject "First Deposit Confirmation & Look Ahead." In it were instructions to set up email and send in health forms, etc. It was very similar to and had a link to the Current Students section. I hope this helps!
Huh good to know! Thanks.

I just called and they had to resend me the email. It's annoying because when I first paid the deposit I called to ask if I was going to get any other correspondence and they said no so I got my email two months late.