Touro COM - New York, Harlem Campus (TouroCOM-NY, Harlem) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Do you still need to add a recommender even if your doing a committee letter?

Members don't see this ad.

How do you guys even get the essay prompts for the secondary? After making a new email account and selecting TouroNY I didn't have access for to answer the essay questions. Side note: I applied to TouroCA earlier and had filled out the essays there. Do they get transferred over there?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think I'm going to be waiting a couple weeks to hear back from other programs before forking over 200

I will wait one more week. If I don't get a flood of interviews, I'll fork it over.

Reactions: 1 user
Welp, accepted somewhere else so one less person for you guys to compete with!

Hey everyone!

I cant seem to find the PDF, where did you guys find it in the application?

I hope you figured it out by now. If not, on the left side is "Personal Statement", click it, you will see a list of Touro programs. The very last one is what you want to click on. Depending on your browser and browser settings you should see a PDF file pop up for you to save or it will show directly on the browser window itself. Save it either way. The prompt is at the end of the PDF file.

Primary submitted. any idea on how long to get the secondary?

@Mavs88 Once you get the "Touro NY has received your verified aacomas app" email, it states 4 weeks.
I have 2 more weeks to go (rec'd 9/24) before I can email them and ask where my secondary is.
(The email said to wait 4 weeks before emailing them any questions.)

Same boat, MCAT of 26. Guess I'm not filling out a secondary for this school :(
would you mind pm-ing me the link to this? I am also a 26 and recently submitted to this school---really want to go here and am hoping its not a hard and fast number because my other stats are great. UGH

how are people uploading the secondary? They're asking for the file to be below 600 KB while the original file itself is 1MB. I compressed the file to below 600 KB and it still will not upload.

Members don't see this ad :)
they said they're going to let us know when interviews start.

Wow it seems like they're going to start interviewing really late then. It's already the beginning of October.

But they only recently started handing out secondaries.

Can someone please send me the supplemental pdf? I just can't get it. I don't know what is wrong with my browser or adobe

how are people uploading the secondary? They're asking for the file to be below 600 KB while the original file itself is 1MB. I compressed the file to below 600 KB and it still will not upload.

Print the file as a PDF. The new PDF file that is generated should be compressed more without the "forms" options.

Can someone please send me the supplemental pdf? I just can't get it. I don't know what is wrong with my browser or adobe

You should try it on another computer. People might be reluctant to share these files if sharing it might get them in trouble with the school.

You should try it on another computer. People might be reluctant to share these files if sharing it might get them in trouble with the school.
Even if someone sends it to you, you likely will still not be able to open it. The file requires a very specific program to open because of the form input boxes. I am happy to print the document to a standard PDF and send it to you if you PM me your email address but you will have to find a way to input your information into the form since it will no longer have the form input boxes.

Edit: For Spelling

Never mind guys. I ended up just calling admissions and someone helped me out. I'd rather not have someone share a file with me.

On the supplemental checklist portion, were we supposed to check off all the boxes? I left them blank and only checked off the technical standards box....I was thinking that its more for the admissions people to make sure we have everything? Did anyone else leave them blank or were we supposed to check them?

Edit: NVM I called to ask and they said we are supposed to check off the boxes lol

Last edited:
Hey guys, another first year here and I'm going to have to disagree with my colleague above. The statement that we dont have to attend lecture is misleading. We have 20 hours of mandatory class a week + tests. The total number of physical hours spent in class is pretty on par with other schools. We have the prerecorded lectures to watch on top at home before class to prepare for the clicker sessions.

That kinda translates to you going home after class and studying 5pm-11pm. My brother's experience on a west coast school went more along the lines of study 8am-5pm in pajamas at home and take the rest of the day off.

Just be aware of a school's attendance policy when picking schools.

Last edited:
Hey guys, another first year here and I'm going to have to disagree with my colleague above. The statement that we dont have to attend lecture is misleading. We have 20 hours of mandatory class a week + tests. The total number of physical hours spent in class is pretty on par with other schools. We have the prerecorded lectures to watch on top at home before class to prepare for the clicker sessions.

That kinda translates to you going home after class and studying 5pm-11pm. My brother's experience on a west coast school went more along the lines of study 8am-5pm in pajamas at home and take the rest of the day off.

Just be aware of a school's attendance policy when picking schools.
Thanks for the clarification. I read the person's post as 'dont have to go to lecture', then boom, lists 20 hours of class that we have to go to ahaha.

---
Sort of catching up on the thread, but it seems like there are problems with accessing the secondary.
I received the "app received" email on 9/24 and got the secondary via email today, 10/14, 10:38AM.

Is it still true that if you receive a secondary, you have a "high" chance for an interview? ("High" as in higher chance than other schools/normally.) It seems like for last year's thread, this was false.

I just received a secondary as well and I have the same question as the poster above. 200$ o_O is it worth it? are my chances higher?

Thanks for the clarification. I read the person's post as 'dont have to go to lecture', then boom, lists 20 hours of class that we have to go to ahaha.

---
Sort of catching up on the thread, but it seems like there are problems with accessing the secondary.
I received the "app received" email on 9/24 and got the secondary via email today, 10/14, 10:38AM.

Is it still true that if you receive a secondary, you have a "high" chance for an interview? ("High" as in higher chance than other schools/normally.) It seems like for last year's thread, this was false.

I am confused about that as well because in last years thread, and the ones before it- all claimed that getting a secondary meant a high chance of interview.

What did you guys end up doing when entering GPA on the secondary? I'm a post-bacc student and have re-taken a lot of classes so the "raw" GPA on each of my transcripts is much lower than what AACOMAS calculates it to be. Unfortunately I attended several schools and AACOMAS did not calculate what my "AACOMAS" GPA is for each individual school.

I'm thinking about just putting the raw GPA my transcript says...I don't want them to think I'm lying about my GPA if I recalculate it (especially if I make a mistake).

Also, I couldn't find an average MCAT and GPA for Touro Harlem and Middletown. Does anyone have this info? Thanks!

hmmm... I submitted my primary last Wednesday and I just received a secondary
Did they really read my entire app in 5 business days?
I don't think secondary = II this year.

hmmm... I submitted my primary last Wednesday and I just received a secondary
Did they really read my entire app in 5 business days?
I don't think secondary = II this year.
Might've been towards the end of this 'secondary batch'. Doesn't mean no, doesn't mean yes though.
Seeking insight from OMS1 and applicants from last year!

Might've been towards the end of this 'secondary batch'. Doesn't mean no, doesn't mean yes though.
yeah. I wish their website gave more info on admission, curriculum, etc.

Also, can't anyone just make a Touro applyourself account and apply? It's not like it's a personal invitation or something...

Also, can't anyone just make a Touro applyourself account and apply? It's not like it's a personal invitation or something...
Ahah I doubt someone would just throw in $200 for 'fun' though..
20 years from now, they're going to have live tracking on our apps and that generation will look at us like we were born in the stone age.
But it's not just Touro's website. It seems to be most med schools websites that don't give out much info, hence why this forum exists in the first place ahah

Did anyone else get the double "application received, will be reviewed, hear back from us in four weeks" email? I've already received this email 9/24

Did anyone else get the double "application received, will be reviewed, hear back from us in four weeks" email? I've already received this email 9/24

Dude, I swear, I got it to! I don't know if it's a mistake or what. They received my primary less then a week ago and I got an invite to complete secondary this morning then I got another "you'll receive word in 4 weeks" email! I already made an apply yourself account. The weirdest thing is, at the time my email was sent, the admissions office would have been closed. Don't know if my secondary invite was a mistake or not, although I do meet their average stats. A little odd.

Yes!! Same here! I got it about 6 hours after my secondary invitation email. It's so weird and disconcerting.

Did anyone even get a confirmation email about all their materials for their secondary being received?

I didn't all i got was the "Touro Submission Email" which says "When all of your documents are received and your application is complete you will be notified" and I never got that email they mention.
+1

Did anyone even get a confirmation email about all their materials for their secondary being received?

I didn't all i got was the "Touro Submission Email" which says "When all of your documents are received and your application is complete you will be notified" and I never got that email they mention.

Same situation, I received no confirmation email.

Just wondering if anyone can clarify for me, but was the supplemental app for this school just that 1 essay we download?

I'm previewing my application in PDF format (that blue button before I submit) and just seeing this empty PDF page is playing mind games on me not submitting! I'm not sure where to find the option to fill these out (I know I did it for TouroCA and NV) and wanted to double check before submitting and paying $200 for a potential instant reject that this isn't something we need filled out... :unsure:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-10-15 at 4.55.25 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-10-15 at 4.55.25 AM.png
    201 KB · Views: 63
I'm previewing my application in PDF format (that blue button before I submit) and just seeing this empty PDF page is playing mind games on me not submitting! I'm not sure where to find the option to fill these out (I know I did it for TouroCA and NV) and wanted to double check before submitting and paying $200 for a potential instant reject that this isn't something we need filled out... :unsure:
Read the directions Touro sent to your email...it's all in there -_-

Read the directions Touro sent to your email...it's all in there -_-

Thanks for the advice but the whole reason I was asking was because it wasn't in the directions in the emails I received and I wasn't sure if it was a technical error on my part since I was able to fill it out for CA/NV. A quick "mine was blank too when I submitted" would have been great though!

But for anyone else who might have been wondering the same thing with all the extra curricular and experience/awards section being blank upon final review and not having an opportunity to fill them out, I called the campuses (for NY) and they told me they don't need that info because it's all in our primary.

I just got an interview invite, LizzyM 65.

Edit: I hadn't even received an email marking my application as complete. I don't have any dates marked down but I probably submitted around 9/20 after struggling about how to work with that PDF haha.

Edit 2: Available dates are very soon, within a few weeks.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
II for October 26th! Middletown campus. So excited!!

Complete 9/19

Well I'm screwed. Complete 9/18. No II.

Another to the rejection pile I guess.