Touro COM - New York, Harlem Campus (TouroCOM-NY, Harlem) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What did you put for how your letters were being sent? Did you add in your references on the applyyourself application part? I sent all my stuff through AACOMAS so I don't know what to do. I want to submit now, but I feel like I should call them on Monday to make sure :(

I called today and they told me to just add AACOMAS as an option under "How will your letters of recommendations be submitted?" They also said to include your name and AACOMAS id # in your essay response.

Members don't see this ad.

Is anyone receiving a notification from Adobe for the PDF? The PDF opens fine, but then I get:
Please fill out the following form. You cannot save data typed into this form. Please print your completed form if you would like a copy for your records.

So I guess I would have to fill it out, print it, scan it and then upload. Anyone having the same issue or is it just my Adobe?

I'm having the same issue. Downloaded the PDF but my adobe won't let me save any of my information. Any other suggestions or is the best bet to print a copy and then scan it?

I'm having the same issue. Downloaded the PDF but my adobe won't let me save any of my information. Any other suggestions or is the best bet to print a copy and then scan it?
You can print to pdf (which saves a pdf copy on your hard drive), I believe that option is available when you click print.

Members don't see this ad :)
We don't need to submit the immunization form unless/until we are matriculating right?

Reactions: 1 user
They also said to include your name and AACOMAS id # in your essay response.

Yeah, otherwise if they print the secondary PDF and the second page with the personal statement gets misplaced, there's no way to match it to you if you don't put your name in the personal statement area. There goes 2 lines of personal statement real estate. :/

I can't believe this school's tips email. Their solution to the secondary problems is "do not use a Mac". How about actually fixing the problems with your application instead of making it a large subset of computer users' problem?

Most people don't have the luxury of turning their computer into a pc just because this place decides using a Mac is the problem.

What I can't believe is that they think we are entering as graduate students, when we are entering as first year professional students.

Did anybody submit their application as first year professional student?

can anybody confirm if new "tabs" opened when you selected new graduate student? They seem to really emphasize this, however little sense it makes, by bolding the information in the tips email. I noticed when I submitted my application that I didn't complete a bunch of information regarding high school, but I assumed it was intentionally omitted.

Last edited:
What I can't believe is that they think we are entering as graduate students, when we are entering as first year professional students.

Did anybody submit their application as first year professional student?

can anybody confirm if new "tabs" opened when you selected new graduate student? They seem to really emphasize this, however little sense it makes, by bolding the information in the tips email. I noticed when I submitted my application that I didn't complete a bunch of information regarding high school, but I assumed it was intentionally omitted.

I did. I had already submitted my application before receiving the email from them with the Application Tips. I also did not include the AACOMAS ID in my essay and did not check my letters as being Interfolio. I just left the letter delivery system as blank since they are sent by AACOMAS. Hopefully this will not be an issue. I don't want to email them and add to their already busy inbox.

I did. I had already submitted my application before receiving the email from them with the Application Tips. I also did not include the AACOMAS ID in my essay and did not check my letters as being Interfolio. I just left the letter delivery system as blank since they are sent by AACOMAS. Hopefully this will not be an issue. I don't want to email them and add to their already busy inbox.

Okay well I already emailed them so I'll let you know what the response is. In part, some of the busy inbox is their fault. It's like assuming your applicants will know how to fill out your application incorrectly. We are going to be in professional school -_-

... What if I'm a Mac user who hasn't had any problems? I can't decide whether to proceed or arbitrarily try it on a PC.

call touro ny asap and let them know.

Anyone know why the secondary is so obscenely expensive at this place? Also, under academic plan we have to designate either harlem or middletown, but on the pdf we can mark both, anyone know if both campuses will review our file regardless of what we designate under academic plan?

Apparently, they heavily prescreen secondary, so high chance of II if you get a secondary. So it's probably another weeding out of those who don't want to commit to Touro. I think the deposit for acceptance is also 2,000. Not sure though.

It's funny how we have more questions than answers, even after the follow up email.

Just spoke with admissions. Everyone was very helpful. They said the small edits that would need to be made to my application will be handled by their office and my app is all set. Just so those of you know who also submitted before the email with the tips came out this morning.
Best of luck to everyone!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I found a document online and it seemed to have admission requirement for Tuoro-NY:

See page 2 of attached document
" Admission Requirements: To be eligible for admission into the program, a student must possess minimum standards of pre-academic training in the areas of English, Biology, General Chemistry, Organic Chemistry, Physics, Mathematics and Behavioral Sciences, including appropriate laboratory courses, graduation from an accredited college with a bachelor’s degree, a minimum GPA of 3.0 in science courses,
and a minimum MCAT score of 27. The application will be processed through the American Association of Colleges of Osteopathic Medicine Application Service(AACOMAS)."

I was wondering if it is true that they only accept people with MCAT above or equal to 27 since last year? I heard Tuoro used to screen heavily for secondary, but now they sent secondary to everyone. My MCAT is only 26 and don't want to waste $200 for nothing.

Attachments

• Touro_Req.pdf
    145.9 KB · Views: 75
I found a document online and it seemed to have admission requirement for Tuoro-NY:

" Admission Requirements: To be eligible for admission into the program, a student must possess minimum standards of pre-academic training in the areas of English, Biology, General Chemistry, Organic Chemistry, Physics, Mathematics and Behavioral Sciences, including appropriate laboratory courses, graduation from an accredited college with a bachelor’s degree, a minimum GPA of 3.0 in science courses,
and a minimum MCAT score of 27. The application will be processed through the American Association of Colleges of Osteopathic Medicine Application Service(AACOMAS)."

I was wondering if it is true that they only accept people with MCAT above or equal to 27 since last year? I heard Tuoro used to screen heavily for secondary, but now they sent secondary to everyone. My MCAT is only 26 and don't want to waste $200 for nothing.
How'd you know they sent a secondary to everyone this time around??
I thought they would follow the trend from last years and still be selective

Same boat, MCAT of 26. Guess I'm not filling out a secondary for this school :(

How'd you know they sent a secondary to everyone this time around??
I thought they would follow the trend from last years and still be selective

I think they started to be not selective since last year. But they did screen heavily previous years.
If you took a look at last year's thread, people talk about it.

Ok can someone please email me the pdf file? I've followed all their instructions and downloaded the new Acrobat Reader and I get the same error telling me I need to update the reader. The TUCOM CA application was just a word document.. I don't understand why this needs to be so freaking complicated. If anyone would be so kind, my email address is [email protected]. Thank you in advance!

So when you reach the submit application page, and print out the preview pdf, it has an entire section for experience/awards that's blank. There's no tab for this on the actual supplemental app website. Does this happen with everyone? Should I just let that go blank and have my resume and the supp app pdf attached and submit?

Is anyone else having trouble with actually uploading the pdf? I've been able to find a way to save the pdf and everything, but it says that it can't be uploaded because it's larger than 600 KB... My essay was only about 350 words long and it came out to be 657 KB. Anyone else having this problem? It seems the only way to upload it is to cut down my essay even MORE which is ridiculous since it's already pretty succinct....

Just spoke with admissions. Everyone was very helpful. They said the small edits that would need to be made to my application will be handled by their office and my app is all set. Just so those of you know who also submitted before the email with the tips came out this morning.
Best of luck to everyone!

Thanks.

Is anyone else having trouble with actually uploading the pdf? I've been able to find a way to save the pdf and everything, but it says that it can't be uploaded because it's larger than 600 KB... My essay was only about 350 words long and it came out to be 657 KB. Anyone else having this problem? It seems the only way to upload it is to cut down my essay even MORE which is ridiculous since it's already pretty succinct....

I used an app on my phone called Tiny Scanner. The further away my phone was from the paper, the smaller the file size. I eventually got it to less than 600kb (although the file size bloats after you send it to your email - you'll have to keep messing with it), and it still looked good.

I'm certain there is a better way to do that, especially with some money, but I found that out pretty quickly.

I did not save my pdf. I just printed it out and scanned it with my phone.

I used an app on my phone called Tiny Scanner. The further away my phone was from the paper, the smaller the file size. I eventually got it to less than 600kb (although the file size bloats after you send it to your email - you'll have to keep messing with it), and it still looked good.

I'm certain there is a better way to do that, especially with some money, but I found that out pretty quickly.

I did not save my pdf. I just printed it out and scanned it with my phone.

I just don't get how they didn't foresee this... first off they don't even give us a word limit and I'm assuming 350 words is within the range, so why the hell does the pdf come out to more than 600 KB? I don't have a printer right now and I want to submit now so now I have to find another way to do this without shrinking my essay....most stressful secondary ever

I didn't have such an issue when I filled out the pdf but then again, I copied and pasted my writing from Microsoft Word and then saved to pdf.

I didn't have such an issue when I filled out the pdf but then again, I copied and pasted my writing from Microsoft Word and then saved to pdf.

I did the same. I don't think that impacts file size, although I could be wrong.

and yea, it was annoying. If you look at the touro suggestions email, it seems that they expect for you to print and scan. My suggestion would be to head to a local library tomorrow and print and scan. Your other option would be to print and scan at Staples by giving them a USB with the files.

It feels like Touro admissions is a mess, gives me doubts about the quality of the education.

Ok can someone please email me the pdf file? I've followed all their instructions and downloaded the new Acrobat Reader and I get the same error telling me I need to update the reader. The TUCOM CA application was just a word document.. I don't understand why this needs to be so freaking complicated. If anyone would be so kind, my email address is du******@**alumni.com. Thank you in advance!

email sent.

If you haven't received a secondary invite by a certain date, can you safely assume Touro's not loving you? Do they send out rejections pre-secondary?

Anyone know the mailing address to send LoR to? The website is pretty vague and my committee advisor says the file is too big to be uploaded to their system. I have 2090 Adam Clayton Powell Jr Blvd Suite 519 New York NY 10027 and I think thats it, I just wanna be sure

Has anyone figured out how to get the Personal Statement tab to show on the left sidebar? I still haven't been able to do anything with my app.. I filled out all the info I could and I don't know why I still can't see the questions, help please!

Has anyone figured out how to get the Personal Statement tab to show on the left sidebar? I still haven't been able to do anything with my app.. I filled out all the info I could and I don't know why I still can't see the questions, help please!

I think someone mentioned this before, but I did not have that tab until I selected (and saved) the section where I designated what program (DO). I may have selected my status too (New graduate student, based on e-mail they sent out). Once you complete those and save the additional tabs should show up. Any chance your "Academic Plan" tab isn't complete yet? If so, it would probably be worth e-mailing or calling the admissions staff.

I think someone mentioned this before, but I did not have that tab until I selected (and saved) the section where I designated what program (DO). I may have selected my status too (New graduate student, based on e-mail they sent out). Once you complete those and save the additional tabs should show up. Any chance your "Academic Plan" tab isn't complete yet? If so, it would probably be worth e-mailing or calling the admissions staff.
Thanks for your reply. I did fill out all of the information, but I realized whenever I choose New Graduate Student and press save, it changes it back to Non-degree student..... I'm guessing I should call admissions

OH I figured it out.. I put no for matriculation status lol i thought it meant like what are we doing this year..... nvm thanks for your help!

Hey guys! I'm a first year DO student at TouroCOM Harlem campus, if you have any questions I can help answer, please ask! :)

Last edited:
I don't know if anyone answered this problem on here already, but I applied last year and therefore sent in my secondary application in January 2015, so now when I tried to make a new account, the website said I already had one. When I logged into my old account, it says that the secondary application was already submitted...because I submitted it last year. How do I fill out the new one??

I don't know if anyone answered this problem on here already, but I applied last year and therefore sent in my secondary application in January 2015, so now when I tried to make a new account, the website said I already had one. When I logged into my old account, it says that the secondary application was already submitted...because I submitted it last year. How do I fill out the new one??
The website says that you have one and if you are sure you want to make another account. Say yes and make new account.

Did anyone submit their interfolio letters months in advance (as in July...)? If so, are you resending them or just hoping that the adcom will find our letters?

Have we reached a verdict regarding how thoroughly we are screened before we receive a secondary? Given how expensive it is, I'm not entirely willing to submit the secondary just to sit at the bottom of a pile of a million applications they really won't even look at. Thoughts?

Have we reached a verdict regarding how thoroughly we are screened before we receive a secondary? Given how expensive it is, I'm not entirely willing to submit the secondary just to sit at the bottom of a pile of a million applications they really won't even look at. Thoughts?

u miss every shot you dont take

- michael jordan

-- michael scott

Reactions: 4 users

I submitted my primary in July and I didn't submit my secondary until March 31st because I was hesitant about paying the $200 application fee, but then I received an interview invite in April and interviewed two weeks later and got accepted. So I say go for it!

I submitted my primary in July and I didn't submit my secondary until March 31st because I was hesitant about paying the $200 application fee, but then I received an interview invite in April and interviewed two weeks later and got accepted. So I say go for it!

You're pretty good.:thumbup:

Did you end up attending?

supplement submitted (after a hellish couple of hours, i might add) haha. trying to get that file size down below 600kb without destroying the quality of the pdf was the true challenge

supplement submitted (after a hellish couple of hours, i might add) haha. trying to get that file size down below 600kb without destroying the quality of the pdf was the true challenge
If you don't mind me asking, how did you do this? Did you just cut down on words?

If only they would allow multiple file uploading...or expand their file size limit to 1000kb.